Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whining sound from engine

anotherGT2

Mugello
I got the car back from Porsche on Friday, new strut fitted and that finally seems to have cured the creaking/rattling it's had for the past 10 months... great :)

However, when I got the car home I noticed that whilst it was idling there was a strange whining noise coming from the engine. Sounds almost like the bearings are starting to fail in something. The pitch increases with throttle input and the noise is audible whilst moving in and out of gear, at higher speeds it gets lost in the sea of other GT2 noises!

Listening to the engine it sounds like it's coming from one of silvery bits bolted to the back of the engine, but I don't want to get too technical :)

Anyone know what this might be?

Yeah mate...you're car is (like mine) complaining of severe under usage ie,
your car is complaining of a lack of proper use of max throttle and a lack
of any ''g' going into and through the corners...!

Sorry to be a bit glib !!...i'm sure it's something silly anyhow ! :grin:

nick w said:
Yeah mate...you're car is (like mine) complaining of severe under usage ie,
your car is complaining of a lack of proper use of max throttle and a lack
of any ''g' going into and through the corners...!

Sorry to be a bit glib !!...i'm sure it's something silly anyhow ! :grin:

:D

I took it out for a drive this evening to see if it was something that might work itself out with a bit of enthusiastic driving but it didn't help :?

It doesn't sound serious and the engine sound is very healthy when that drowns it out :)

I guess it's just some pump/motor/belt/spanner left in the engine :D

I'll be back down to Porsche on Monday, if I didn't love this car I would have changed it by now as it seems to be back there every other week.

These engines are noisy at idle, are you sure it wasn't always that way?

orangecurry said:
Have you seen your wife recently?

Hey, good question..if not maybe a bit random :wink:

anotherGT2 said:
However, when I got the car home I noticed that whilst it was idling there was a strange whining noise coming from the engine. Sounds almost like the bearings are starting to fail in something. The pitch increases with throttle input and the noise is audible whilst moving in and out of gear, at higher speeds it gets lost in the sea of other GT2 noises!

Listening to the engine it sounds like it's coming from one of silvery bits bolted to the back of the engine, but I don't want to get too technical :)

AC compressor? It's been warm recently for the first time in eons. You've probably just forgotten what your AC sounded like. :)

Red993C4 said:
anotherGT2 said:

AC compressor? It's been warm recently for the first time in eons. You've probably just forgotten what your AC sounded like. :)

That's interesting. On the way back from the OPC on Friday it was about 22 degrees, I switched on the AC and it was pumping out warm air on the lowest setting, guess that could be on the way out. I'm sure I've not heard it before and I used the AC a fair bit last summer.

Also, this evening I had the AC turned off, is the compressor running off one of the belts so would still make a noise even if it's off?

Try listening with a length of tube to better locate it. It sounds like a bearing somewhere.

MC

You should re name this thread "whining sound from the drivers seat" :floor:

anotherGT2 said:
Red993C4 said:
anotherGT2 said:

That's interesting. On the way back from the OPC on Friday it was about 22 degrees, I switched on the AC and it was pumping out warm air on the lowest setting, guess that could be on the way out. I'm sure I've not heard it before and I used the AC a fair bit last summer.

Also, this evening I had the AC turned off, is the compressor running off one of the belts so would still make a noise even if it's off?

The AC compressor's pulley just free-wheels when the AC is not in operation, but when it is switched on a clutch engages and it starts compressing the refrigerant gas. From memory, I don't think you'd normally hear it above other engine noises, but if refrigerant level is depleted it may be louder than normal. :dont know:
The AC compressor is one of the "silvery bits" on top of the engine being driven by a polyrib belt. :D

I had the same on my C2.

Really very irritating, but it was the AC gas running low.

Had it topped up and all was well.

If the gas runs low enough, it will eventually cut the compressor off, but just before that point it becomes noisy.

During the PPI for my X50 Turbo, my car was diagnosed as probably being a little low on refrigerant because when the indy switched the AC on at idle it was noisy. Porsche advise a re-gas every two years as there is up to 10% refirgerant loss per year through the joints and pipework.

I had it re-gassed by him and the AC is whisper quiet all the time. I was advised to always leave the AC on with the climate control even in cold weather and especially in cold damp weather - it stops all the inside misting up when it's all damp outside. My daily driver E-class Merc by default always has the climate control switched on - the driver has to intervene and switch it off.

You can try Kwik Fit for re-gas at £49 - there is a thread from GT4 about it - he had his done recently.

Cheers all, with the AC not working properly I'd guess this is it then :thumbs: :thumbs:

Will get it re-gassed this week which should hopefully solve it.

:D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malaking
Back