Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster roof problem just got a lot worse!

Enjoyingtea64

Hi Gents
Last week the roof wouldnt go down every time i flicked the switch. I would have to open and close the latch a few times and then all worked fine. I took advice and ordered a new micro switch that will be here this week.
Whilst lowering the roof a few days ago I heard a loud bang and everything stopped moving (the roof mechanism). I discovered both white plastic ball and socket joints on the arms had snapped, apparently a common fault. Unfortunately one of the arms sprung up and somehow wedged itself between the rear hatch and the soft top. After some manoeuvring I managed to free it and get both arms off. Greased everything up and installed new white plastic caps for the ball and sockets. All well so far. Turned car on, flicked switch and absolutely nothing, no sound of the rear mechanism working at all, and also the windows didnt jump down the few inches that they usually do when i undo the roof latch. I checked every fuse and found one blown, a small 1.5 blue fuse, this belonged to the cigarette lighter that now works fine. Not sure if it was blown before as never used it. Everything else appears as new. Took out the green fuse 30 that according to manual is the fuse for the convertible roof . Again nothing happened. Replaced the fuse with a new fuse. Checked the 30 fuse terminal and it has electricity going to one side as it illuminated the test lamp. The sign on the car computer says " Convertible top not in limit position". The yellow engine management light is also on.
I took both arms off each side of the roof mechanism as per the manual for emergency closing. Was easily able to close the roof manually and open and shut the rear lid. Greased everything up. Do you guys think a replacement micro switch will be the problem or is there something else I can try before going to the dealer. Could I have snapped a hidden wire somewhere etc when the roof got jammed? I spent hours on the car today but cant find the problem.
Many regards.

update on roof

Just a quick update incase it helps anyone else. Checked all fuses. The broken ends of the arms in the rear (common fault according to the net and YouTube), replaced with the metal screw in heads from germany. Lubed everything up to do with the roof mechanism. Checked microswitch and looked as new. However, checked connections with a tester and found i had electricity to the switch but nothing happening. Ordered a new microswitch for the roof from here. Arrived, put it on and all worked fine. Roof a lot smoother and quieter, however not perfect as heard a rubbing sound. Checked roof and saw mine was sagging a little where the elastic strap should be (they help pull and guide the roof behind the plastic edge). My straps on both sides were frayed and useless. Repaired with new elastic and a needle and thread as per youtube videos. Roof now closes even smoother than before with zero rubbing noises. Anyone with a roof problem will know what I was talking about and will have watched the same videos as me.
Regards

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back