Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another 2001 C4 project car!

Re: Turbo engine option

jer said:
Jezzag60 did you look at the option of using a 996 turbo engine instead (without the turbo's) which would be easier to get hold of and cheaper ?, making it more into a GT3.

cheers
Jer

By the time you have changed the turbo bits to none-turbo bits. Heads, cams, crank, rods pistons, intake, exhaust, IMS, you will be in a world of pain which could have been alleviated by just buying a GT3 engine in the first place.

MC

Re: Turbo engine option

jer said:
Jezzag60 did you look at the option of using a 996 turbo engine instead (without the turbo's) which would be easier to get hold of and cheaper ?, making it more into a GT3.

cheers
Jer

It did very briefly cross my mind when I saw a very cheap turbo motor on eBay a few weeks back but as MC says there are a lot of differences and the price of some of the re-build parts is pretty scary! Not sure on gearbox options either, anything Gt3 related fetches stupid money.
I quite like the idea of the 991 motor, an x51 pack 3.8 with a decent exhaust and re-map may be near 450bhp...... I don't want to think of the cost to buy a mezger motor and then tune it to 450bhp!!!

Jezzag60 said:
I'm still kicking myself for not buying some 18" Cayman GT4 wheels that were on eBay a year or so ago - maybe one day another set will come up

Don't kick yourself too hard. I ummed and erred over a set of Spyder alloys (which were fitted to the Boxster Spyder and the GT4) a few years ago which were available for under £1000 (ridiculously cheap). I should have just bought them really but by my calculations the offsets were completely wrong, being for the 987.2 platform and being wider then the standard 987.2 alloys.

For what it's worth I really like the 52's. How did you do the 2wd conversion and retain the ABS rings?

Griffter said:
For what it's worth I really like the 52's. How did you do the 2wd conversion and retain the ABS rings?

I've swapped to C2/Boxster front hubs. Just needed to swap the abs sensors over as the boxster ones had a different connector.

I'm not too upset about the wheels and I'm loving the 1552's at the moment.

I've done the same with the RWD conversion and swapping to C2 front uprights. What did you do with the brake lines, did you swap the brakes pipes on the back of the caliper over to the C2 lines or just bend the C4 existing lines to suit.

Regarding engine choice, there's an American chap on YouTube building an older 911 and using a Subaru Tribeca H6 engine. He's fitting a couple of turbos to it and in standard for, it should produce about 400bhp. He spoke to a place that build those engine for dune buggy's or something and they said with upgraded rods and pistons it would happily run 700-800bhp.

He's also got an adapter plate so a 996 gearbox bolts straight up to it, some jiggery with starter motors but nothing major.

The engines cost about 1000-1500 and once is place look incredibly similar to a Porsche engine

The channel is called Rennch if I mind right, might be worth mulling over

Locosaki said:
I've done the same with the RWD conversion and swapping to C2 front uprights. What did you do with the brake lines, did you swap the brakes pipes on the back of the caliper over to the C2 lines or just bend the C4 existing lines to suit.

I just made the original lines work with a bit of gentle persuasion!

So, a year has passed and not too much achieved on the mod list. Got a ducktail spoiler fitted, it fits in to the original tailgate replacing the active mechanism with a fixed spoiler. Quite happy with it. Needs a better paint job as I just rattle canned it to see how it would look.
Had a bit of a play around with tyre sizes going for a slightly wider front tyre. Sits a bit nicer and has a bit more front end grip.

On more interesting news, I have bought a 997.2 MA101 3.8 engine and manual gearbox!

Project of conversion to manual and swap to Dfi can begin!
Will think about putting the original 3.6 up for sale whilst still running and driving in the can so someone can see and try it before it's removed.

Attachments

• 77474e14_8178_46ea_b3b4_cf1686d1eee3_712.jpeg
    77474e14_8178_46ea_b3b4_cf1686d1eee3_712.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 555

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
white981gt4
Back