Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2002 996T - Funny horn behaviour?!

youngsyr said:
Thank you very much for the detailed response!:)

PM your paypal or the address of a favourite charity and I'll buy you a drink/donate on your behalf. :thumb:

PS: what happens if I simply block the offending drain hole with a bit of silicone sealant? Hopefully the other 3 sunroof drain holes will just pick up the slack and get rid of the water? :?

I very much appreciate the offer but advice is free and always has been ... i consider it an honour to help out in a limited way where i can ... its kinda in my sig as well :)

You could certainly block the drain tube if you wished .. you will probably get water dripping onto the passenger's seat if it cant drain away though .

On the flat you would be ok but any angle towards this side when driving or parked this way and the water would overflow and onto the seat when raining .

I can't say 100% it's the sunroof drain tube but if you pour water down it and it drips inside the car then that's a pretty good indication it is that .

Having never replaced one i can only guess at a labour cost .. my total guess would be around 3 hrs labour plus parts .

For everyone else .. your making me Blush bless you all .. always a pleasure .

deMort said:
youngsyr said:
Thank you very much for the detailed response!:)

PM your paypal or the address of a favourite charity and I'll buy you a drink/donate on your behalf. :thumb:

PS: what happens if I simply block the offending drain hole with a bit of silicone sealant? Hopefully the other 3 sunroof drain holes will just pick up the slack and get rid of the water? :?

I very much appreciate the offer but advice is free and always has been ... i consider it an honour to help out in a limited way where i can ... its kinda in my sig as well :)

You could certainly block the drain tube if you wished .. you will probably get water dripping onto the passenger's seat if it cant drain away though .

On the flat you would be ok but any angle towards this side when driving or parked this way and the water would overflow and onto the seat when raining .

I can't say 100% it's the sunroof drain tube but if you pour water down it and it drips inside the car then that's a pretty good indication it is that .

Having never replaced one i can only guess at a labour cost .. my total guess would be around 3 hrs labour plus parts .

For everyone else .. your making me Blush bless you all .. always a pleasure .

Thanks very much, Ian. I'd like to donate to a charity to pass on the help. Do you have a preferred charity or should I just choose one?

I would much rather you kept your money and put it towards repairing your car as and when .

Advice is always free and that's how i feel it should be and thats why i post here .

Bless you .

deMort said:
I would much rather you kept your money and put it towards repairing your car as and when .

Advice is always free and that's how i feel it should be and thats why i post here .

Bless you .

Well thank you, it is much appreciated. :thumb:

A follow up question if I may, are the transponder units interchangeable - I get part number 996 618 159 01 for a 2002 996 Turbo Coupe, but I see that there are other numbers on the front of the part that suggest to me they may be matched to the immobiliser/key etc?

Ultimately, do I need to order one from Porsche, or can I pick up one off fleabay and fit it, e.g.@

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302875142068

If the alarm control unit under the seat has dried out and you have no issues then its fixed .. if you have issues then it should be diagnosed really by a garage ..

The alarm cu is not the part number you posted .. that's the key pil reader on the ignition lock and has nothing to do with this issue .. if thats faulty the car wont start at all .

This is the alarm control unit ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38401616...obChMIq4PDxYrj8AIVxojVCh2qfwJiEAQYASABEgLgZfD

its needs to be 433mhz for our country though .. the above is for info only .

It will need coding onto the car .. you may need a new key fob at £250 as well if the keys can't be read out from the old unit and transferred .

By coding i mean you will need an Indy or an OPC .. you will need to provide a V5 in your name .. its security stuff so you need to prove ownership basically .

before all this though .. you need to stop the water leak or you will be doing the above more than once .

In short .. get a garage to look at it if you have locking or alarm issues going forward .

deMort said:
If the alarm control unit under the seat has dried out and you have no issues then its fixed .. if you have issues then it should be diagnosed really by a garage ..

The alarm cu is not the part number you posted .. that's the key pil reader on the ignition lock and has nothing to do with this issue .. if thats faulty the car wont start at all .

This is the alarm control unit ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38401616...obChMIq4PDxYrj8AIVxojVCh2qfwJiEAQYASABEgLgZfD

its needs to be 433mhz for our country though .. the above is for info only .

It will need coding onto the car .. you may need a new key fob at £250 as well if the keys can't be read out from the old unit and transferred .

By coding i mean you will need an Indy or an OPC .. you will need to provide a V5 in your name .. its security stuff so you need to prove ownership basically .

before all this though .. you need to stop the water leak or you will be doing the above more than once .

In short .. get a garage to look at it if you have locking or alarm issues going forward .

Thanks again - I've put a cover on the car, so no morecwarer should be getting in.

I've started drying it out by soaking up the water with towels. Hopefully we actually get some dry, warm weather by the end of the week and I can let it sit out in the sun to fully dry out.

From experience .. lets just say i've worked on hundreds of wet cars over the years ..

The only effective way to dry them out is to remove them and hang them up to dry .. it's what i do at work .

The other option is lift the carpet over the center console and a dehumidifier in the car for several days .

The carpet has at least 2 inches of foam under it .. this is a giant sponge and it will stay wet unless removed .

Attachments

• p6290043_281.jpg
    p6290043_281.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 931
deMort said:
From experience .. lets just say i've worked on hundreds of wet cars over the years ..

The only effective way to dry them out is to remove them and hang them up to dry .. it's what i do at work .

The other option is lift the carpet over the center console and a dehumidifier in the car for several days .

The carpet has at least 2 inches of foam under it .. this is a giant sponge and it will stay wet unless removed .

Thanks! Will look at how to remove that piece of carpet. Failing that heaters on full blast and a dehumidifier is an option. :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back