Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

992 2wd traction / tyres

G-996

Trainee
Hi all, I’ve got a 992 Carrera S, rear drive only, and the back end does seem a bit lively when temps are cold (3 to 5 deg C) and road surface is a touch greasy. E.g. will happily spin wheels in 3rd gear on the motorway, which I didn’t expect. I’ve got the new factory fitted Goodyears Eagle F1 tyres running standard pressures, car has only done 2,000 miles. I’m well aware standard tyres grip is reduced at under 6 deg C. However I’d be grateful for hearing from other 2 wheel drive 992 owners - does this sound normal? Also has anyone changed pressures or tyres to address this?

Probably not unusual, but what pressures are you running, and what drive program are you using, I.e. wet program with max traction control.

You get less traction control in Sport mode try normal or wet mode and see if there’s a difference..

Btw I used to get the the TC light coming on on my M4 in fourth gear on warm straight roads, so it’s probably not unusual if you boot it! 😜

Thanks, yet Wet mode is much more progressive. I notice you’ve got a 992 C4 - I think my previous 996 C4 really benefited traction wise from having up to 40% of the power go the front axle in slippy conditions.

I’d been keen to hear experience from anyone who drives a 2wd 992?

My GTS is RWD and on the much maligned Pzeros (Which I think are a good tyre and great once warmed up)
I’d suggest dropping the pressures down to the comfort setting and see if that makes a difference, or remove some of the lead from your shoe!
All joking aside I have found that tyre pressures make a massive difference especially when the weather is cold, I ran winters on my 991 (brilliant) but the centre lock set up on my 992 have put me off using them - cost and faff!

Thanks, yet Wet mode is much more progressive. I notice you’ve got a 992 C4 - I think my previous 996 C4 really benefited traction wise from having up to 40% of the power go the front axle in slippy conditions.

I’d been keen to hear experience from anyone who drives a 2wd 992?
Hi mine got Goodyear f1s only done 1000 miles I’m swapping for Michelin ps4
As find Goodyear really sketchy it’s my 1st 911 but feels really unstable

I am on P Zeros I run the pressures at 30f 33r - (comfort is 29f 32r). The back is a bit lively full stop :) - put it in normal and dont boot it and you'll be fine!

Your summer tyres will be outside of their operating window below 6c.

Hi all, I’ve got a 992 Carrera S, rear drive only, and the back end does seem a bit lively when temps are cold (3 to 5 deg C) and road surface is a touch greasy. E.g. will happily spin wheels in 3rd gear on the motorway, which I didn’t expect. I’ve got the new factory fitted Goodyears Eagle F1 tyres running standard pressures, car has only done 2,000 miles. I’m well aware standard tyres grip is reduced at under 6 deg C. However I’d be grateful for hearing from other 2 wheel drive 992 owners - does this sound normal? Also has anyone changed pressures or tyres to address this?
normal when it's cold, you just need to regulate it for the cold

We had a small sideways moment on the M25 in the wet @70mph and full boost. Ours has the goodyears at around 5mm depth of tread.
These cars are grippy but when they let go you need to be ready nearly 400hp RWD !

hopefully the cold spell we have been having is coming to an end

@G-996 and updates over these changeable weather conditions ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back