Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 2013 model year pcm system 3.41

Jungle650 said:
dward85 said:
Jungle650 said:
For the money its worth thinking about upgrading the PCM rather than paying for newer maps - which will already be out of date.

On my 991 I went down the NM Automotive route and never looked back. See below link.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=146206

Jungle

This is an awesome post, how would the NM unit work if you have front/rear parking sensors but also want to add the camera module (either rear or front&rear)? Couldnt figure this part out.

Thank you.

Parking sensors front/rear work in unison with a camera/cameras. Obviously adding the camera for example to the rear of the car provides the picture and the parking sensor information is overlayed ontop of the picture by the NM Automotive box. The sound beeping acts as it did before. The great thing is that even if you dont use Apple car play and have the PCM in its original mode - (pressing and holding info button on the PCM switches between stock PCM function and Apple Car Play ) adding a camera still works- as if it was there from the factory, along with peeps. So in short everything just works.

As seen in pic below:

Wow i didnt expect it to be so seamless! Thanks so much for detailing that out along with the picture. There's literally no reason not to do this. One more question though, if a front camera is added. Do you have to toggle between the two, or do they both show up? And what if i just want to turn on the front camera....i have a tricky garage situation going on for when i pull in.

Though im still a bit hesitant with wiring in cameras ever since the C63 AMG burned down the entire garage because the people wired the camera is wrong and it set the car on fire :eek:

dward85 said:
Jungle650 said:
dward85 said:
Jungle650 said:
For the money its worth thinking about upgrading the PCM rather than paying for newer maps - which will already be out of date.

On my 991 I went down the NM Automotive route and never looked back. See below link.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=146206

Jungle

This is an awesome post, how would the NM unit work if you have front/rear parking sensors but also want to add the camera module (either rear or front&rear)? Couldnt figure this part out.

Thank you.

Parking sensors front/rear work in unison with a camera/cameras. Obviously adding the camera for example to the rear of the car provides the picture and the parking sensor information is overlayed ontop of the picture by the NM Automotive box. The sound beeping acts as it did before. The great thing is that even if you dont use Apple car play and have the PCM in its original mode - (pressing and holding info button on the PCM switches between stock PCM function and Apple Car Play ) adding a camera still works- as if it was there from the factory, along with peeps. So in short everything just works.

As seen in pic below:

Wow i didnt expect it to be so seamless! Thanks so much for detailing that out along with the picture. There's literally no reason not to do this. One more question though, if a front camera is added. Do you have to toggle between the two, or do they both show up? And what if i just want to turn on the front camera....i have a tricky garage situation going on for when i pull in.

Though im still a bit hesitant with wiring in cameras ever since the C63 AMG burned down the entire garage because the people wired the camera is wrong and it set the car on fire :eek:

Its a simple process of putting the cameras in place and plugging them into the NM Automotive box. The hardest part is routing the physical cable into the car. Its a time consuming process. If you are not confident get a professional to fit the system. They will obviously be quicker and will have done this sort of thing multiple times before. If you are London / surrounding areas I would recommend Alex from Vag Car Coding. He is now an authorised reseller and installer for NM Automotive.

With regards to the actual usage. The rear camera works in two ways. Automatically when you put the car into reverse ( without the parking brake on ) AND if you push one of the buttons on the PCM ( from memory I think Car, but dont quote me ). So as an example u can be sitting at a set of lights and look who is behind you by using the rear camera. Just press the appropriate button on the PCM system rather than putting the car into actual reverse. Or if in a tight spot hit the button to instantly see the camera image.

In a similar fashion the front camera would work in two ways. One when the front sensors get triggered when driving forward AND by pressing the appropriate button on the PCM to force the image. You would not see both images together. Only one at a time. Ie if reversing , rear image would be shown, if driving forward, front image. I'm not sure if you could flip between the images without engaging reverse / forward gears but might be possible with multiple presses on the PCM button, but I dont know if toggling will be possible as I only installed a rear camera.

Jungle

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back