Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 adding front parking sensors

benmac

Hello all, first post etc. I bought a 12 plate Carrera last week. It's great. However, while it has some brilliant options (PASM, sports wheel, sport classics, sports exhaust, sport chrono etc) the one thing it is missing is front parking sensors, just rears

Hardly the end of the world but I was just wondering if it would be possible to add them? At the easiest I'd imagine it would need the sensor themselves, the bit of loom they attach to, the grilles that hold the outer ones and then some drilling and painting of the bumper to mount the centre ones.

So, does anyone know if this is a total non starter? For example, perhaps the wiring in the car simply doesn't have the connections so you could just plug the sensor loom in or that it would need a load of impossible coding to get the car to recognise they're there and use them etc etc. Or is it maybe a "simple" case of plug and play?

benmac said:
Hello all, first post etc. I bought a 12 plate Carrera last week. It's great. However, while it has some brilliant options (PASM, sports wheel, sport classics, sports exhaust, sport chrono etc) the one thing it is missing is front parking sensors, just rears

Hardly the end of the world but I was just wondering if it would be possible to add them? At the easiest I'd imagine it would need the sensor themselves, the bit of loom they attach to, the grilles that hold the outer ones and then some drilling and painting of the bumper to mount the centre ones.

So, does anyone know if this is a total non starter? For example, perhaps the wiring in the car simply doesn't have the connections so you could just plug the sensor loom in or that it would need a load of impossible coding to get the car to recognise they're there and use them etc etc. Or is it maybe a "simple" case of plug and play?

I'm quite new here but from my experience of other marques (BMW & Mercedes) plus the research I've done on other Porsche retrofits, I'd say it's doable but likely to be cost prohibitive.

I'm still looking for my 911 and Homelink is something I'd like but really rare here in the UK. I've found this company in Germany (Kufatec) can retrofit it with genuine parts. Most things are technically retrofittable but in many cases it's not cost effective, in my case Homelink was something like £190 as an option when new but the retrofit and coding is in excess of £1k!

I took a look at their site just now and they also list a retrofit kit for front & rear park assist. You could give them a call but I reckon you wouldn't get much change from £1k https://www.kufatec.com/en/porsche/...ssistant-front-rear-for-porsche-911-991-44388

Naturally 3rd party non-genuine parking sensors could be fitted but they wouldn't function the same and if you have an OPC warranty it would cause issues.

Front parking sensors

Not standard, but used the rear set in a Passat CC and it worked very well, no holes to drill....

Attachments

• b8a9ba96_02cf_46d7_88db_1667336f0fec_273.png
    b8a9ba96_02cf_46d7_88db_1667336f0fec_273.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,420
Thanks, yep the aftermarket ones are an option, may investigate those although it does have an OPC warranty until late next year so need to be wary of messing that up.

Ah, good find on those chaps in germany. I'll have a dig further there. Another small aspect that might make it more justifiable in terms of cost is that I want to put a private plate on it that's only 5 digits so short. I have the short plate plinth for the front already but I've noticed now that the standard one on there currently is screwed to the bumper nice and wide so putting the short one on would leave those holes exposed. As such that'd need to be filled and painted. Not worth the cost just for the plate but if doing the sensors too may become "man maths" justifiable.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back