Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen rubber?

Tinker

The windscreen rubber that runs the whole width of the screen has come out. Have put it back but, at high speed, it's popped out again twice.

The domed-T-shaped rubber that's come out is the one whose cross-bar goes over the edge of the screen. The leg of the 'T' sits in the space between the roof and a hard rubber/plastic surround attached to the screen.

How to secure it, please?

On a previous car one of the surrounds had lifted from the windscreen, a bit of silicone sealant solved it. Certainly worth a try before anything drastic!

There are two parts to the trim: an outer (rubber) bit and an inner trim frame which retains it.

If the trim frame is loose, there are a couple of solutions, the dearer of which is to remove and refit the screen. I do not recommend silicone for this, or anything to do with automotive glass.

Glassman said:
There are two parts to the trim: an outer (rubber) bit and an inner trim frame which retains it.

If the trim frame is loose, there are a couple of solutions, the dearer of which is to remove and refit the screen. I do not recommend silicone for this, or anything to do with automotive glass.

The screen's fine, as is the trim that's attached to the screen. The difficulty is the rubber seal that's next to the roof.

Glassman said:
...between the edge of the glass and the roof?

Between the roof and the hard rubber/plastic trim of the screen.

Should just pop in quite easily, and stay in.

Is the trim frame on the glass firmly?

Glassman said:
Should just pop in quite easily, and stay in.

Is the trim frame on the glass firmly?
Yes, it pops in quite easily and then pops out at about 120mph.

So ... phoned OPC. 'Take it to Autoglass. If no joy, bring it to us.'
Autoglass: 'You need some Superglue on that, mate.'
Back to OPC: 'At your upcoming major service, we'll keep the car for an extra 2 or 3 days and find a solution. It could mean taking the screen out. Chances are it'll break, of course.'
To local indy: 'Hold on a sec.' (Am in his office. He disappears into workshop and comes back 5 minutes later.) 'OK. That's done. Siliconed it. Rubber gets floppy with time.' Me: 'How much is that, then?' Indy: 'Get out of here.'

993S_Ocean said:
So more than 24 hours later... How's it been? Still in place?
Just let me check ...

Well, after going through a car wash and over 120 several times, it's as tight as a drum. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkivalex
Back