Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3rd place snatched under safety car warning - opinions?

bazhart

Barcelona
3rd place snatched under safety car warning – opinions?
Snetterton Porsche Club event 5th June 2021 apparently – 3rd place taken under both safety car board and yellow flags when the car in 3rd slowed (after heeding the warnings) and the one in 4th passed – allowing the 4th placed car to keep the new 3rd place because the previously 4th placed driver 'didn't see the warnings"?

Just wondered what you all think about that when the officials admitted that despite the 3rd place car being clearly ahead at the safety car board, and yellow flag, despite the 4th place driver apparently admitting the result should have been swapped round, despite recent Championships being decided on one or two points – the 4th place driver was rewarded for 'not seeing the warning signs".

Not suggesting for one minute that the 4th place driver did see the warning signs – I don't think that is as important as what I think could become a dangerous precedent set that could inevitably reward drivers who in future 'do not pay enough attention" or 'take chances" under safety conditions?

How things have changed. 10 years ago at the last deciding event of the season at Silverstone - a privateer barely leading the same Championship had his qualifying time discarded because he unknowingly overtook in a corner because he 'didn't see a yellow flag" (which his on board camera proved he could not in the position he was in). He was then forced to start at the back of the grid. Despite then coming far enough through the field to still stand a chance of winning the Championship – that was taken away because in his euphoria thinking he had still won it – he apparently removed his racing gloves (and possibly his helmet) while slowly driving back to the pits - in the pit lane. Not defending him – or arguing against it - just pointing out the different standards over a 10 year period.

For those restricted from attending and listening to the commentary on Saturday – just to let you know that the engines in the cars that gained a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place – had a 1st and 2nd on the grid and achieved 2 fastest laps were built by Hartech and the car that started the 2nd race on pole, had the 2 fastest laps and that finished in 2nd and 3rd place over the 2 races was the Hartech Cayman S. I thought I would point that out as despite the huge Hartech logo on the bonnet I didn't hear the commentators mention Hartech once despite managing to mention another sponsor several times over – which dis incentivises other sponsors from supporting the Championship and helping make it the success it is today.

Sorry to hear it Baz. Great ratification of your team to have all those cars powered by your engines do so well.

The officials should be removed on a safety warning for a period (same as a driver would be).

Are the officials from the owners club? Sounds like they might have form like not protecting their members and concentrating on looking after themselves and their friends but it's not exactly the first time that has happened is it ?

I've raced in the Porsche Club Championship, albeit quite some years ago.

I can't see something like that happening under Kevlin; but he's gone now hasn't he?

In any case, that's totally unacceptable and cause for concern about future participation I'd have thought. Can you make a complaint to the MSA?

Having raced motorcycles at national club level for 5 years, overtaking on a yellow is a real no-no offence and back in my days would have been reported to race control by one of the hundreds of marshals we had around the circuit.

Not seeing the warnings is no excuse, that could have been a serious accident or blockage the driver carried on at race pace into. The rider involved back in my day would have had the result overturned, points rejected and had a serious dressing down by the Clerk of the course.

If it happened by accident as it would have been dangerous for the driver/rider behind to not take the place, they must allow the driver/rider who they illegally overtook, back into the place at the next safe opportunity.

That's a poor show, I've seen more discipline at a club track day.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back