Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coincidence or not?

Stevo

So I have a track day at Goodwood coming up soon and thought I might treat the GTS to a new pair of RSS Tarmac engine mounts. Not because it really needs it but it is a fairly easy and cheap upgrade. So as expected there is a noticeable increase in vibration but the car feels also a lot more taught and it's certainly not unbearable. I fitted them about 2 months ago and probably done 500 miles since. I then about a month ago noticed a large crack in the rear reflector strip. Being fussy I had to replace it (at £1000😡) Then yesterday I've noticed a 6 inch or so crack in the windscreen in the bottom left hand corner. Can't remember a stone hitting it and it's not chipped. My thought is that is the extra vibration responsible for the cracks or is it just bad luck? The strip is bolted and pegged to the engine cover so not really anything stressed there. Am I overthinking this?

Did you fit them yourself? How tight did you put them on?

Another thought would have been the engine is rough so causing extra vibration but you would have noticed that prior to the upgrade in the mounts.

Maybe have a look at the bolts / mounts for any signs of overtightening ie. Cracks

The bolts were torqued down correctly. The mounts are semi solid so extra vibration is a well known consequence of fitting them. Engines running fine

I have the rss mounts, fitted for about 14 months and had no issues. I didn't notice any increased nvh either. So guessing a coincidence

Unrelated / coincidence for me.

Glass would only crack from a damaged point and often a bit of shock. FWIW I have both RSS engine mounts and semi solid gearbox mounts on the car, notice the NVH and never had any issues associated.

Your insurer should sort the windscreen crack though

Cheers guys. Rang the Insurance today (sun) and auto glass are coming tomorrow morning to fix it so can't complain

Autoglass may try to fit an aftermarket Chinese Fuyao replacement windscreen. The rubber surround was totally different when they test fitted it to mine (rubber seal on the outside not the inside) so the fitter and I agreed it wouldn't be a suitable replacement. They called their HQ who then called my insurer and they eventually decided that a proper OEM St Gobain windscreen was needed. The Fuyao screen they were going to fit to mine didn't have the top tint on it either so perhaps you could reject on those grounds if you wanted to do so.

If the crack in your reflector didn't sit well with you I suspect a different fitting windscreen might also not feel right. Worth checking before they fit it though!

I had a massive problem with Autoglass and my insurers. They refused to fit OE, and fitted the Fuyao. It whistled at speed. I went round in circles and finally gave up when they agreed to fit the OE screen, but wanted £975!

As the car has it's glass out in any case I bought one from OPC for £501.11 plus VAT instead.

The Chinese copy is fundamentally the wrong shape. It's not recessed correctly in the top left and right corners. It sat flush on the main edges of the A-pillar and the roof.

Never let Autoglass near your windscreen. I had the same whistling problem with my previous 330D Touring when they changed the screen in 2010. I thought they might have improved in the last 13 years. Apparently not.

Don''t do it

I had the same issues on my previous 997.2 S, after Auto glass did 3 refits it eventually went into Porsche fore a genuine screen and professional fit, as it was a complaint Auto glass settled the bill. If you let Autoglass touch it make sure the fitter has changed 997 screens before and is aware of the Sat nav cable etc on the n/side . Nightmare in the wrong hands with the wrong parts 😱

Coincidence

Don't know what part of the UK you are in, I live between Milton Keynes and Northampton. Corby windscreens came out and replaced mine, they fitted one made by Saint Gobain Sekurit. Same as the Porsche one but without the logo. I only had to pay the windscreen excess, insurers were LV. [/quote]

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back