Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

X-Pipe vs Manifolds

Blacky

Trainee
Hi folks, I'm wondering which exhaust related mod will give me more bang for buck, when it comes to noise(quantity and quality)? I'm not too fussed on performance gains, I have a completely stock PSE currently, and just need it to be decently louder/sportier, without going the route of a whole new exhaust. Opinions?

Alfaian said:
Gen 1 or 2 and budget? There's no end of options.

Gen 1, budget is as little as possible while still making a meaningful difference, I suppose(maybe around 1k). I'm in the EU, so ordering anything from the UK has become a bit of a pain cost-wise.

paul_mck said:
kinda in the same boat. thinking cats myself for a few reasons

1. its a definite restriction
2. internet says cats are biggest bang for buck
3. I dont need to deal with header -> head bolts snapping/rounding

Torn between the Top Gear 200cell XPipe and the D911 decat with tiny cheater cats installed

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...bypass-X-Pipes-DesignTek-for-Porsche-997_2_2/

Yeah, my original plan was to do the TopGear X-Pipe alright, the only issues I have are:
- Nobody seems to have just done the X-Pipe on a PSE system and put a video up for it, so I've no idea if it's going to be loud enough for me
- TopGear are in the UK, so ordering it will be pricey for me(in RoI)

cats 550-650 ish
headers 500 ish

you arent far off doing both. Although gaskets, clamps and stuff can rack up a little bit.

paul_mck said:
cats 550-650 ish
headers 500 ish

you arent far off doing both. Although gaskets, clamps and stuff can rack up a little bit.

I think I'll be charged handling fees and import charges(even though I shouldn't if the product is manufactured in the UK). I've heard loads of people having issues with shipping companies being a nightmare at the moment, I reckon I'd be looking at nearly 800 euro all in for the X-Pipe, and then fitting charges too.

ah that sucks, know any nordies could get it for you?

paul_mck said:
ah that sucks, know any nordies could get it for you?

Unfortunately not, it's crap really, as in theory it shouldn't cost me any more than it used to, as I should be able to buy the thing VAT free from the UK, be charged Irish VAT, and have no import charge, as the country of origin of the item is the UK. Supposedly DHL and the likes are just ignoring that and charging the import fee, as well as a sizeable handling fee for their 'efforts'.

Im up in Belfast if it helped but if you buy an xpipe and headers they might slip onto my car by mistake :D

I would have thought that x pipes (or the rear centre silencer replacement) would be the best bang for buck, as it's basically a bolt on.

But I feel you on the UK/EU goods thing. It's not worth my while ordering from the UK anymore, £ is relatively strong, shipping/tax/duty/handling is a nightmare, and Bob Alone knows when the stuff actually arrives...

I just order from Germany nowadays. I pay in Euros, stuff arrives in a couple of days.

paul_mck said:
Im up in Belfast if it helped but if you buy an xpipe and headers they might slip onto my car by mistake :D

:grin: cheers.

MaxA said:
I would have thought that x pipes (or the rear centre silencer replacement) would be the best bang for buck, as it's basically a bolt on.

But I feel you on the UK/EU goods thing. It's not worth my while ordering from the UK anymore, £ is relatively strong, shipping/tax/duty/handling is a nightmare, and Bob Alone knows when the stuff actually arrives...

I just order from Germany nowadays. I pay in Euros, stuff arrives in a couple of days.

Yeah it's very frustrating! The problem is, I haven't seen a similar X-Pipe promising a higher pitched tone like the TopGear one does, which is what I would like. Who are you ordering off in Germany?

Unbelievable about the delays & associated costs buying from the EU. About 2 months ago, I was looking for carbon ceramic brake pads (no dust) for my S63 AMG Mercedes Coupe. Could not find any in the UK but eventually ordered them from a company called RockAuto in the USA. Terrific service, emails answered same day (allowing for time difference). Shipping from the States was £14.37, no other surcharges & the best thing was they were delivered in a week, would have been quicker, but they specified weekday delivery, so were held back buy DHL in the UK for a day. Buying from the EU, delivery is sometime, never with surcharges. Makes you wonder :?:

[/quote]

Yeah it's very frustrating! The problem is, I haven't seen a similar X-Pipe promising a higher pitched tone like the TopGear one does, which is what I would like. Who are you ordering off in Germany?

[/quote]

So far, since Brexit, I've only needed to order simple factory parts for the other car from the likes of Amazon.de. Both that and mobile.de have English language options; I should try and find a replacement froot switch for the 997 come to think of it.

In the past I've sourced tyres and other German OE from source and from traders, just by doing a search. As I recall a 30kg set of new coilovers from Bilstein cost 30eur in shipping and arrived in 3 days.

Blacky said:
Hi folks, I'm wondering which exhaust related mod will give me more bang for buck, when it comes to noise(quantity and quality)? I'm not too fussed on performance gains, I have a completely stock PSE currently, and just need it to be decently louder/sportier, without going the route of a whole new exhaust. Opinions?

I guess you have started by turning the PSE on all the time as that is free and will give you a lot more noise low down the rev range?

If you do go down the header route you need to factor in the cost of having them fitted as the bolts are sure to brake when they are removed unless you are doing it yourself but you will still need a jig to do it. CATS will be easier to fit and will free things up iif you go for 200cel even though you said you are not worried about gains but that's just win win anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back