Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A speeding ticket? But officer, I was alseep at home!

Porsche News

When Emily Davies parked her car outside her house and went to bed at 10pm as usual, she had no reason to believe Merseyside Police would be on her case.

But by the following morning they had given her a £60 speeding fine - even though her car had not moved an inch.

The 'model' driver, 19, was apparently flashed by a speed camera travelling seven miles over the speed limit in a 30mph zone.

But her R-reg Fiat Punto was parked in a bay while Miss Davies was fast asleep in bed, she says.

The teenager was allegedly clocked speeding outside her home in Old Swan, Liverpool, on March 10. She received a speeding ticket in the post from Merseyside Police Camera Partnership last week.

The police only realised their blunder after she went to the local police station to dispute the charge.

The registration plate on Miss Davies's stationary car is believed have appeared in the frame with a speeding vehicle which triggered the camera. An over-zealous operator noted the number and a fine was duly sent out to the innocent motorist.

She had been held up as a model driver when she passed her driving test first time with just one minor error two years ago. Her RAC instructor described her as his 'star pupil'.

Miss Davies, a clinical receptionist at Fazakerley Hospital, in Liverpool, said: 'I looked at the letter and began to question myself. I was shocked because I'm such a careful driver and I never speed.

'I knew there was no way I'd be out at 10.22pm on a week night. I realised they'd made a mistake.

'When I first disputed the claim, I was told that mistakes are never made. That's just not true. If this has happened to me, it must be happening to other people. It's a waste of time and money and things should be changed.'

A spokesman for Merseyside Road Safety Camera Partnership said: 'All I can say is Merseyside Police make a sincere apology. There was a failure on the operator's side.

'She will be getting a letter of apology and the matter will be cancelled.'

Captain Gatso, the self-styled campaigns director for Motorists Against Detection, said: 'This is yet another example of the unfairness of speed cameras. Inordinate sums of money and swathes of technology are invested in policing by camera.

'Mistakes happen again and again. As is demonstrated by a motorist 'speeding' while in fact parked and doing 0mph, cameras offer absolutely no discretion or common sense.'

The AA has revealed that thousands of motorists have been wrongly accused of speeding because of glitches in the controversial speed camera system. Mistakes range from registration numbers being misread to the dates and times of the alleged offence being wrong.

Drivers have been accused of breaking the speed limit when they were miles away in another county.

Others received fixed penalty notices for speeding even though they were abroad on holiday when the offence was said to have been committed.

Nationally, around two million motorists a year receive a £60 fine from 8,000 speed cameras.

A speeding ticket? But officer, I was alseep at home!

Attachments

• speeding_854.jpg
    speeding_854.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,350
How do we know she is not suffering from a "Sleep Driving" condition :?:
Big Bob :bye:

I was not "sleep driving" officer.... No I was not..... :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member