Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 rear axle steering opinions

johncook

Hi,

still keen on a 991 GTS, but wondering if many on here have tried the rear axle steering on the 991 (any model)

does it make much difference / is it a worthwhile option to have??

did a search but couldn't see any threads on this on the forum.

would a 991.2 carrera S with rear axle steering be more fun than a GTS to drive?

wilpert said:
I have it on my turbo 991.1s but tbh I don't know what it would feel like without it.
I can confirm that it takes fast corners extremely well but again perhaps it would do this without it. Sorry that isn't much help but this article might be a bit more useful:

https://www.total911.com/porsche-991-turbo-s-rear-axle-steering-in-action/

thanks, yeah i've seen a few videos online. not may to be honest.

was just hoping someone had tried both with and without to see if they had noticed much of an improvement.

I know nothing about this but am interested why it might not be a good idea - apart form the extra cost?

Is the system prone to faults or going wrong?

Is it designed mainly for the race track? :?:

When I first got my 991.1 Turbo I could feel straight away the difference in the handling of the car. A friend of mine had it on his Turbo and we both said that it took a bit of getting used to. The main problem I noticed was that when you turn into a corner you know, at speed you end up cutting it, with the result that you end up 50p-ing the corner. What I mean by that is you turn in, then away then back in again to try and keep the line you took.
I'ts a bit disconcerting at first and it does take a bit of getting used to but THB I can't see the real advantage, most 911's go round corners like they're on rails anyway.
On my current car, a 991.2 Turbo, I don't notice it as much, in fact I sometimes wonder if it's working.
So either Porsche have dialled it down on the newer model or I've got really used to it.
The one thing I did decide after driving my 997 turbo then driving the 991 turbo, is that the 997 has a better steering set up without all the gizmo's.
Personally I just think it's another options box that'll cost you hundred's if not thousands for very little difference but no doubt the salesman will tell you a load of facts and figures to convince you how wonderful it is.

Tombri said:
I know nothing about this but am interested why it might not be a good idea - apart form the extra cost?

Is the system prone to faults or going wrong?

Is it designed mainly for the race track? :?:

cant be just for the race track because it works at low speeds ie. under 30mph if im correct.

Not heard of it being prone to issues or service requirements either, so can't see a downside.

Maybe get a turbo s instead of a gts and youll get it for free :dont know:

edit:

Porsche say this, which is a bit more concise - sounds like all cars should have it :D

Greater agility around bends, greater stability when changing lanes: Rear-axle steering
All 911 and Panamera models can be equipped with active rear-axle steering, or, depending on the model, are already equipped with this feature as standard. This rear-axle steering makes the two and four-door sportscars considerably more agile when steering around tight bends, more stable when changing lanes at high speeds and easier to handle in urban traffic. If the driver steers into a bend at less than around 50 km/h, the front and rear wheels steer in the opposite direction. This effectively shortens the wheelbase, allowing the sportscar to be driven effortlessly around the bend with smaller steering movements. A 911 with rear-axle steering also feels like a compact car when it comes to manoeuvring: the turning circle is reduced by 0.5 metres to 10.7 metres. But when it comes to changing lanes suddenly at high speeds, it's a different story. In such circumstances, the front and rear wheels steer in the same direction and the wheelbase is effectively extended. This provides greater stability and the faster build-up of lateral force at the rear axle allows the vehicle to change direction more spontaneously and harmoniously. But that's not all: The use of rear-axle steering delivers a considerably more direct steering ratio at the front axle, with a steering sensation that is unrivalled among the competition.

I ordered it on my 991.2 GTS and I'm really pleased with it.

When I was ordering my car I drove two cars to compare - one with and one without. I just felt that with RAS the car seemed to turn in much quicker and felt sharper at the front end. That may have also been down to the fact that the car with also had sports suspension, but to me it just felt nicer to steer and cornered more confidently.

I've now had my car for over 4 years and to be honest, I don't notice it specifically, other that that in my opinion the car handles brilliantly and has much higher limits than I do.

I don't think it's a deal breaker and I certainly wouldn't rule a car out that doesn't have it, but I don't regret speccing it and can't see any downsides.

Kiernan said:
I ordered it on my 991.2 GTS and I'm really pleased with it.

When I was ordering my car I drove two cars to compare - one with and one without. I just felt that with RAS the car seemed to turn in much quicker and felt sharper at the front end. That may have also been down to the fact that the car with also had sports suspension, but to me it just felt nicer to steer and cornered more confidently.

I've now had my car for over 4 years and to be honest, I don't notice it specifically, other that that in my opinion the car handles brilliantly and has much higher limits than I do.

I don't think it's a deal breaker and I certainly wouldn't rule a car out that doesn't have it, but I don't regret speccing it and can't see any downsides.

thanks, that's great to hear

I won't rule out a car without it. as expected it sharpens it up nicely

I came from a 991.1 GTS without to. a 991.2 GTS with RWS as some have said, it took some getting used to at first, the steering is so much sharper and entices you to press on through the bends. You don't need to be on a race track to experience it. Having not had it before I would definitely spec again.

I have rear axle steering on my 991.2 Carrera S. I find the car is definitely sharper and more agile. I didn't spec the option it was already on the car when I bought it. Having experienced it I would want it on my next car.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back