Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CAT D Advice - To Sell

topgunmatt

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for your opinions on a guide price for a 1998 Porsche 911.
It's a manual and has done 112,000 miles, in artic silver with a PSM exhaust.
Has service history and had an engine rebuild in 2009 at 65,000 miles.
Have paperwork and pictures showing CAT D in 2008 with the rear bumper damaged.
Few little marks around the front and rear bumper but overall a very nice car.
Would welcome your opinions please everyone 😀

It's generally accepted that the value of a Cat car is 66% -75% of an otherwise identical straight car.

fyi a 10 year old 996 would have been worth sub £20k trade in 2008 so the damage need not have been significant for it to have been written off.

T8 said:
It's generally accepted that the value of a Cat car is 66% -75% of an otherwise identical straight car.

fyi a 10 year old 996 would have been worth sub £20k trade in 2008 so the damage need not have been significant for it to have been written off.

Thanks for your reply, 😀

This cat c/d/s thing is really misleading.

The catagory is an invention of the Insurance companies.

In the old days a write off was a car that had been smashed to pieces with chassis damage and other horrible things.

Now whether it is a c/d/s/ etc is down to the cost of repair against using mfg origional parts and labour costs. Labour costs are determined by overheads not skill. I have used some very posh toilets at Porsche main agents.

So is the car nice, well looked after, all swage lines correct, drives in a straight line?

If so, and you like it , buy it or walk away.

My own car was a cat s because of a dent in the rtear qtr which cost £160 to beat out by a skilled crafts man, it did not need £6.5k of a new qtr panel plus fitting at £180 per hour!

I rest my case.

Not very sure how they work out their categories at all, I think Insurance companies really lack consistency, this is the same with household claims.

Our company carry out property Insurance repairs for several insurers, this can be fire, flood, subsidence etc. Id do the surveys and work out the costs.

They send out a loss adjuster and sometimes they agree to replace an entire kitchen because there is one damaged unit, then on another occasion, they will try to get away with just changing one cabinet. basically - same/similar damage but different loss adjuster.

I had a 996 cab that was my first 911, after one year of ownership, a car pulled out in front of me and damaged the wing, door, bumper, rad, wheel and bonnet.
Insurers tried to send me to a place this did ambulance repairs, you couldn't make it up.
Anyway, i made a lot of fuss and they then sent me to Bodytechnics in Slough, who do really high end repairs, they worked out an estimate and the job came to over 18K. this was more than i had paid for the car, plus insurers agreed to a full set of refurbed wheels, (Chris Excel did these).

The car was not worth more than 15K at the time plus I had been provided a nice BMW cab for several weeks, whilst all this was going on. All part of the claim.
There was never any mention of writing the car off or Cat D Cat C or anything. So it's all a nonsense, I think it just depends who gets the job on their desk and makes the decision.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back