Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 Tyre shortage

sushisushi

Trainee
Hi Guys,

I'm having a pig of a time finding matching tyres for my new BBS LM wheels to fit to my narrow body gen 2 C2.

The BBS fronts are half an inch wider than stock at 8.5 inch and the rears are standard at 10". So to compensate for the extra width on the front im looking at the following specs:

Front: 235/40/18
Rear: 285/30/18

The problem is (apart from Pzero Rosso, which I don't want) I can only find mis matching tyres!

Ideally I want Michelin PS4 although I'd be happy with PS2. You can get the rears in PS2 and the fonts in PS4, but not vise versa!

I know supply is bad due to Brexit and corona, so my question is this:

I have found PS2 in 5mm smaller side wall with the following spec:
235/35/18

Would I be ok to go for that on the front or is the 10mm smaller total wheel diameter on a C2 a problem?

If anyone has links to the correct tyres that are actually for sale in the UK, please let me know.

I think you're going to struggle as there are so few 285/30s options.

I'm not convinced having matching front-rear is that important on these cars, there is such a disparity in grip between the front and back anyway that a slight difference in breakaway point just won't ever be noticeable.

so i guess the next question is, mismatched front and back or slight change to overall diameter?

Not sure if this assists but I have just put PS4 fronts and PS2 rears on mine.

Exact issues as yourself. Mine has a non standard geo on, with 40" of neg camber on the front so not sure how much account you take of that, or the difference between the old tyre's and the new....

I had PS2's all round before, though fronts were over 10 years old. (Stored in a garage and no signs of going off)

The overall balance appears almost the same as before, but more initial front end grip and less understeer.

No issues at all, once I got past the initial 200 miles, were I thought I'd made a bad mistake!. But then everything scrubbed in and the car feels phenomenal again. :thumb:

I was advised to go for 275/35 R18s on the rear and keep them all the same (PS4s) which I did. Great choice - done over 1000 miles and they are really good.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back