Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake squeal

stonerose

Trainee
Happy Boxing Day - just did a run through Oxon, Wiltshire! High pitch brake noise on my 991.1 c4s when coming to a stop. I can’t believe this is normal and accepted part of owning a sports car. Dealer said it could be ‘brake dust’. Would a pressure wash solve it?

My previous 991.1 C4S had brake squeal on and off from new during the 20K miles I owned it.
Even had the pads replaced under warranty in an attempt to cure it.
Didn't really work and the squeal would come and go depending on temperatures, driving conditions, etc.
If power washing, do not aim the jet directly at the calipers/pads as this can potentially cause damage.
P.S. squeal on a GT3 with iron discs is always there and generally obtrusive

Happy Boxing Day - just did a run through Oxon, Wiltshire! High pitch brake noise on my 991.1 c4s when coming to a stop. I can’t believe this is normal and accepted part of owning a sports car. Dealer said it could be ‘brake dust’. Would a pressure wash solve it?
how old are the discs and pads ? assuming they are oem

My new to me C2S has the same issue. Sounds like a London underground train when slowing down in traffic.
The rears discs and pads are only a few months old, but I can't really tell which end the noise is coming from.

Hoping to find a solution too, as it's a bit embarrassing at times!

Doesn’t this just mean you’re driving too slowly too often?

Regular blats with some hard stops should help rough up the pads and discs enough to stop the squealing?

Doesn't seem to have worked for me. Difficult to find anywhere to really give them a good hard stop in this weather though.
Even when I have, the squealing comes back pretty much straight away.

oem pads shouldn't do this at all,

missing or worn brake shim, maybe worth refitting or renewing

New pads and discs fitted as bought approved used. Porsche Reading can’t see me for three months (bought from East London Porsche).

New pads and discs fitted as bought approved used. Porsche Reading can’t see me for three months (bought from East London Porsche).
Are you unable to get the car back to East London?

Drive it harder and brake harder. Need to get the discs hot.

So my Indie tells me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back