Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

winter tyres - 18 or 19?

mkoenigsheim

Monza
Opinions - 18" or 19" for better traxtiony?

I live in Munich so this is a serious question - within the next 2 weeks it will be munis temps for months with snow for weeks at a time...

18's are cheaper and am wondering if they might be better - for all other cars they recommend going for smaller wheel sizes so if anybody has real world experience I would appreciate it...

Theoretically, 18".

But I have 19".
295 on the rear instead of 305 with the summer tyres.

With the 4S it was never a problem on the Sport Design rims with Pirelli Sottozeros :thumb:
tbff.jpg

vk2s.jpg

9974ssnow.jpg

In action with 19" and winter tyres:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDSycYB2Z6o

For those of you who don't get to drive in alpine winters, here's a little clip I did after that Ice & Snow training event in the link above. I just left the GoPro recording when I set off for home. It is quite soothing to watch full screen :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOqYOJOJTI

18" are cheaper of course, but as 19" work fine and look better, I'm sticking with them.
Have the same size on the Targa 4S now too :thumbs:
zsdv.jpg

If you have to choose purely on physics: 18"

I haven't tried 18" so can't give you a comparison, but I've not noticed any traction issues with 19"...

Is there also an optimal tyre width? I believe the standard width is 10j on an 18" rim, but I'm getting conflicting advice on winter tyres, as I'm being told that 9" is the Porsche winter tyre rear specifiation

To expand on chimp's recommendation here are all your options for the gen1 and gen2 carrera and carrera S, 4 and 4S, wheel sizes, tyre sizes and brand/model-

Attachments

• image_877.jpg
    image_877.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 4,092
This is a very newbie question but can I fit 18 inch winter wheel when I have 19inch summer wheels.

There seems to be more (cheaper) option in the 18 inch rims

jeffa32 said:
This is a very newbie question but can I fit 18 inch winter wheel when I have 19inch summer wheels.

There seems to be more (cheaper) option in the 18 inch rims

Yes, as per the chart above. If they conform to the specs above, you'll be fine.

Here's a link to the chart proper (covers all porsche so requires scrolling down)

http://files1.porsche.com/filestore...&version=e1e4fc2e-8c77-4ef9-9a84-09b619634e06

And here's the summer wheel/tyre version -

http://files2.porsche.com/filestore...&version=e5efbd9e-c95d-47af-a09e-4363e28f8d79

Will these fit a Gen 2 C2S

Fronts - 8J x 18" ET57 fitted with 235 / 40 R18
Rears - 9J x 18" ET43 fitted with 255 / 40 R18

I dont see the 9J rears in the list above

Just had my winter wheels/tyres fitted this morning. They had sottozeros there but also some sets of Continental winter contact N0 and Michelin Pilot Alpin N1 - not sure if these are approved for 997 sizes, but good to know that there may be some alternative choices...

chimp911 said:
Just had my winter wheels/tyres fitted this morning. They had sottozeros there but also some sets of Continental winter contact N0 and Michelin Pilot Alpin N1 - not sure if these are approved for 997 sizes, but good to know that there may be some alternative choices...

Both michelin and continental are approved for 18" 2 wheel drive gen2 carrera/carrera S. All other variants and generations are pirelli or nokian.

My nokians go on tomorrow. Just in time for the milder weather!

Often the smaller (in this case 18") wheels are recommended so that snow chains can then more easily be fitted if required.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back