Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion

RonMinch said:
Hi Andrew, Another shot from the front, the paddles are AMG off ebay £60.00, I have kept my old wheel in case I want to go back, the difficult bit in profiling the mounts, was thinking of getting some 3D printed but happy for now just to get it running again. Had a bit of a scare when I got it all back together, reconnected the battery, switch on the ignition and every fault you can think of came up tried to start it but every thing went mad windows half down solenoid bouncing, battery had completely failed wouldn't take a charge. New battery fitted and now everything back to normal thank god.

Ron, would you have a link to the ebay sale for these paddles please?

A

those are the plastic paddles and not great quality, you want the alloy AMG shifters, there are such a difference in appearance and quality.

none on ebay at the moment, if you call your local mercedes main dealer they are £118 plus VAT, for the pair.
Part number AMG A2125450068 and AMG A2125450168

Partial Success

So after purchasing a wheel to practice cutting out the holes for the paddles, buying the AMG paddles, circuit board, resistors (multi function wheel), wire etc, etc, I spent the day embarking on my conversion.

After taking a very large brave pill, I disconnected the battery, released the air bag, removed the connectors and undid the wheel.
Identified the appropriate wires and did all the wiring. Added 127 Ohm resistor for down shift and 274 Ohm for the upshift.
Marked out the holes as per my earlier trial on the old wheel and removed the rubber. Drilled holes for bolt and wires and connected the final four wires.
Multifunction trim re installed, steering wheel re fitted, air bag connected and finally reconnected the battery...

With everything crossed, started the car, moved lever to M. Tested old thumb buttons first. All ok !!!
Pulled upshift and yeah... It went to second.
Pulled downshift..... nothing ?!!?

:dont know: :dont know:

Too tired to try and fix tonight but can anyone tell me, if I disconnect the battery, remove the air bag, can I reconnect the battery to test connections and the operation of the paddle?

Also, open to suggestions as to why I've only been 50% successful.

To test, you have to drive the car - no good w/o airbag since you will get an ugly red light, which needs to be cancelled by PIWIS, Durametric or similar stuff.

I suggest you check the wiring and the action of the switch, by comparing the signal (resistance) when the stock switch is operated with the paddle switch activated. That should give you sufficient confidence that everything can be put together again. Good luck!

please check you have put the resisters in line, and in the correct place.
do not re connect the battery without the air bag connected..........

The resistors are in the same place for both upshift - which works - and downshift.
Is 127 Ohm correct for downshift?
I'm erring on the belief that maybe the paddle hasn't got enough free play when pulled.

beebman- help

Hi Guys,

I've spent hours today trying to do this mod and really need some help :eek:

I bought a refurbished steering wheel with paddles already fitted from eBay.
I managed to take my old wheel off the car (997.1 Turbo Tiptronic) and fit the new one and everything was going well until the wiring. I have two wires (black and yellow) wires coming from each of the paddles which are supposed to connect to the black (to black)and yellow (to white)for the right paddle, and black (to black) and yellow (to red) for the left as mentioned in this post. I'm looking to keep all functionality on the wheel (inc the original tip buttons- although that's not so important) and understand connecting the wires to the originals should be fairly straight forward. My wires are dirrerent, I don't have reds or whites, mine are striped much the same as found in the following link: http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/820339-multifunction-steering-wheel.html
The link also states what each wire does:

A8: Grey with Green (Tiptronic)
A7: Black with Black (GND)
A6: Grey with Red (DATAS)
A5: Yellow with Yellow (Term 58 D)
A4: Blue with Blue (Rotating Speed)
A3: Brown with Brown (Direction of Rotation)
A2: Red with Yellow (5V supply)
A1: Red with Yellow (5V supply)

Your bottom photo is "Remote Control Right", seven wires from left to right in the photo:
A8: White with Green (Tiptronic)
A7: Black with Black (GND)
A6: White with Red (DATAS)
A5: Grey with Green (Term 58 D)
A4: Brown with Black (Rotating Speed)
A3: Red with Red (Direction of Rotation)
A2: Red with Yellow (5V supply)
A1: no connection

The problem I have now is understanding which wires from my paddles (the black and yellows)I need to connect into these etc. Can someone please help me?

Many Thanks
Ben :thumb:

I fitted my AMG paddles today as per instructions as I understood them. Fit was reasonably straightforward but unfortunately they aren't working.

In wiring terms what I did was to strip a section of the wires running into the looms for the two paddles. The blacks on each side and red on the left (for down) and white on the right (for up). Then soldered the blacks to black and the yellows to the respective red and whites. So I didn't break the existing connections into the looms.

The tip switches work fine and no error messages. But nothing happens with the paddles.

Any thoughts?

Have you checked with a multi-meter that the paddles are switching? I had to make sure that the hole in the steering wheel was deep enough to ensure the paddles were switching correctly.

Haven't had a chance to do anything since Friday alas. They certainly seem to be switching meachanically.

Have I used the correct technique in soldering directly to the wires into the loom?

Andrew, I've sent you a pm.

Is your wheel multi function?mif so, you'll need resistors.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowrick
Back