Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bilstein B6 Poor Ride

phone

Recently changed shocks C2 Cab from the worn out originals to Bilstein B6 with original springs. The ride is absolutely awful very crashy at low speed, you feel every gap in the road and on a B road at speed it doesn't absorb the bumps at all well. It is on 18 inch turbo look wheels and Michelin PS5. I have reduced the pressure to 38r and 34f but no improvement. The geometry has been checked twice and is within specification.
I have tried to get advice from Bilstein but can only send them web messages and they have said to do 1500 km and it should settle. I have done far more distance than this and it is getting no better. The ride is so bad I just don't enjoy the car anymore.

On a different car, but replaced all the dampers on our R32 Golf with Bilstein B6's.

They are definitely "firmer" than the original worn out dampers on the car. They are a monotube design so take a little bit more to get moving than twintubes and hence the low speed ride, but they are fabulous when moving a bit quicker. They did settle in a little bit.

You could try speaking to an expert like Center Gravity and see what they say? The Bilstein's can be rebuilt with different internal valving if needed too.

You've upgraded from old saggy OE to a firmer set up; I'd switch to new OE dampers if you liked it as it was.

FYI I had to send my Bilstein PSS10 back after a few thousand miles to get them revalved. The ride was terribly stiff. So much that even on the bottom setting it was uncomfortable.

They reduced the rate by 35% and is much more useable. Cost was about £500.

DM if you want a contact.

What made you choose those (stiff) dampers because I'm not sure they're a great combination with a cab bodyshell, the heaviest wheel and standard springs?

I dumped the 18" turbo twists as my car was a pain to drive on country roads. Went back to 16" when it was my wife's daily driver (all development and testing of the 993 was on 16" wheels) but now settled on 17" Cup 2's for recreational use. Still on original M033 dampers/springs. Go back to OEM dampers especially on a Cab.

As Rob Dickinson (Singer Vehicle Design) often says "It is very easy to modify a 911 ... to the point where you never want to drive it!"

I have that set-up on a C4 and it's great. Point to note though - I had Turbo look wheels, switched to hollow spoke and noticed a big improvement then finally switched to really lightweight 18" Oz wheels and the transformation was amazing. Shocks were added after so have only experienced them on decent wheels. Could it be the suspension is now revealing the issue with the heavy wheels (compounded by cab body)? Just a thought.

Bilsteins are at the stiffer end of the spectrum. Generally people go Koni (what were FSD) for a more compliant ride. The wheels are heavy and with standard springs will make it crashy TBH. Consider moving the shocks on to someone for a small hit (plus labour obviously) and go Koni or OE

Additionally well worth reading Kim Hollamby's post from a number of years ago, he tried almost all the combinations to find something that suited his tastes.

Spoken to Bilstein and they have been very helpful.
I will send the old shocks to them and they will Dyno them to get an idea what the damping curves are. They will check my B6 to make sure they are within specification and then with a discussion they can revalve mine to get close to original.
I accept that new shocks will be firmer than old soggy worn ones but as has been suggested on a Cabriolet there is a limit !
I am sure this is the best way forward

As was said previously Koni special active dampers are great on Britains horrible roads, I have them with H&R lowering springs and the ride is just fine over suffolks' bouncy B roads, they are also very well priced.

I have car booked in for new shocks and a ton of other stuff this month at SCS.

I would normally go OEM but the Porsche Classic green ones are insanely expensive. And shortages on Bilsteins, possibly due to Porsche buying them all up!

I categorically do not want a stiff, crashy ride. I believe Bilstein do a 'B6' and a 'B6 Sports'? Is this right? Availability better on 'B6 Sports' - particularly rears.

Which ones do people have that they feel are too hard?

Thanks a lot - normal C2 pre-vario.

Update:

SCS has fitted 4 x Koni, 4 x new top mounts, bump stops, rear upper/lower arms and rebushed front arms with Superpro poly bushes. Plus various other bits and pieces. Then total alignment.

Quick drive back shows car to be much better. Definitely not too hard. getting good feedback from rear and it 'sits down' better.

Decision made after canvassing opinion at JAZ, CG and SCS. Bilstein a possibility but still not sure on which ones are firmer and also supply issues. Koni best for performance and price and (sort of) recommended by CG. Only downside is Koni quality not as good as in Ferrari era - won't last as long.

I'm happy, if poorer.

Have the re-valved shocks back on
It is so much better The problem was the rears that where much to stiff The damping curve was made to follow the old ones plus a bit to allow for wear.
Bilstein where very helpful and approachable :thumbs:

Just fitted Koni Actives with original M033 springs (springs do not wear out!) and the ride and handling are superb. Highly recommended.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back