Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ZDDP Additive for Engine Oil

Jcx

Estoril
Hi Folks,

Does anyone use any ZDDP additive for their engine oils? I happened upon this today quite by chance.

TIPEC Forum discussion about Oils and ZDDP additives. http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13839&start=45

To cut a long waffle short, ZDDP used to be included in high levels in engine oils when our cars were designed. Recent emissions laws and the introduction of OBDII and different Catalytic converter designs required lower and lower ZDDP levels. These lower levels can be harmful to our engines.

It is explained from a commercial perspective in this ZDDPlus vendor youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqABuZO6LVw

I am thinking about buying some to add to my fresh oil. Does anyone else use this? Buy ZDDPlus Additive in the UK. http://www.burtonpower.com/oil-additive-for-classic-engines-zddplus.html

Not sure Z but i dont think it is the same. The only big claim the ZDDPlus product makes is that it will make your modern oil work like old oil from your vehicle's origination date by putting the ZDDP back after modern legislation has removed it.

Goose said:
I found this guide to oil additives really informative....

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/snakeoil.htm

Granted i didn't read it all, but i did read all the way down to, and including, the zinc section and i think that, at least, is a bit light on 'reinforcement' for the 'snake oil' claims. This article does nothing to acknowledge the higher temperatures at which air cooled engines operate; causing more wear.

Not making a case for the ZDDP additive, i have no dog in that fight, just wanting to balance the argument a bit.

Just use an oil with an older API formulation.

They are on SN at the moment, so source for example SL which has higher ZDDP.

One available easly is Mobil Super 2000.

orangecurry said:

Yes just used mobil super 2000 butnit only contains 850ppm ZDDP and 1400ppm is the recommended minimum. 1800-2400ppm is ideal.

Jcx said:
orangecurry said:

Yes just used mobil super 2000 butnit only contains 850ppm ZDDP and 1400ppm is the recommended minimum. 1800-2400ppm is ideal.

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Re: additives, this is interesting... ETA but that thread doesn't give us 'facts' of course.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35836

'ZDDPlus" added to Royal Purple 20W50, API SN, synthetic = 63,595 psi
zinc = 2436 ppm (up 1848 ppm)
phos = 2053 ppm (up 1356 ppm)
ZDDP = 2200 ppm
The amount of ZDDPlus added to the oil, was the exact amount the manufacturer called for on the bottle. And the resulting psi value here was 24% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the ZDDPlus was added to it. Most major Oil Companies say to NEVER add anything to their oils, because adding anything will upset the carefully balanced additive package, and ruin the oil's chemical composition. And that is precisely what we see here. Adding ZDDPlus SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED this oil's wear prevention capability. Just the opposite of what was promised. Buyer beware.

orangecurry said:
....but hardly conclusive. It's a minefield of claim and counterclaim.

welcome to t'interweb. one thing that seems to ring true, change the oil often (2x per year) to protect as best you can while the oil is new and least contaminated.

Jcx said:
orangecurry said:

Isn't it the relative amounts of all these chemicals that is critical to 'lubrication'? Not just the absolute value of any particular component/element? Which is why the older formulations are 'better'? They were designed for the engines, rather than to reduce emissions of certain chemicals from the engines?

Jcx said:
orangecurry said:
....but hardly conclusive. It's a minefield of claim and counterclaim.

welcome to t'interweb. one thing that seems to ring true, change the oil often (2x per year) to protect as best you can while the oil is new and least contaminated.

I've always over-changed my oil, and in the 993 since 2008. I did send one sample of used oil off for analysis - it was still in excellent condition. Motul X-Cess 8100 5W40 FYI, but they've changed the formulation on that oil that is currently on sale (to API SN?), which I why I've gone to Mobil 2000.

But the 993 isn't as oil-sensitive as the 964 (apparently) so I'm just muddying your oily waters.

With 11 litres in a dry-sump arrangement, once a year on low mileage is probably going to be ok (famous last words).

orangecurry said:
Jcx said:
orangecurry said:

Isn't it the relative amounts of all these chemicals that is critical to 'lubrication'? Not just the absolute value of any particular component/element? Which is why the older formulations are 'better'? They were designed for the engines, rather than to reduce emissions of certain chemicals from the engines?

Yes indeed. The ppm (parts per million) is a relative value. Tbh i am groping in the dark on this, hence the question...

Jcx said:
Tbh i am groping in the dark on this...

I would say that this is probably true of all of us when it comes to oil generally.

A minefield.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicwheble
Back