Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering getting some LED DRL sidelights

spinnaker

Hockenheim
I am considering getting some of these LED DRL front sidelights. They seem to be a popular choice for people. My original sidelights/foglights are heavily pitted and need a good polish. I was tempted to do this and replace the bulbs with LED ones.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod13228/Daytime-Running-Lamps--DRL--LED-for-Porsche-997_2/

I don't like the yellowy coloured foglights/sidelights that come on when I lock the car.

Does anyone have experience of these. I know I'd need to manually switch them on or to mod the switch to have them come on by default.

Design911 have them but I was wondering if there were other places to source them. There is a guy on ebay who has them. Design911 refer to them as coming from 'Nordlicht' but I can't find much reference to the brand online or find them listed elsewhere?

I would be pleased to hear any thoughts on these. TIA!

If it's a brighter, cleaner LED look you're after have you considered changing the bulbs? I'm probably going to add the V6 Triton White/Amber switchback to the OE side light, which will need sanding down and a new UV clearcoat.

https://youtu.be/7KdxkZZZtmg

The look of the aftermarket DRLs on the 997.1 is a bit Marmite, and quality seems to be an issue.

Can you also change the bulbs in the drl? I mean the small one in the corner that is yellow as I'd like to change to led white and what bulb do I need to change the fog light? It's a 997 turbo

Thanks

I have considered the option of replacing the bulbs and I am still on the fence about it. I do like the more modern look and it looks like a mod done by quite a lot of people. I guess it makes the car look more youthful.

I was hoping for a sweet sweet discount at Design 911 today to make my mind up for me. Looks like that isn't happening. Those guys are expensive and also stingy! I may bounce back to bulb replacement and polishing the lenses yet.

jada07515, I don't think individual LEDs can be changed out. I suspect they are sealed units.

remarklima said:
I've done the diode DRL mod, here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=150968&highlight=

For me, it works and is 100% reversable, the diode legs just slot into the loom, no cutting, splicing or anything else.

I certainly like the sound of it being 100% reversible and not needing any real destructive surgery.

remarklima said:
I ended up getting some H11 (I think) bulbs here:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C1269CZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Then the DRL look is white and no canbus errors. Probably just that OEM tweak to freshen up without going too far.

Thanks that is great. I think I'll go down this route for now. I have just ordered a set of those bulbs. I have been looking at some from abd.co.uk but they have been out of stock for a few weeks. Great to know of someone that these have worked for and that you haven't seen any errors from them.

I didn't realise you could interchange H8, H9 and H11 bulbs like this.

spinnaker said:
I didn't realise you could interchange H8, H9 and H11 bulbs like this.

H8, H9 and H11 all mean nothing - seems like everything has a million different codes, so looked, found some and gave it a punt! :)

Well thank you kindly for sharing what worked for you. I am now on the hunt for non-amber looking non-hyper flash LED indicator bulbs and plan to update each of the bulbs in the fog/indicator units. I'll refurb the lenses and pope the new bulbs in at some point.

Sounds good! I didn't find any amber indicators that worked, and more-so didn't find any sidelights that didn't throw a canbus error.

But didn't look too hard!

I did get both my headlights and sidelights refurbished, which really helped - it removed all the yellowing plastic look and they now look crystal clear, it was a really excellent job.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back