Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine decarboniser 'Terraclean', has anyone done it??

Looks like 'smoke and mirrors' to me :dont know: One of the adverts featuring 'Asif' is perhaps an accurate summary.

"It was doing 44mpg and after terraclean I got 55mpg on the way home" That must have been down hill or he had a couple of ducks farting in the boot :grin:

Someone had it done on detailing world and rated it highly!

21st Century equivalent of Slick50 :dont know:

it does worked on cars where the HC levels are through the roof

Jag's, BMW, Mercedes, etc etc

if you compare exhaust reading before and after

Can't say it works on low volume high performance engineered engines ie Porsche's

berni29 said:
Hi

It is not just about carbon removal, but also giving the injectors and fuel system a clean. Here is a pic of a piston before rebuild. I was impressed, but maybe i'm easily pleased.

piston3.jpg

Berni

Was that before the clean?

The clear patches I would put down to the deposits being built up thick enough to the extent that they come away themselves.

That to me looks like an engine which was running too rich before a strip down.

Hi there

That pic is after the can of BG44K. The engine was at 185k miles and from my experience of such things these pistons have very little carbon build upon them. i have seen 993 pistons with far far fewer miles and more carbon. The plugs from the engine looked spot on, so I do not think it was running rich. I could be wrong! One coil was kaput so combustion would have been sub optimal, but I do not know when the coil failed.

Berni

Terraclean on my 993

Since watching Ed China on Wheeler Stealers magically nurse the engine of an XK8 back to below the emissions limits I have wondered if it would have any effect on my 123k mls aircooled pride and joy. A bit of internet research had yielded conflicting opinions with some calling it a snake oil whilst other think it is a genuine breakthrough, but no one seemed to have actually tried it. I was finally prompted to give it a go when the readings on the MOT last month were noted to be quite high. I have a few days off work visiting family down in Hampshire so after supplying them with a post code the Terraclean website advised me of the nearest available garage with a unit, Collisons Motoring Services in Cowplain, and the cost is fixed at £99 all in.

In order to quantify if there was any improvement I asked Collisons if they would be able to provide before and after readings from the gas analyser. These guys were as intrigued as I was to see how it would work as they have only had the unit for a few weeks and only used it on diesels so far. To see if there was any discernible feeling of change from the drivers seat both immediately before and after the process I drove a favourite set route of mine through the Hampshire countryside containing lots of winding bends and requiring acceleration through 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears, with a return stretch on the motorway. Short of a rolling road this seemed to be the best evaluation I could perform.

The machine is connected to the fuel line just behind the pump, the supplied fitments were not a match for the old K-tronic lines so the technician had to fabricate an adaptor. The fuse for the fuel pump is removed and the return line is clamped off. Two canisters are then loaded; the first to run is labelled as "Fuel Injector Cleaner" and smells slightly sweet like gas. After ~15mins the second canister is run, labelled as "Fuel & Post Combustion Cleaner". During this time the accelerator pedal is set to run the engine at 3K rpm, but it was noticeable that as the procedure progressed the engine revs kept slowly rising.

Once all was completed and another gas analysis performed I was able to compare the results before/after:

%vol CO Corrected: 0.83 / 0.57 (lowest is best)
%vol CO2 : 14.4 / 15.0 (ideal is 15)
%vol O2 : 0.76 / 0.68 (lowest is best)
ppm vol HC : 0052 / 0034 (lowest is best)
Lambda : 1.009 / 1.013 (ideal is 1)

I am certainly no expert on what the limits for these engines should be, or even what lambda actually is, but it is clear that there is a genuine reduction across the range. On the test route afterwards I paid a lot of attention to how the engine felt and was performing. Even allowing for the placebo effect creeping in there was a noticeable improvement in the lower rev range, with a cleaner drive out of bends and subsequent acceleration up through the gears. Pulling away from a standing start also required a little less clutch slippage than normal.

So in conclusion; it is certainly not going add a major boost to your engine's performance but, in my experience, it will help it to run more smoothly and cleanly. Is it worth £99? That depends on whether you want your engine to be as close to 100% as possible and to last as long as possible, with all the self acknowledged OCD'ers on here that could be quite a few people indeed. And after all it is but chump change compared to, say, a carbon handbrake lever...

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has tried it.

James.

Attachments

• dsc_0039_887.jpg
    dsc_0039_887.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 20,957
  • dsc_0040_372.jpg
    dsc_0040_372.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 20,957
  • dsc_0041_471.jpg
    dsc_0041_471.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 20,957
I considered this. I wasn't brave enough to be the first to try it though. It "sounds" like a good idea. Certainly looked convincing when Ed tried it.

tried on my 1997 993, with 100k+ miles = no difference

tried on a 2004 BMW 318 with 60k miles = real difference, mpg and emissions restored

conclusion, works on mass produced blocks but not on a Porsche

911UK said:

tried on a 2004 BMW 318 with 60k miles = real difference, mpg and emissions restored

I wonder if the two cars have been driven differently? Does the porsche get a regular dose of high revs to clear it out but the beemer is a daily driver cruiser?

Flightrisk said:
911UK said:

I wonder if the two cars have been driven differently? Does the porsche get a regular dose of high revs to clear it out but the beemer is a daily driver cruiser?

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=86207&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

:grin:

Terraclean. Have you? Would you?

A mate posted this interesting vid to me yesterday. Excuse the cheese!

Considering the age of the engines were running. What do you think?

Would you?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ByV8y1mPv7k

Snake oil :nooo:

See also "Seafoam" for the US version :roll:

Attachments

• snake_oil_203.jpg
    snake_oil_203.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 20,437
Seems pretty interesting.

On a quick google there is other positive feedback from a BMW forum.

http://www.bmwforums.info/bmw-chat/8771-terraclean-treatment-review.html

There is a service centre just down the road from me so I might check it out.

I'm going to book in for Wayne for a remap soon so might be a good idea to get this done first.

Pending other forum members who advise say away from this???

Ah I just found some 993ers postings

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=847892

Seems like the 993 engine is already pretty efficient/clean so not as much gain.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back