Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

WLS spec Turbo models

YPVS

Montreal
I never knew about this WLS variant of Porsches until today.

I was looking through my list of build codes on the high spec 2006 9PA Cayenne Turbo I bought a few months ago and one or two things stood out, like 19" brakes and another code - E81 - Powerkit 368KW.

Option codes here..

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/955/

Doing a bit of digging, this E81 Powerkit makes the car a Turbo WLS, which stands for "werksleistungssteigerung" in German or "Works Performance Increase" in English.

Basically, towards the end of model ranges, they often sell some cars with very high spec options from their "Exclusiv Program", the most obvious of which is the E81 factory Powerkit option, taking the 4.5 Twin Turbo engine to 500PS and 700nM of torque.

https://www.car.info/en-se/porsche/cayenne/cayenne-turbo-wls-6626440

Bit of a bonus. I doubt the previous owner even knew about this.

:thumb:

YPVS said:
Basically, towards the end of model ranges, they often sell some cars with very high spec options from their "Exclusiv Program", the most obvious of which is the E81 factory Powerkit option, taking the 4.5 Twin Turbo engine to 500PS and 700nM of torque.

That's super cool :thumb:

I've just bought a 2007 Turbo S so what is the difference between the Turbo and the Turbo S - in my mind it was just sports suspension etc but actually sounds like there might be some engine tuning differences?

Judder said:
YPVS said:

That's super cool :thumb:

I've just bought a 2007 Turbo S so what is the difference between the Turbo and the Turbo S - in my mind it was just sports suspension etc but actually sounds like there might be some engine tuning differences?

The difference is basically the E81 Powerkit, which also specifies the 19" brakes and 20" staggerred wheels, so a Turbo with an E81 Powerkit, is basically a Turbo S without the S badges to the boot and centre console. Otherb than that a throttle position sensor is the only difference.

The kit includes all sorts from Intercoolers and other performance parts.

A Turbo 955 is supposed to be 450bhp, a Turbo S is 520bhp. The Turbo known in Europe as a WLS (A Turbo with the E81 Powerkit, but only badged as a "Turbo" in the UK) is reported to have 500bhp officially, but owners say they dyno exactly the same as the Turbo S.

I suppose Porsche didn't want to tread on the heels of the Turbo S.

YPVS said:
A Turbo 955 is supposed to be 450bhp, a Turbo S is 520bhp. The Turbo known in Europe as a WLS (A Turbo with the E81 Powerkit, but only badged as a "Turbo" in the UK) is reported to have 500bhp officially, but owners say they dyno exactly the same as the Turbo S.

So I ran the option codes on my car and it has:

e8a - Turbo S

which would make it a Turbo S but is only badged Cayenne Turbo on the back - maybe as you say above they only badged them as "Turbo" in the UK

Judder said:
YPVS said:

So I ran the option codes on my car and it has:

e8a - Turbo S

which would make it a Turbo S but is only badged Cayenne Turbo on the back - maybe as you say above they only badged them as "Turbo" in the UK

The Turbo S is actually badged as such in the UK. It's also normally on the centre console too.

The 2 badges are the only easy thing to tell a Turbo with E81 and a Turbo S apart. Seemingly, other than the 2 logo's, it's only the TPS (which I presume is a "Throttle Position Sensor", which differs.

Maybe someone de-badged the "S" or I suppose it could be possible that if you spec E81 + the TPS, you get the E8A "Turbo S" spec but unbadged?

Either way, it's a bonus!

Couldn't select Park or Reverse.

Thought this might be useful to some if they ever get this gear selection issue.

I took the Cayenne out to a client site on Wednesday, as I had a lot of kit to drop off. I reversed up the steep drive and couldn't then put it in Park.

It was stuck in either Drive or Neutral and would not go into Reverse or Park.
I drove back down the hill and left in on the flat part, stuck in Neutral, so could also not remove the key from the ignition.

I popped in, did the basics of the job and headed off before the battery ran flat, to finish the job off remotely. I drove the 26 miles back hoping I'd never need reverse gear.

At home, I set about taking off the centre console cover around the gear selector. The button didn't feel right on the shift knob, so I popped the brushed ally centre stripe off and removed the shifter.

Sure enough, the safety button to move the selector from D/N to R/P or vice versa was broken. It should activate a little metal hook which pulls the plastic centre section of the shifter stalk up, to allow it to shift from D or N to R or P. This little hook fell out as I removed the shifter.

I have a second hand, whole selector assembly on it's way for £22 delivered, which has a leather cover in the same Savannah leather as my seats, so hopefully this will clean up nicely and I can steal the selector knob from it.

The gear selector knobs are bonded and can only be replaced as a whole knob, not just the hook and switch. If the knob from my second hand unit on it'[s way now, is no good, then a new genuine one from in walnut, is £250 from Rose Passion, possibly plus tax. Eek! They're over £300 in the UK.

This tiny little metal bit stops the car from selecting Drive or reverse. Luckily you can still remove the shift knob and pull up on the white locking tube as you shift from D/N to R/P, so at least I can still use the car.

Attachments

• img_4433_908.jpg
    img_4433_908.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 1,145
  • img_4433_908.jpg
    img_4433_908.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 1,145

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member