Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 4S 1996 issue with the heaters

paulwacker100

Hiya All hope all is well

i have a Porsche 993 Carrera 4S 1996 Model

Issues with the heaters

the heaters are on constantly on hot full blast and they don't turn off its weird sometimes when you turn the steering wheel the heaters go quiet for a split second once you are straight again, they go again full blast.

any ideas help would be Appreciated

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul

Tore is probably best placed to give you a detailed answer but as nobody has responded yet I'm happy to jump in despite my limited qualifications.

I have recently had a problem where the main heater blower fan in the rear engine compartment was on full blast all of the time when it shouldn't be and having fixed that I do have a better understanding of the heating and ventilation system than I used to.

You don't provide much detail about where your problem resides and there are several fan blowers in the car. So I'm not sure if you are saying some of them are on all of the time or all of them are on all of the time? Also you don't mention whether you have turned the heater temperature up and down and turned the blower speed knob on the CCU up and down. And also when you say it is on all of the time I guess it is only on when you turn the ignition on?

If I was you I would start by reading this page from Tore's website as it gives a great explanation on how the heating and ventilation system should work as well as some fault finding tips.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/categories/964993-hvac-system-details

In short

There is a single fan in the engine compartment which blows the hot air from the engine down a duct to the front of the car

You then have two additional blower fans in the bulkhead of the car on either side to direct the warm or cool air through the vents in the front of the car.

There are also a couple of servo activated valves in the vent system in the footwell on either side. These control the direction of the warm or cool air to the vents around the car.

If you turn the temperature control down to zero and the fan controller to zero none of the three blower fans should be working.

If you leave the temperature control at zero the fan in the rear should still not work but you could then try turning the ccu fan controller knob between 0 and 4 and you should hear the front blower fans speed up or slow down on their four speed settings.

Raising the temperature setting should fire up the fan in the rear to supply the warm air from the engine.

Moving the direction control arrows on the CCU should open and close the servos on the vent flaps to direct the airflow.

If your problem is like mine and the only fan which is stuck on high speed is the one in the rear engine compartment then this is often down to a problem with the relay or the resistor or the temperature sensor. The relay is easy to remove and test and it's under the plastic cover on the inner rear wing next to where the fan resides. The resistor and the temperature sensor are both easy to remove and replace as they just plug into the vent pipe that comes from the blower fan in the rear.

To isolate where your problem resides you can easily stop the fan in the rear by removing the relay or just unplugging the fan from it's power supply - you can see the wire that comes from it and it unplugs easily from a connector. Similarly it's easy to disconnect the two front blowers by removing the relay that controls them - it is in the fuse box under the bonnet.

If none of this fixes your problem or helps you identify it then the issue may be in the CCU control unit itself. In my experience the best way to find this out is to remove the unit from the dash, disconnect the plug from the back, package it up and send it to Tore. He will probably add to this at some stage or correct my suggestions in any event. He is a legend on this stuff!

Good luck and shout if you have any questions that you think I might be able to answer

Marc

Hi Paul

The system in the 993 is a bit of a complex creatures, the servo actuators are a little finicky and as Marc says above your issue sounds like a CCU problem, sometimes a good clean of the CCU does the trick as dust can lay havoc with the internals

But again Tore would be the best man to comment on this

Sorry I can't be of more help

Thanks for the references guys.
I interpret paulwacker100's post to concern the two main fan blowers.
It is described that they are on at all times. Does this mean both at ignition on and off?

If on at ignition off, I would guess that the Final Stage control unit has given up the ghost. This is the main regulation element for these fans, placed just behind the main fuse box. Frunk gasket water leaks can cause corrosion in this unit, and cause it to conduct at all times.

If the fans run at full speed when the igntion is on, I guess this is an issue with the Climate Control Unit. Are the A/C max (big snowflake) or Defrost buttons pressed? Maybe they have failed and the switch cap has come loose, making it difficult to see if the button is pressed in or not.
It could also be an issue with the fan speed control potentiometer, but I very seldom see this particular issue in 993 units.

Does any of the servo motors work as normal when regulation slider and temp knobs? If not, the unit may have a defective microprocessor or other fault. However, this is indeed repairable.

Do not use solvents or contact sprays in the unit to try to mend anything. It will only make things worse.

See this page for a DIY servo motor/fan test:
https://www.bergvillfx.com/categories/964993-hvac-test-procedure

Cheers,
Tore

heaters issue resolved i think

thanks guys its been resolved

been in the local porsche dealer came back with this?

Heater module/ control unit showing signs of internal failure as no regulated
fan speed and backlights for AC / defrost buttons not working. Will require a new unit?

nearly £2,000 GBP for a new unit?
is this correct?

Many thanks for your help guys please let me know if this is correct and im not being ripped of as porsche wanted nearly £2k gbp for a new unit

There is no need for changing the unit, a typical repairp price is about GBP250.
I'll send you a PM with some details.
Cheers,
Tore

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back