Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne starting query

Zorro

Montreal
I've a 3.0 litre diesel 958 Cayenne and the starter always appears to be slow to turn over even though it fires up straight away. I've had the car for six years and it's always been the same, so I assume it's not a battery issue, but more of a lazy starter motor. The car is still under an extended Porsche warranty and when I took it for a service a couple of days ago I asked if it could be assessed, but the response was "they are all like that". I wonder if all yours are like that or whether I am being fobbed off.

Zorro said:
I've a 3.0 litre diesel 958 Cayenne and the starter always appears to be slow to turn over even though it fires up straight away. I've had the car for six years and it's always been the same, so I assume it's not a battery issue, but more of a lazy starter motor. The car is still under an extended Porsche warranty and when I took it for a service a couple of days ago I asked if it could be assessed, but the response was "they are all like that". I wonder if all yours are like that or whether I am being fobbed off.

Do you have a multimeter and someone to assist to see what the battery voltage drops too during cranking? Can at least rule that in or out :thumb:

Porsche warranty applies to broken or defective items only im afraid .. Mid Sussex is merely repeating Porsche instructions as basically they won't pay for it under warranty .

Starter motors on these cars spin over pretty quick ... they do on all Porsche,s , having just replaced one on a V8 2010 cayenne i was actually surprised at just how quickly they can spin over .. i had kinda taken for granted it was a normal speed until i actually fitted a new one .

whether yours is slow or not i can't say .. a video perhaps so i can listen would help .. videos need a youtube link btw .

At the end of the day though .. it does its job and i prefer money to be spent on items that don't .

golfprorich said:
Do you have a multimeter and someone to assist to see what the battery voltage drops too during cranking? Can at least rule that in or out :thumb:

I don't, but I guess I could go to my local battery and tyre depot to get it checked. The fact that it hasn't changed over the years is strange though.

deMort said:
At the end of the day though .. it does its job and i prefer money to be spent on items that don't .

Valid point.
You are right that Porsche only replace when really necessary.

I'm Shoreham side of Brighton .. your East sussex .. you are more than welcome to drop by my house one weekend after lockdown and i'll have a listen ..

I'm afraid i will probably just say .. yup .. pretty normal .. but the option is there if needed .

deMort said:
I'm Shoreham side of Brighton .. your East sussex .. you are more than welcome to drop by my house one weekend after lockdown and i'll have a listen ..

I'm afraid i will probably just say .. yup .. pretty normal .. but the option is there if needed .

Thanks for the offer, I've asked OPC Tonbridge to review the answer to my query in light of comments here.

mine was getting slower and slower, so i replaced it, now it spins very fast.

not an easy job, but doing it your self will save a fortune, the starter motor alone from the dealer is around £900.

I got a new bosch one for £150 from autodoc, and took me about 4 hours to swap out, its in the top of the V in the 4.8L V8 , under the fuel rail.

I've got the 3.0 diesel too. It's always slow and lazy when its around freezing outside but fine otherwise.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back