Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which Tyres

stretch

Monza
Morning all.

the tyres on my new purchase, 98 C2 996 are past there best. I will refurb a set of hollow spokes as this is what they came with. What is considered the best tyre to fit on these wheels. ?

Thanks in advance

In recent years I and also a good friend have always fitted Pilot Sport 4S' to our road-cars, he's got a lot more cars than me including Bentleys and Astons etc. and literally he's fitted the P4S to everything bar his track-cars.

Anyway I fitted a set to my C4S around Christmas and am really happy with them, they're not N rated (Porsche approved) but this doesn't concern me having had nothing but great experience with them previously and likewise my friend.

Don't think it would make any difference at all, how could it?? The N rating thing seems to be very out of date and PS4S' are the latest equivalent of the Super-Sport (or whatever it was called) that was N rated many years ago.

I think one of the more track orientated tires (Cup??) may be N rated but this would be too track focused for an all weather road car.

Its your call obviously so fit what you want, just letting you know what a good tire I believe the PS4S is for all weather sporty cars.

I even fitted a set to our "old" Audi SQ5, I hated the P-Zeros it came with and they transformed the handling. I fitted a set to my wife's Polo GTI and again they transformed the handling....

stretch said:
Thanks for the reply. I wonder how the rating would sit with Insurance in the event of a claim.🤔

As long as the tyres are of the right size/fitment and have a legal amount of tread an Insurance company would not have an issue.

The N rating simply shows that the tyres are 'Porsche approved'. It's not mandatory to fit them.

I put N rated PS2 on my turbo recently. I very much like the PS4S also but when I get back to Germany I want to be able to go for a personal speed record on the autobahn and not worry about the tyres not being tested at those speeds. If it's just staying in the U.K. I would probably have gone ps4s also.

Robbidoo said:
I put N rated PS2 on my turbo recently. I very much like the PS4S also but when I get back to Germany I want to be able to go for a personal speed record on the autobahn and not worry about the tyres not being tested at those speeds. If it's just staying in the U.K. I would probably have gone ps4s also.

All tyres have a speed rating on them. Surely you can get a PS4S with the same rating as the PS2. :dont know:

You know those PS4s have a speed rating right? And that it's applicable to all cars they are the right size for. "N" is mostly just a marketing BS and a 20 years old 911 is not a Veyron that requires super special wheels and tires. Just a good ones within the spec.
My dog, some people will believe absolutely everything a beloved company tells them to believe...

If the car was new and had N-rated tyres, I'd want to swap like-for-like, but I wouldn't put obsolete tyres on my car, I'd want the latest. The MPS4S on my 997 are far better than the N-rated PS2s that came before them.

GrafZero said:
You know those PS4s have a speed rating right? And that it's applicable to all cars they are the right size for. "N" is mostly just a marketing BS and a 20 years old 911 is not a Veyron that requires super special wheels and tires. Just a good ones within the spec.
My dog, some people will believe absolutely everything a beloved company tells them to believe...

I didn't come here to be insulted by you - we can all have opinions - if you want to show some data that proves it's all marketing then do so - otherwise wind your neck in?

GrafZero said:

Your last sentence is out of order. This isn't Pistonheads.

With regard to 'N' rating it's a lot more than just marketing.

See -> http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=53470&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

and

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=92039&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

On the topic of MP4S and speed rating. I have them on another car and they are (Y) rated, which means 300 kph plus. They are fine for autobahn use.

I did 600mph in my 996.2 with PS4s and had no issues, at least that's the speed my daughter quoted to my wife when we got home, it may have been a little less in reality.

Either way, Michelin make good tyres and there are unlikely to be many high performance modern tyres that are worse than the best of 20yrs ago.

GrafZero said:

OK, I was going to bite my tongue, but........

N rated is not marketing BS, a bit like star rated for BMW etc. etc.

The N rated Michelin PS2 actually uses a firmer compound on the outside 1/3 or so of the tyre, which gives you that lovely sharp, positive turn in feel that you expect from a Porsche.
They have done the same for the * rated BMW PS4S as well, compared to the off the shelf PS4S.

So it is far from BS and just makes you look very ignorant.

What do you want from your tyre Stretch?

Is there anything you feel is missing?

I have found the following. All 225 front and 265 rear, 18's.

Bridgestone N rated S02A have the best steering feel and turn in. But noisy and a very hard ride. Also, when the back end does let go it snaps.
But on a smooth road they are amazing.

PS4, super comfy, super quiet, super grippy, wet weather grips is unreal, and the back end is progressive, you have plenty of notice that it is going to let go.
However, the steering is a bit wooly, turn in is not the best. But as an every day tyre is is great.

Pilot Sport Cup 2, unreal levels of grip in the dry, steering feel is great, although still not as sharp as the Bridgestones, but very close.
Wet and cold and it starts to fall apart. Hence not a great road tyre for the UK.

N rated PS2. These are pretty good, feel positive on steering, and seem to grip great, not as quiet as PS4 or Cup 2's though and not as comfy.
But remember, we have N, N1, N2, N3, so they have evolved over the years, the ones you buy today are probably far closer to a PS4S than an original PS2 from 20 years ago. Maybe someone know what the changes have been over the years?

Pirelli - awful. Mine came on a set of wheels, year old, with about 6mm all round, they lasted less than a tank of fuel.

I think if I was to start again I would go 235 front and 285 rear PS4S, because you can get them in that size. Or is it 295 actually?
But I think this would work really well. Are they worth £900 vs £550 for PS4? Hmmm? That would be personal. I reckon they might.

One thing I will say with the PS4, with a decent geo set up, they cope with our shitty UK B roads really well.
I would say though that make sure you don't have too much toe in on the front, ideally 0.01 or 0.02, otherwise they can make the car feel a little dead off centre, more so at slower speeds.

I am running them at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCGMS
Back