Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bang after 102 days

Blimey there's a lot of metal debris and damage. when have they said they will tell you whats happening :dont know:

D6A74DEA-BC64-484C-A167-CED210B657C5_zpspe9bdpoe.jpg

5A206430-C63A-487E-B00B-C1C1A25BF38C_zpse7zpvlwc.jpg

2DC38B03-8181-44EB-B8DE-2FC8B236F98D_zpsyzskfzv4.jpg

Phil 997 said:
Blimey there's a lot of metal debris and damage. when have they said they will tell you whats happening :dont know:

I've asked them for a report on the exact cause. They said it needs a whole bottom end. I have questioned what was replaced in the rebuild last year and what has failed this time.

It looks as if a rod gave up and made a bid for freedom, what an awful mess. Sorry to see that.
MC

Something either broke or came undone .. i count only 5 pistons in the pictures as well .. i dont think ive ever seen that amount of damage in over 12 years to be honest :(

Even 1 of the liners has "D" chunked .. dear god !

I atm cant see anything thats salvageable .. i am truly sorry mate .. i dont think it could be any worse .

EDIT ..

I just watched the video .. a rod let go .. what a mess .. ive never seen anything like it :(

Sorry for your troubles, but if you don't mind I'll give you a different direction to focus on.

Imo what you should be focused on is not what happened, but how you can ensure that when you get your car back, that it is unlikely to happen again. The engine from the pictures is toast. I don't build these m96 engines as we focus on turbos, gt3, and older engines and just don't have the time, so we send these purely for time basis to Grant and Baz at Hartech, apart from the fact that I know they are experts in these engines of course.

An engine is an engine and when you have a complete failure like this, the biggest problem in the rebuild (apart from sourcing replacing parts) is making absolutely sure that no debris is anywhere else in the engine after rebuild. A simple piece of swarf in an oil way that is missed can then lead to the same issue. Anyone who thinks that it is easy to remove everything is mistaken - it takes hours and hours to ensure so personally in your position I would want someone like Hartech rebuilding this, because they will have faced this issue before. Maybe the garage has this experience - I don't know.

It could be that your garage if you have a chat with them, might be prepared to subcontract the work for example to Hartech. I think they have blocks available on exchange maybe. Even if you have to make a contribution so that you know you have a good engine then I would not dismiss that idea.

Also, although minor, with a new block comes a new engine number. Whilst it is not material on your car in terms of value, it still has some impact.

I do feel sorry for the garage as well. Most places do their up most to ensure that rebuilds do not come back to them - it is not financially wise to have a different outlook.

I would try and work with the garage and see what can be done. You will achieve more that way - could be like I suggested that you end up with a better engine and it costs them less as well.

Good luck with everything. :thumb:

Ken

Looks like the rod for cylinder 5 has given up, what a fookin mess that is, its machined the crank carrier almost into 1/4's.

It's a shame the video doesn't show the right hand case half as there could be a good reason the rod gave up like the liner dropping (think I read it had work on 4, 5 & 6) or turning.

Do you have any pics of the righthand case half :?:

Harv said:
Looks like the rod for cylinder 5 has given up, what a fookin mess that is, its machined the crank carrier almost into 1/4's.

It's a shame the video doesn't show the right hand case half as there could be a good reason the rod gave up like the liner dropping (think I read it had work on 4, 5 & 6) or turning.

Isn't the right hand case half underneath the left one in the video?

All other photos I have posted below. The video and these images show everything that was on the bench. Is it all there?????

B4BC2957-7CBD-446A-94AD-FAA06CCD1614_zpstbwglgtv.jpg

E203894A-C3DB-4D6F-90EC-C38C054C1260_zpscr3nf3fi.jpg

6470C7F9-AB71-4EFB-A4F2-09113D77C65F_zpssu5qpedo.jpg

C45B88A7-3CD6-4381-9A02-83BF2D086E8B_zpsptpw006o.jpg

7AC26FFE-3A4D-40EF-8036-DC1452F34E62_zpsqsplk9qo.jpg

162D5111-2F64-452E-9A10-933EA65154BA_zpsuikc04lk.jpg

4EB38F5A-647F-4340-BFF9-E9FE62B82070_zpshe5of83b.jpg

2E156446-2B9C-4714-B7B4-59ACAFB05764_zps09eh7lur.jpg

Yes the right case half is there, it's obscured by the left case half in the video and photo's, it may not show much but would be interesting to see a photo of the cylinders taken from the inside.

Ask for the pic above and also see if they did all their own in-house matching to fit the liners or if the work was farmed out, if so to whom (don't need to disclose this, just retain it for your info).

Really hoping that you get to a better place with this and either the dealer or engine shop have some options to move forward with. Any 'decent' firm should have some form of professional indemnity Insurance against poor workmanship etc but I've no idea what it would take to peruse this course of action and what costs could be recovered.

Harv said:

Both crankcases are stacked and are equally messy although 4-6' bores are obscured by 1-3 on top of it.

EDIT to say Harv already spotted the above.

I could have told you exactly what had happened to that engine without removing the engine and there won't be much at all that will be salvageable from it apart from maybe vale gear and possibly heads if the pistons didn't cause too much damage or the vales didn't get bend, some look a little lifted from their seats though.

I would be worried using that crankshaft again as the whole centre of the crankshaft carrier and crankcases have been compromised and may have thrown the crankshaft off somewhat if it flexed at all.

I can see both conrod bolts so it doesn't look like a bolt failure which is a usual suspect but there only looks like half a conrod on the bench under the casing debris, unless the other end is hidden but I think it would be long enough to be seen.

I think a used engine is the way forward for this one, there are too many parts required and as particles are everywhere you would need to buy new AOS and the in sump AOS' as these could have debris lurking, there are a few items I wouldn't want to re-use. The individual parts to make this engine up again would be eye watering before any future proofing.

Good luck with whatever gets sorted.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is for the seller to sort; it's less than 6 months from sale

CFo said:
Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is for the seller to sort; it's less than 6 months from sale

I'm not saying anything different, I am making scarletboarder aware of the questions to ask when they reassemble if that road is taken, the crankshaft is my main worry if it's reused. There has been a lot of fatigue to that engine, chains may look OK but who knows what they have been through and many other items will have been stressed.

Look at the parts list of what is required to fix this engine, I personally would be happier with a fully inspected used engine this time and I would usually advise to steer clear of such a thing.

Wow, that is probably the most catastrophic engine failure result that I have ever seen, as Infrasilver says, NOTHING is re-useable with any margin of safety :nooo:

Looks like the conrod in cylinder 2 or 5 ( don`t know enough about this engine to tell which side ) let go and carved the crankcase in half, destroyed everything and tore the IMS ( tube ) shaft :sad:

I`d be persuing the seller if it was my engine, but then I have done this sort of thing before and won, albeit not actually recouping the cost of the legal fees, but hey, I won and that`s what matters to me :thumb:

If the seller doesn`t cough up, I would go the used engine route and then part ex the car, at least that way you are not £12K out of pocket, maybe just £6K :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back