Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Audio Update

highway

Mexico City
My car came as standard with what Porsche laughably called the "Sound Pack". A limp wristed Nokia amplifier with three component speakers in the doors including two speakers on the rear shelf.

I appreciate that many are those on this forum with no interest in car audio. If thats you, dont waste your time reading any more of this..

Anyway, I came to my 993 having grown accustomed to reasonable in car audio. Nothing to shake my neighbours windows, just a clean, natural sound with some bass. My car already had a dubious Alpine stereo fitted, albeit with no Ipod connection and no phone.

Even if you arent into audio in the car I recommend changing to a unit which links with your phone when you get into the car. Likewise, being able to leave an ipod in the glovebox negates having to carry CD's with you in the car anymore. These units are all around £200.

I bought a Pioneer. No complaints re the performance but it does look horrific, no worse than what was there before mind, but completely NOT in keeping with the rest of the car. It will go at somepoint, probably for the Posche retro unit.

The Beckers are nice but very expensive. At least the new Porsche unit has sat nav as well.

Anyway. I thought i could get by changing the components in the doors and adding amplification. I have had this done (at considerable expense) changing the woofers and tweeters leaving the mid range speakers and the rear shelf speakers alone. Incidentally, the raised speaker covers on the back shelf make swapping the speakers (from a sound pack equipped car) a less than straightforward job.

Crossovers hidden under seats, amp in spare wheel well, speakers under standard apertures. Result? Sounds better. Still not great. Not as good as a factory Bose system for example.

I specifically didnt want to cut or alter the car in any permanent way which put me off subs and the like. The boot on a C4 is small enough already without adding anything else.

However, I bit the bullet earlier and fitted a very small bazooka tube in the rear footwell. It cant readily be seen and is quickly removable, only one lead. The bazooka tubes are actually cut down by the installers specially for cars with limited space. They are also self amplified.

The result is impressive. With the tube turned to a whisper above OFF, music is transformed. THe front woofers just deal with the mid bass (as they should) and finally the uprated speakers (Focal) can be heard properly. Its a nice sound stage and allows my music to be enjoyed the way I like it.

Dont be put off going th e mini tube route if you audio in a 993. Happy new year!

Highway old boy I nevr had you down for a Pimp my Ride kinda guy :thumb:

Is this something you are suggesting then to get jiggy :dont know:

2182191868_904a74e359.jpg

If the cars a rockin' dont come a knockin' :thumb:

pics pics pics. how did you route the cables?

Glad you brought this up Highway.
I love the sound of the ole flat 6, and all that. But i love my music too.

When i bought my car it had the bogg standard set up, quite sad actually.
Anyway went down to see what was possible without cutting things to bits, and basically was told, Im p ing in the wind, as without modifications there isn't a great deal that can be done.

I thought about having a tube in the front, where the spare is, but was told its not a good place to have it. Dont know if any of you guy's have, would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

So it looked as though i would also have to go for a tube in the back footwell too. Which i didn't really wanna do, as in the summer i sometimes pick up my kids from school. But I have now decided that is what i shall do. Also a friend of mine said he can remould my front door side panels, so as to be able to fit speakers with bigger magnets in.

I have been looking for second hand panels, and when i find them , I will let my mate see what he can do, If they look ok i will have them covered and fitted.

Highway what is the make and model of the tube tube your are running please mate.

Happy New Year Chaps.
Phil. :thumb:

gunners08 said:
Also a friend of mine said he can remould my front door side panels, so as to be able to fit speakers with bigger magnets in.

I have been looking for second hand panels, and when i find them , I will let my mate see what he can do, If they look ok i will have them covered and fitted.

Very keen to hear how you get on with this! I replaced my front speakers with 6" infinitys, disconnected the rears and the difference is incredible. Sounds awesome. I did fibre glass the rears of the panels and dynamat them so I'm sure that helped.
Would love a tiny bit more low end though and am thinking about going down the route of small footwell boxes in the rear.

Stu

I used a bazooka tube. Often refered to generically, this brand is (apparently) the original 'bass tube'. It's small and fits perfectly in the rear footwell behind the drivers seat in my driving position. Didn't even need straps to secure it. My understanding is that these tubes are then cut down by the installer to fit locations where space is at a premium.

Before you go getting custom door panels made my advice is to try a tube. I was reluctant to go this route for some tIme. As zingari candidly points out, fitting a 'bass tube' does seem to be indulging your inner chav. It's not the sort of thing I'd start talking about in the pub! However, having heard it in the car it really is night and day difference to before. The whole bass/sub bass soundstage is now there and the mids and woofers in the doors are no longer struggling to produce low frequencies. I'd say you could even keep the standard speakers in play and just add the tube, it makes that much Of a difference. Not cheap at £300 fitted but, as I like music, worth it. Off getting 'slizzard' now! Have a good one all!

I recently replaced the rear parcel shelf speaksers with the JBL GTO 6427's

The old Nokia speakers were well and truly knackered with the cones having virtually crumbled away - you couldn't particularly see this through the grills. The difference is amazing - well it would be with clarity and bass now filling the cars. I suspect the stanfard front door speakers could similarly replaced and upgraded to great effect.

The bazooka looks an interesting removable option that might be night, but I just bought some 38mm stainless pipe for by exhaust silencer bypass job so I'll probably want to listen to that instead ;)

Lee

If the bazooka is self amped what connections does it need to run? I'm guessing power + RCA leads?

highway said:
My car came as standard with what Porsche laughably called the "Sound Pack". A limp wristed Nokia amplifier with three component speakers in the doors including two speakers on the rear shelf.

I appreciate that many are those on this forum with no interest in car audio. If thats you, dont waste your time reading any more of this..

Anyway, I came to my 993 having grown accustomed to reasonable in car audio. Nothing to shake my neighbours windows, just a clean, natural sound with some bass. My car already had a dubious Alpine stereo fitted, albeit with no Ipod connection and no phone.

Even if you arent into audio in the car I recommend changing to a unit which links with your phone when you get into the car. Likewise, being able to leave an ipod in the glovebox negates having to carry CD's with you in the car anymore. These units are all around £200.

I bought a Pioneer. No complaints re the performance but it does look horrific, no worse than what was there before mind, but completely NOT in keeping with the rest of the car. It will go at somepoint, probably for the Posche retro unit.

The Beckers are nice but very expensive. At least the new Porsche unit has sat nav as well.

Anyway. I thought i could get by changing the components in the doors and adding amplification. I have had this done (at considerable expense) changing the woofers and tweeters leaving the mid range speakers and the rear shelf speakers alone. Incidentally, the raised speaker covers on the back shelf make swapping the speakers (from a sound pack equipped car) a less than straightforward job.

Crossovers hidden under seats, amp in spare wheel well, speakers under standard apertures. Result? Sounds better. Still not great. Not as good as a factory Bose system for example.

I specifically didnt want to cut or alter the car in any permanent way which put me off subs and the like. The boot on a C4 is small enough already without adding anything else.

However, I bit the bullet earlier and fitted a very small bazooka tube in the rear footwell. It cant readily be seen and is quickly removable, only one lead. The bazooka tubes are actually cut down by the installers specially for cars with limited space. They are also self amplified.

The result is impressive. With the tube turned to a whisper above OFF, music is transformed. THe front woofers just deal with the mid bass (as they should) and finally the uprated speakers (Focal) can be heard properly. Its a nice sound stage and allows my music to be enjoyed the way I like it.

Dont be put off going th e mini tube route if you audio in a 993. Happy new year!

nice writeup
you may have read i did an ICE overhaul a couple of months ago:
becker indianapolis pro with ipod interface
jl audio 4" in the rear (my car is a cab)
jl audio vr600 csi components
jl audio 2250 amp

the set up is awesome clarity-wise however i need to do something about the low end still. have you got a pic of your bazooka tube?

Might be a bit of a thread hijack, but what is going to happen to all those expensive Becker units when DAB comes in fully in 2015. All useless? :dont know:

The aforementioned JBL GTO speakers DO NOT fit in the rear speaker apertures IF your car has the soundpack as I found out.

I will endeavour to take a pic of the tube tomo and post some pics. Available for listening come next meet!!

Ghost said:
Might be a bit of a thread hijack, but what is going to happen to all those expensive Becker units when DAB comes in fully in 2015. All useless? :dont know:

Personally, I probably would have sold the car by then. If not then get another head unit I suppose?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back