Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Do we have any opinions on IPD plenums?

I've been hearing mixed reviews, some saying they actually drop power and midrange punch.

Tried some searches, nothing concrete came up. See Phil997 has one on his.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

:thumb:

The return of Marty Wild said:
I've been hearing mixed reviews, some saying they actually drop power and midrange punch.

Tried some searches, nothing concrete came up. See Phil997 has one on his.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

:thumb:

Have a look at Ken's comments in this hread; http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1390727

That surely is comforting news having spent a long long time getting one into my 986. Oh and we put a new MAF in too, win win.

Interesting about the plugs!

Phil997 still around, I know I've not been on much but can't say I've seen anything from him recently.

I have had a long chat with Wayne Schofield @ Chipwizzards.

His take from all the cars he has run/mapped on the dyno with the IPD and or the GT3 throttle body is that although you 'might' see a couple of max BHP the amount of midrange torque you loose completely nulls any gains. You in fact end up far worse off.

Yep, whilst not wishing to turn this into a clash of the forum titans, I'd already received that POV personally from Mr Chipwizards.

Bought the 986 plenum and 997 TB from a mate that had them fitted, he was very happy with them. Though no dyno figures to back anything up.

Me neither, I guess my take is,

1. Wayne isn't trying to sell anything so should have no axe to grind.
2. Having spent some hundreds of ££ there's not many owners who will say it was badly spent.
3. I would bet they are often fitted at the same time as other jobs are done. GT3 throttle. Helmholtz delete. Air filter. Spark plugs. General service. Plenty of things that could change how the car sound/feels.
Like people who fit X brand of brake pads that make the car so much better. Forgetting they also replaced the 50,000 mile rusty discs and euro car parts pads!
4. If that much extra BHP was available with just a V shaped inlet wouldn't Porsche have found it in the 1000s of hrs they did on the Dyno?

Cheers

Mike

I put one on my 987 cayman S together with GT3 tb...

It certainly didn't feel any better and I felt it was worse..Just seemed to to lack zing in the mid range under acceleration...

My understanding it theres too much air and ECU can't provide the fuel to go with it..Seemingly the ECU is fairly locked down and therefore a remap can't really bring much as you can't really change the mapping ..Apologies if this is not a wholly accurate explanation but that was my understanding..

Not sure if different ECU etc makes a difference or whether its less underwhelming /more beneficial on a 3.6 or 3.8 but I took mine straight off...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back