Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine lid/cover won't open. Help - Solved!

Kersidan

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi, I've been working on my 2003 C4S over the last few weeks and I have noticed that the engine deck lid won't release when I pulled the button in the cabin. I can hear the release mechanism working but it seems to lock again when I let go of the button as if it's releasing and then latching again if that makes sense. I had a flat battery a few weeks ago and the problem seems to have started since then but may not be related.

It's not a big problem ATM as I've got the rear bumper and lights off so I can release the lid via the emergency cable easily.

Any thought or suggestions?

TIA

I might have just answered my own question :D

Could I just need a new pair of gas struts? As the old ones haven't got enough grunt to pop the deck when the latch is released?

Could be that your battery has not enough power, thus not fully operating the mechanism... I had the same problem with the frunk lid on my 991 I could hear the latch operating but did not release.. Had to attach another battery to the extending link in the footwell, which solved the problem.

Hope it is as simple as that..

Luddite said:
Could be that your battery has not enough power, thus not fully operating the mechanism... I had the same problem with the frunk lid on my 991 I could hear the latch operating but did not release.. Had to attach another battery to the extending link in the footwell, which solved the problem.

The battery's OK as it started the car comfortably yesterday. Does the rear deck pop up a bit when released? Mine doesn't move so I'm thinking it might be the rear gas strut? Just a bit of a wild guess.

Kersidan said:
Luddite said:

The battery's OK as it started the car comfortably yesterday. Does the rear deck pop up a bit when released? Mine doesn't move so I'm thinking it might be the rear gas strut? Just a bit of a wild guess.

My struts are in good condition and hold the deck lid fully open without a problem, but when I release the lid it has never popped up.

I carefully slid a couple of finger between the lid and tail lights to open it.

From your initial description, I thought your car may have been off the road for a few weeks, thus my suggestion re the battery...
Drew-Nitram`s suggestion seems like the next logical (?) step.

Good luck.. :thumb:

Drew-Nitram said:
Kersidan said:
Luddite said:

My struts are in good condition and hold the deck lid fully open without a problem, but when I release the lid it has never popped up.

I carefully slid a couple of finger between the lid and tail lights to open it.

That's what I thought, previously I pulled/pressed the engine lid release button and the had to get my fingers under it to lift it up. Now when operating the release button I hear the mech work but it seems to lock again upon releasing the button, can't lift the lid. Odd.

Sorry I have run out of ideas, other than get someone to operate the button while you try to prise the lid opened..

Luddite said:
Sorry I have run out of ideas, other than get someone to operate the button while you try to prise the lid opened..

Thank you for your suggestions! The car is at my MIL's 120 miles away, it's been there for its winter holiday in her heated garage. I'm back up there at the end of the week and I'll investigate further.

On the engine lid each side are X2 rubber bungs .. you wind these out a bit .. this will give more tension on the lid so that when you open it these will push the lid up .

The same on the front bonnet .. the same on a Targa rear hatch .. same thing on many models basically and that it what they are there for :)

deMort said:
On the engine lid each side are X2 rubber bungs .. you wind these out a bit .. this will give more tension on the lid so that when you open it these will push the lid up .

The same on the front bonnet .. the same on a Targa rear hatch .. same thing on many models basically and that it what they are there for :)

Thank you! I understand and will adjust these when I'm up at the MIL's at the end of the week. I'll report back.

Luddite said:

Thanks for the info. Like many other threads on this subject this seems to be centred around the manual emergency release method and don't mention what was causing the problem. DeMorts suggestion of adjusting the two buffers sounds the most likely remedy. Anyways back up at the MILs on Friday so I'll take another look.

Guess you have to get it opened to adjust the anti rattle rubber stops..

From that which deMort types of his experience that it seems possible that over time the rubbers may deform and thus require adjusting to make up for the degree of deformation... :?:

Luddite said:
Guess you have to get it opened to adjust the anti rattle rubber stops..

From that which deMort types of his experience that it seems possible that over time the rubbers may deform and thus require adjusting to make up for the degree of deformation... :?:

Yep, I've got it open via emergency cable. The rear bumper and lights re off ATM as I've been replacing the exhaust manifolds and had the exhaust in bits..... fun job not!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back