Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Suspension refurb M033 & FSDs post install, 1st thou

wozy

Sao Paulo
Picture my car. December 1993, 124K mileage 993 with full paper trail.

Before I bought her in early 2012, suspension wise she had had replaced only one new front drop link and 2 x new front wishbone ball joints (Not new wishbones), nothing else, everything was original from build.

Now you would think that a 911 that had so little work, would not have been well looked after, this was not the case. Every single invoice is with the car, she's been serviced every year and had work done when required. I think the reason the suspension has had so little work is because the previous owner who had the car for 14 years, was a women of 'age', so possibly the car had little abuse. :dont know:

Now I love my 993, and when she needs something done, its done. I have read on here and other sites about deteriorating dampers and especially the Monroe's being pretty worn after 40K miles (Though when mine were removed they were Boge), I always thought the stock stuff on my car was still pretty good, and I really didn't have any complaints, however I still thought it was time to save for the refurb, as surely I'm not getting the full 933 experience with worn suspension.

Lately I was starting to hear a few knocks under the car, so for the last six months I have quietly been purchasing up parts for the suspension renewal.

When the 911 came back from service last month, the list of worn parts found was startling, something had to be done, and done soon, as I'm off on a driving holiday to Spain with the lads in July.

Lesson to be learnt here. OPC stated
Worn out suspension as follows:
Top front and rear control arms
Top mounts front split
Bump stops perished
Front wishbones worn out
Dampers shot
Rear ARB shot

There was no way I was letting an OPC do the job, so I booked her in with a well known Indy local to me in Worcestershire.

Firstly It should be pointed out just how expensive replacing suspension can be. Since December 2013 I have bought the following ready for the refurb:

Set of Koni FSDs £775.00
Set of M033 Springs £400.00
New 4 x Top mounts, bump stops, boots, misc etc etc £800.00
Total of around £2K

On top of this I have spent a further £1.5K on install and replacement of worn parts found when installing the above.

Total of £3.5k

I told the Indy to ring me, if any parts needs replacing, in other words go over the damn lot inch by inch. I wanted to do this once, and once only.
I feared the worst, and prepared myself for his phone call.
Interestingly, the Indy (Well known for setting up cars, road and race, especially Porsche and the 911) found only the following wear other than the top mounts of.

Front ARB bushes
Rear ARB bushes
ARB links x 2 front and back.

Front wishbones were absolutely fine, as well as rear upper and lower control arms, even the dampers hadn't a weep. I was concerned that I had no paperwork on replaced front wishbones, but the Indy was firm with the fact I'd be wasting my money on replacing them. So there you go, second opinion where suspension is concerned can be important and save you dosh.

Reason I went with the FSDs and M033 were for the following reason. Compliance. Everything I have read, states that the FSDs are a good all round improvement to the OE setup, and as I do a lot of fast B road driving compared to no track driving, I thought these and the lowering springs would be ideal. The last thing I wanted was a crashy hard setup for B road driving.

Anyway, Thursday night I picked up my refurbed 911, complete with all these new shiny bits and pieces. I'd heard such great things about FSDs and I couldn't wait for the test drive. The Indy really rated my car and thought the ride now as good as when she was built.

Directionally she does feel fab, the steering is more communicated and you can feel grip now better, arb bushes and drop links, well worth it.

So why am I not happy? I think I should have gone firmer or possibly left the damn original dampers on. I drove 400 miles yesterday, and the car doesn't creak anymore, no sound from underneath at all, but she felt soft. I thought with new bushes and the fact the Konis are supposed to firm up at speed, the car would feel taught and firm, but nope she feels soft. Also which could be irritating, is that I think with the slightly lowered M033s, the FSDs have a little bit of floating going on. I noticed on a dual carriageway yesterday, that at a constant speed on a smooth road, the nose slightly rises and falls. However saying that, it might just be me being OCD at the moment.

Basically I just feel as I possibly made a mistake, I am warming to the setup, just not as impressed as I expected to be. I think I feel its all a bit boring. £3.5K spent and it could have been at least been 1K more, for what?

All this waffle, just to point out that FSDs might not be that great for everyone, so do even more homework than I did, and I spent two years.

Maybe give it some time. Hyperfocusing on the way a 993 drives can often lead to misery ?

I have found in my journeys that the 993 is just old technology, caught between a rock and a hard place and there is no getting away from the physics of it. Stiffen it all up and it will become crashy at some point yet still won't feel sharp and stiff like a modern car and the chassis will throw a hissy fit over the slightest of low speed bumps. Keep it too soft and its vaguer than a vague thing and less sporting and accurate than a basic modern day Fiesta.

Accept it for what it is though and on a hard drive its still one of the best motoring experiences out there though.

I do have some RS spec springs here though if you want to borrow them.

Re: 993 Suspension refurb M033 & FSDs post install, 1st

wozy said:
Anyway, Thursday night I picked up my refurbed 911, complete with all these new shiny bits and pieces. I'd heard such great things about FSDs and I couldn't wait for the test drive. The Indy really rated my car and thought the ride now as good as when she was built.

Directionally she does feel fab, the steering is more communicated and you can feel grip now better, arb bushes and drop links, well worth it.

So why am I not happy? I think I should have gone firmer or possibly left the damn original dampers on. I drove 400 miles yesterday, and the car doesn't creak anymore, no sound from underneath at all, but she felt soft. I thought with new bushes and the fact the Konis are supposed to firm up at speed, the car would feel taught and firm, but nope she feels soft.

Basically I just feel as I possibly made a mistake, I am warming to the setup, just not as impressed as I expected to be. I think I feel its all a bit boring. £3.5K spent and it could have been at least been 1K more, for what?

All this waffle, just to point out that FSDs might not be that great for everyone, so do even more homework than I did, and I spent two years.

With all due respect FSD's are soft, theyre supposed to be a virtual direct replacement for the stock porsche item, the springs are stock poundage just shorter length, its a shame you didnt get the opportunity to try some other setups before you pulled the pin, having said all of that and a million times more, suspension is very subjective, and its a real pity you feel disapointed.

As Rich says give it some time, if your expectations were high you may yet come to appreciate the changes youve made. :thumb:

Ohh, youre right, i read m033 as m030 !

The relative stiffness of a car is mostly in the springs. People focus too much on dampers imo. Get the right spring first then the damper to suit the spring. As zuff says m033 is stock so very soft which is fine, unless you want a stiffer tauter experience.

The good news is sprimgs are cheap and easy to have made. Or get somethimg off the shelf.

At rs height with rs stiffening ive found pss10 rates to be optimal for a fast road car. For a 993 on ROW sport ride height, standard bars and bushings and 17" rims, you can go a fait bit stiffer (RS or KW rates) for a lovely taut car but with bags of compliance. When my car was std. bars/bushes, kw var3 and 17" cup 2 across UK B roads it was the best 993 ive ever driven for that type of environment, sublime (although mot especially pointy or accurate).

993 C2: 150/200
993 M030: 165/285
993 PSS10: 220/380
993 RS: 246/456
993 KS VAR3: 171/513
993 KW CLUB: 340/625
993 CUP: 600/800
996 mk1: 200/371
996 mk2: 228/542
996 RS: 257/542
997 GT3.1 & RS.1: 228/600
997 GT3.2: 280/657

Re: 993 Suspension refurb M033 & FSDs post install, 1st

wozy said:
Now I love my 993, and when she needs something done, its done. I have read on here and other sites about deteriorating dampers and especially the Monroe's being pretty worn after 40K miles (Though when mine were removed they were Boge), I always thought the stock stuff on my car was still pretty good, and I really didn't have any complaints, however I still thought it was time to save for the refurb, as surely I'm not getting the full 933 experience with worn suspension.

I have a C2 with a build date of Jan 94 which was also fitted with Boge, car drove well for 100,000 miles on original shocks. It was also fitted with M033 springs as part of a 'Tech Sport Package'..............anyway changed everything you did and also fitted Koni FSD and new M033. Not a remarkable transformation but certainly more compliant and sure footed. Had the geo set up by a local Indy and it was my intention to put a 1000 or so miles on the set up and them maybe let CoG take a look. Not a track car and didn't expect that level of 'firmness' so relatively pleased. Did everything myself apart from the geo........

Thanks fellas for your input

Jackal. Thanks for the advice, I've spent many a happy hour pouring over your site, and spent ££s because of it. :)

Obviously reason for M033 was slightly lowered but kept the compliance of the original setup, which I thought as standard was excellent for our roads. I well remember driving a XR2i RS Turbo back in the day (remember them?) which was just about un-derivable on anything other than billiard smooth roads, something that has stuck with me all these years, and I did not want. What I am surprised about is why the FSDs don't seem to alter at all at speed, more advertising spiel I assume.

I read somewhere that as cars have advanced suspension as got firmer, and the harshness of 20 years i.e. something like the 964 RS today are seen differently.
I'm just wondering if M030 springs would have in-fact been a better option.
:?:

I'm about to take her for a quick spin, maybe today she will feel a bit better still, as I stated before, the Indy really really rated the setup for road use, and congratulated me in allowing them to replace all that they believed worn ...... by all accounts, quite often punters wont let them, which to me me seems utter bizarre.

:)

It's all subjective chum and you might be over critical of the setup which hasn't fully bedded in.

Kimbo tried IIRC several options before deciding on FSD and from his observations I too would have gone that route on my 933, but as my Monroes had only covered 50k everytime the car went in for service I was advised I'd be wasting my money swapping them out so never got round to it. Had I been able to pick up the 4 x Monroes for less than £500 from OPC I would, but missed that 'offer' by a few months :pc:

I'd be interested in how your car now drives at speed on a straight road (motorway) and whether you can feel any 'lift' under the front. I found at speed the front would go very light which to me was unnerving. On my (964) C4 I dont get that at all which might be the 4WD and weight that compensates.

On the '64 I swapped out the Boge units as I picked up a fully refurbished set with turbo springs at a good price so thought I'd give them a go. Yes they have transformed the car - on smooth roads totally settled and round corners sticks like shoite to a blanket but the compromise is a 'hard' sometimes crashy ride over uneven surfaces.

I think its one or the other, cant have both unless you go with adjustable like KW v3 which will be my next choice. :roll:

Sorry to hear this Wozy and it seems a bit weird.

My FSD's and M033's felt noticeably firmer than my standard Boge dampers and OEM springs. On a day to day basis I certainly wouldn't want anything firmer and I can't remember the front lifting up at speeds. Maybe lowering the ride height at the front will help. It's an easy fix, takes 20 minutes.

Jackal is of course right, switching the springs can make it feel a lot firmer and I would suggest leaving the dampers alone and maybe try a set of M030's as fitted to the Turbo. Problem is, if you're using a garage, be prepared for £500 a swap. I did about 3 swaps in my experimenting.

All said and done, I would leave it and live with it for a while. I think you may be looking for something that isn't there at the moment but will grow on you.

I'm still puzzled that the FSD's and M033's feel softer than the original setup.

Having fitted the FSD's I have no light feel or lifting at speed, did have before the work and had the very same on 964 I had with Boge shocks - swapped them out too!

whilst on FSDs the car does not feel nearly as well tied down as on the KW V3s, they are far more forgiving of poor roads surfaces and also have the advantage of being usable with stock springs and at stock ride height. I may yet go back to V3s, but it would have to be with custom (much softer) springs, not the ones they supply. Jackal's comments above are spot on re getting the springs rates right first.

The recent problem i've experienced is the back feeling a tiny bit twitchy at speed, however that may turn out to be due to two worn suspension components on one rear corner. these have now been replaced and I'll know on Wednesday if the car feels any better! Fingers crossed...

tim

wozy said:
, as I stated before, the Indy really really rated the setup for road use, and congratulated me in allowing them to replace all that they believed worn ......

This comment has really bothered me since Thursday. The Indy thought the setup was really really good or words to that effect, as good as when new on a 993. Why then didn't I?

This got me thinking, why would he think so? The answer I believe quite simple.
He tested the car on the same piece of road before the work was done and again after the work was carried out. In other words I'm guessing the same piece of road for every rebuild they do, whichever model of 911, hence I'm assuming how he could rate how good he thought my 993 was when finished.

This was a eureka moment for me. So this afternoon I decided to take the 911 out and run on her on roads I know well. It was ok me driving hundreds of miles on Saturday, but then I never had driven on those roads before, or if I had, it was months and months ago, so a straight comparison wasn't possible, and not thought needed.

So off I went for a twenty mile blast on roads I have driven many times, and now what a difference I felt and its all starting to make sense.

The whole cost can be explained by a 10 mile section of the A422 between Arrow and Sneachill. I knew the steering felt a lot more communicative, and that you could feel the grip better since the new bushes etc, but now compared to the way the car used to be thrown around on that road, I realise I'm going 20% quicker for 20% less work. She really felt like a new car, all of a sudden the whole suspension seemed to be doing exactly as it should, soaking up the off camber, potholed wallowy road surface and keeping the car stable, which the FSDs and the springs and the bushes did admirably.

Now before anyone flames me for being an idiot, this is the first time I have ever renewed suspension, and I just hadn't thought of comparing on roads I know, I just assumed it would feel right from when I first sat in her.

Another thing, the slight bobbing of the front of the car? another eureka moment.
The lightness of touch on my 964 was a revelation and at times a little disconcerting how the wheel used move in my hands. The 993 by all accounts had never quite the wheel feel of previous 911s, however it must have had some. In other words, the front of my car was so worn, it never did feel commutative in all the time I've owned her until now. It has been so long since my previous 911, I had simply forgotten.

What I have back and what I can feel, is the natural setup of what I hope is a well sorted 993. Hence the Indy's feedback verbatim. 'Its ***** spot on' now makes sense. :)

Lastly for new potential suspension owners out there. I didn't realise it, but I do think new suspension does need a time to bed in of a few hundred miles.

The FSDs and M033 suspension might not be everyone's cup of tea, but now to me at least it makes more sense, and especially for our crappy roads. However the one downside is that the car doesn't feel quite as quick, I'm assuming that's because before I had to hold on and fight the car, now the car can cope with the roads a lot better and a lot faster.

So glum from Evesham is now happy from Evesham.
Good night, and lets forget all about my earlier worries. Just pretend I hadn't said anything.

That's great news :thumb:

There won't ever be a MASSIVE difference between this and your old setup because Koni don't want it to be - you've got other makes for that, like the KW.

However, you will notice the potholes and bad road surfaces suddenly don't feel quite so noticeable, and that you can go round corners slightly faster with less body roll. And it shouldn't feel light or twitchy on the front.

I had one of the first FSD setups and I remember Precision said exactly the same thing after they fitted it as your indy did.

Pleased for you. Have fun.

Kimbo said:
That's great news :thumb:

There won't ever be a MASSIVE difference between this and your old setup because Koni don't want it to be - you've got other makes for that, like the KW.

However, you will notice the potholes and bad road surfaces suddenly don't feel quite so noticeable, and that you can go round corners slightly faster with less body roll. And it shouldn't feel light or twitchy on the front.

I had one of the first FSD setups and I remember Precision said exactly the same thing after they fitted it as your indy did.

Pleased for you. Have fun.

Cheers matey :)

It was your write up on PH that a couple years back that gave me the heads up on them.
Amazing the difference a couple of days makes and a like for like road blast.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back