Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo RWD conversion

MisterCorn said:
911tom said:
Nothing quite like a lovely cleaned engine being built. How long would you say your build took? Seeing these pics has inspired me to post some of my build in progress... Probably should be working, I am far to easily distracted lol!

:food:

MC

Vapour blasting makes a huge difference - you can see before and after pics plus some of carolines finished engine. Physical rebuild time is 70 hours From when the engine is stripped, cleaned etc. That can vary depending on how complicated the set up is of course. However we make many changes to some standard parts, including the crankcase itself which helps eliminate faults in factory design when running high hp.

It is always a shame to put the engine back in the car.

Attachments

• img_5354_119.jpg
    img_5354_119.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 4,659
  • img_5355_547.jpg
    img_5355_547.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 4,659
  • img_5356_129.jpg
    img_5356_129.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 4,659
  • img_5357_157.jpg
    img_5357_157.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 4,659
  • img_5358_594.jpg
    img_5358_594.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 4,659
  • img_5359_171.jpg
    img_5359_171.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 4,659
996ttalot said:
MisterCorn said:
911tom said:
Nothing quite like a lovely cleaned engine being built. How long would you say your build took? Seeing these pics has inspired me to post some of my build in progress... Probably should be working, I am far to easily distracted lol!

MC

Vapour blasting makes a huge difference - you can see before and after pics plus some of carolines finished engine. Physical rebuild time is 70 hours From when the engine is stripped, cleaned etc. That can vary depending on how complicated the set up is of course. However we make many changes to some standard parts, including the crankcase itself which helps eliminate faults in factory design when running high hp.

is 700 bhp the maximum capacity for the k16/39's?

Slight digression;
Member 9e30 and I discuss this all the time....The aircon. As its belt driven does it affect car performance when switched on.

I hate that we hardly talk about tuning on this forum

ok51mon said:
Slight digression;
Member 9e30 and I discuss this all the time....The aircon. As its belt driven does it affect car performance when switched on.
Yes it must affect the performance because it takes power to drive the compressor. I shouldn't think you'd notice it much with a turbo car though.

Mike

Si I suspect AC makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things. With regard to 700hp... I'm not so sure maybe on an american dyno. Realistically the limit has got to be around 600 maybe 620hp. Happy to be proved wrong though.

My comment re the american dyno is quite true. My car before porsche max was dyno'd at around 540hp (accurately) and was faster than a lot of 600+ cars.. Same car when it was slower made 590hp on the DMS dyno... Speak to someone that understands the physics and they will be able to calculate the max HP on a car based on injector size and duty cylces... I think you'll find 600hp is not as easily reached as many might think. Again happy to be proved wrong!

A quick google and I found this...

http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/hp-calculator

Not sure how accurate it is but it seems to be asking the right questions. I forgot all about fuel pressure but of course this makes a proportionate difference hence why many fit a 5 bar FPR on stock injectors to push for a little more. If you have some big injectors in there then fueling is fine. As you say its then how much air you can get in... How much boost your turbos will run safely while keeping AIT's sensible etc.

Si have you considered meth injection? That will likely get you another 30 - 50hp?

ok51mon said:
996ttalot said:
MisterCorn said:
911tom said:

MC

is 700 bhp the maximum capacity for the k16/39's?

Slight digression;

I hate that we hardly talk about tuning on this forum

Our 16/39s depending on engine and other mods can make well over 700hp - they flow enough actually for just over 800hp. However the consequence of that is higher iats so unless you run methanol, you are better off running lower boost and timing.

As to aircon, always run with it on - it cools the fuel on the return line, which offsets any minor loss through belt.

9e30 runs k16/32 and good enough for around 190 at TV. Her car will be a hell of a lot quicker now.

Tom, yes you are right, using IDC and injector size you can pretty much calculate hp.

Clearly you should never run a 5bar with larger injectors than stock. You can use it for stock injectors which at 100% IDC will give you approx 560hp.

Ken

From my research it appears that with a tiptronic there are sensors on the diff for some reason. Not sure how much truth there is in this but it seems the best thing is to simply remove the driveshafts... I do need to do a little more reading on the subject. Also Ken mentioned they leave the diff etc in place. I am guessing mostly as ballast to prevent this from happening;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOveiaa5kA

:eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D

911tom said:
Si I suspect AC makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things. With regard to 700hp... I'm not so sure maybe on an american dyno. Realistically the limit has got to be around 600 maybe 620hp. Happy to be proved wrong though.

My comment re the american dyno is quite true. My car before porsche max was dyno'd at around 540hp (accurately) and was faster than a lot of 600+ cars.. Same car when it was slower made 590hp on the DMS dyno... Speak to someone that understands the physics and they will be able to calculate the max HP on a car based on injector size and duty cylces... I think you'll find 600hp is not as easily reached as many might think. Again happy to be proved wrong!

From a datalog of values, you can actually get within 10hp of correct hp on a good dyno. The american hp as you say, is only a 3rd gear pull for a few seconds, hence why so many hp claims are just dreamland.

911tom said:
From my research it appears that with a tiptronic there are sensors on the diff for some reason. Not sure how much truth there is in this but it seems the best thing is to simply remove the driveshafts... I do need to do a little more reading on the subject. Also Ken mentioned they leave the diff etc in place. I am guessing mostly as ballast to prevent this from happening;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOveiaa5kA

:eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D
If you remove the diff, you lose 80lbs of weight at the front of the car, spread evenly. When you do this you can adjust the rake clearly to compensate, but above 210mph it feels without the diff very unstable on 996 Turbo.

I know of someone in this country who wrote off their car in private testing at Brunters when the diff locked completely.

996ttalot said:
If you remove the diff, you lose 80lbs of weight at the front of the car, spread evenly. When you do this you can adjust the rake clearly to compensate, but above 210mph it feels without the diff very unstable on 996 Turbo.

I know of someone in this country who wrote off their car in private testing at Brunters when the diff locked completely.

I think Safety has got to be the primary objective here with regard to the stability and mechanics. Thanks for your advice Ken.

996ttalot said:

That sounds pretty scary, is the safest way to 'just' remove the propshaft?

MC

So looks like rwd is the way to go! Any experience on fitting a lsd to a tiptronic box?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back