Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying a 997.2 Turbo?? Lemon Finally gone - Fuel EVAP Fault

v8fettler

Silverstone
After having the car 3 years, the fault for 2 years, and 18 months arguing with Clydesdale Bank/Financial Services Ombudsman, it's finally gone!!

What a horrible saga it's been, and I feel sorry for anyone who has had to reject a car to a Bank/Dealer etc, or had to go through the lengthy and tedious Omudsman Process.

Either way, now its gone, and no longer my responsablilty/loss, I can share what was (well, is today at least) wrong with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_JQeijsWoW247uWXHCBOLQ/

Every time you fill it up, it spits the fuel back our again. Varying amounts depending on how hot it is outside, and how hot you got the car driving it. Between 5-10 litres would make its way back up the filler neck, and out the neck, down the overflow drain to the back of the front wheel, or in some cases, that fast it would just gush over the bodywork.

OPC Leeds have been useless. They failed 5 times to fix it over 6 months. The first time they said I'd over filled it (not sure they understand gravity, never mind pressure etc). Service Manager even quipped when I took it to be filled the second time with a Service Tech, that "we'll see if you over filled it today won't we", big grin on his chops... Wasnt smilling when his tech came back scratching his head.... :x

Anyway, I'll be writing up the full details as a record for anyone else in this sort of arguement, as a record of Porsche Leeds, Porsche GB (including Warranty) and Porsche GMBH's failure to fix a dangerous issue multiple times.

I'll also be writing up the whole arguement with Clydesdale Bank and the Ombudsman too, holding me a financial prisoner for over two years with a car I couldn't drive, all the while having to make the payments and keep it maintained just incase I lost my case.

Beware chaps, It's not just rogue dealers who can screw up your Porsche Ownership dream!!!

Re: Buying a 997.2 Turbo?? Lemon Finally gone - Fuel EVAP Fa

Just watched those videos. What the actual heck? Sorry to hear about your woes; that must have been stressful. Interested to read the full write-up :eek:

No wonder you are peeved, this is appalling, has no one had this issue?

Has it been fixed prior to returning it?

I look forward to reading more.

Ouch, sounds painful, but so happy to hear you got a resolution now.

A very unusual problem! Would be interested in DeMorts view on this fault. Glad it's sorted for you and hope it hasn't put you off Porsche ownership.

Was that it? A trickle of petrol spilling back? Wouldn't have bothered me. I'd have put the cap back on, bosh...

Have you drilled a hole in your fridge door to check if the light goes out when you shut it?? :floor:

OP, do you thinking might be an idea to pop the reg up of your former car so that if it comes up for sale before you get your write up done,so that the next punter doesn't get lumped with the issue? :?:

That is actually a serious safety issue .. it's not possible for that to happen when " over filling " .. that is a pressure pushing fuel upwards .

The video alone is proof there is an issue .. every Mechanic knows thats not at all correct so my sympathies Sir for the agro you have had with the OPC .

Rule of thumb as difficulty filling has been an on off issue for many years .. but not this ..

Fuel filler neck has a tamper proof flap at the bottom .. you would remove and inspect the flap .

The neck has an air vent pipe and valve .. again you would check these ..

lastly there is the evap system .. this again would be checked .

You have the fuel pump as that's the only other thing in the tank but im struggling atm to see a fault with that which could cause this ..

if you had eliminated everything else then you would replace it regardless though as there is nothing left .

issues with tank collapse are evap related .. so its the main item i would be thinking of even though this is the polar opposite .

Whilst i have never seen this it would be an interesting fault to work on .. from a professional point of view only .

I can't imagine it's too complicated. A collapsing tank would surely be caused by vent blockage. Surely this is a vent issue? It's not exactly the Enigma code.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Was that it? A trickle of petrol spilling back? Wouldn't have bothered me. I'd have put the cap back on, bosh...

Have you drilled a hole in your fridge door to check if the light goes out when you shut it?? :floor:

Did you not read full explanation. It continues even when the cap is replaced and lotres of fuel are lost. Until pressure has equalised. Not right, not good, not fit for purpose.

Filling issues can be common on some cars (GTR being one)

very disappointed with the experience of the OP with what seems like a straight forward issue - as a last resort OPC would have replaced various parts by process of elimination (new tank and inlet pipe assembly)?

kjb1 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Did you not read full explanation. It continues even when the cap is replaced and lotres of fuel are lost. Until pressure has equalised. Not right, not good, not fit for purpose.

It's a vessel and a vent. It's not exactly splitting the atom either.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back