Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

who's had paddles fitted to their PDK?

HarryH

Am looking for someone that has had the Sports upgrade and the paddle shift wheel retro-fitted to a standard C2S PDK, to get answers to a couple questions:

If I understand correctly, the Sport button has three settings - Off; Sport; Sport-plus. Sport setting gives the PDK a more sporty gearshift pattern, and changes the throttle position map to give the impression of a more responsive throttle. Sport plus does the same, only more so, and also gives access to the Launch function. Is that correct? When its a retro-fit do the lights in the wheel spokes work as intended?

Do you get a choice whether the Sport button automatically turns on Sport PASM as well? Ideally I'd prefer not - the only time I've felt the Sport PASM was a good choice was on smooth track tarmac - in the real world the Normal setting wins every time.

Is there only one choice of replacement wheel, or is there a choice of thicknesses, or between leather and alcantara? Or are the funkier ones I think I've seen only suitable for fitment to GTS models?

Finally, does the Sport plus setting give you a throttle blip on a downshift? That alone would be worth the £1500 I've been quoted by OPC to do the job. :D

Any advice or answers gratefully received. Cheers

Might be worth a pm to ekona, he had this done

*waves*

I'll go through your questions one paragraph at a time.

Yes, to the three settings. And yes, to how SP differs from S. If it's a later car (i.e. made after the lights in the wheel were available) then yes the lights will work. My wheel has no lights to light up full stop.

No, PASM goes to the harder setting when you press either the S or SP button, so you just have to press the PASM button straight after if you want it to stay soft. That's what I do 90% of the time.

Two wheels, one with lights in the spokes and one without as above. Both the same thickness etc. You can get it in either leather or alcantara though, as per the GTS. So I guess that makes four wheels really.

SP gives you the same throttle blip as S and the same as the standard mode, i.e. it rev matches more than blips. SP gives quicker and more aggressive gear shifts, so you get that thunk when you're WOT and near the redline and grab the next gear. There's also a change in how the PDK delivers the torque between normal, S and SP modes, but that's really a minor technical thing than anything else.

Either S or SP modes give you twice as much slip angle to play with before PSM kicks in, from 6% to 12% IIRC. That alone makes more of a difference to the drive than you would imagine, especially if you're happy feeling the car move about a bit. no substitute for PSM off though.

£1500 is well worth it, it transforms the car IMHO. SP in manual with PASM on soft is pretty much how I drive the car all the time now. And LC is just giggle worthy :mrgreen:

I ve retrofitted sports plus on 4 cars
and fitted a paddle shift steering wheel to a car with Sports chrono plus to a 2009 car
the lights in the steering wheel worked on the retrofitted steering wheel

But I do recall that when I fitted the steering wheel i was with the technician and the conversation went along the lines of
the PIWIS ( laptop) asks whether the car is 2010 model year, I suggested that as the paddle shift wasn't an option till 2010, say yes, and the lights work on the steering wheel

so I wonder if the lights are feature of factory fit sports chrono or the software settings of the car

also when you retrofit sports plus, the software is already on the ecu, all Porsche supply is a vin no specific unlock code, they don't supply a cd disc type soft ware to programme into the car

Awesome, Dan Mark thanks very much, really helpful.
I'm definitely going to get it done.
My car is a 2009 though, so hopefully my OPC can make the lights work - I've asked them to confirm.
Thanks again guys.

No probs, let us know if you go with the leather or alcantara wheel :)

Update:

Alcantara wheel eye-poppingly expensive, so its going to be leather

"Correct" wheel for 2009 car is apparently one without lights - OPC say I could fit one with the lights no problem but seem certain that the lights would not work. Seems best therefore to go with the one they recommend.

Apparently I get two new buttons on the centre console - one for Sport and another one for Sport plus - is that what you got Dan? When you press them I assume they have a little red light in the switch, but do you also get a message on the instrument binnacle like you do when you switch PASM mode?

Any chance you can post up a couple of photos?

when I ordered a paddle change steering wheel
I was asked whether the car has sports chrono or not
if it had chrono they order a steering wheel with lights
as the car had chrono i ordered one with and fitted it coded to piwis no problem

HarryH said:
Apparently I get two new buttons on the centre console - one for Sport and another one for Sport plus - is that what you got Dan? When you press them I assume they have a little red light in the switch, but do you also get a message on the instrument binnacle like you do when you switch PASM mode?

Any chance you can post up a couple of photos?
Yes, two buttons: One for Sport and one for Sport Plus, as you correctly say. You do get a little text on the top left of the display on the binnacle letting you know which is active, although that's pretty obvious as you'll have reached across and pushed the button! :lol:

2cdfgvr.jpg

Not my car, but that's exactly what they look like. On the other side I've got the PSE, spoiler and PSM buttons.

Dare I ask how much the alcantara wheel was?

mark pearce said:
when I ordered a paddle change steering wheel
I was asked whether the car has sports chrono or not
if it had chrono they order a steering wheel with lights
as the car had chrono i ordered one with and fitted it coded to piwis no problem

I can confirm this! :D

Wouldn't have a PDK without SC and paddle shift wheel.

I am just about to take the Paddle wheel off my car to replace it with a MF wheel so my wheel will be for sale if you are interested.

Interesting - why the change?

When I was looking I had paddles as a must have, but I really haven't used them much at all in the month or so that I've had my car.

Not really sure why. Maybe I'll start to use them more as I get more familiar with the car :?:

davidjf7 said:
Interesting - why the change?

When I was looking I had paddles as a must have, but I really haven't used them much at all in the month or so that I've had my car.

Not really sure why. Maybe I'll start to use them more as I get more familiar with the car :?:

If that was aimed at me, the paddles I would use maybe once per month. The MF controls for the radio I would use every time I am in the car.

Also the MF wheel is heated which is REALLY nice in the winter. I dont track my cars so the paddles are not that much use to me.

I don't track my car either. I just don't like retarded backwards buttons ;)

The Sport Design wheel is also thicker and nicer to hold than the standard wheel, so that's a bonus too. I found the MF buttons too fiddly to be any real use. The heated option is ace, though.

I use my paddles quite often, but I mainly use in the weekends, so perhaps this has something to do with it.

With the console / radio being so close, I personally don't see the need for a MFSW. I also imagine they could get in the way in spirited driving.

Hey, each to their own. Do what suits you.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macca2000
Back