Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which polish do you prefer for your 993 and why

Menzerna 203S on a DA Machine Polisher

Good all in one polish. Sufficient cut to remove the swirls but without having to refine the finish afterwards.

Meguiars deep crystal system seems to work well for me.

Hi SL7,

For me its all about time V satisfaction. I have tried wax (dodo juice) and this worked really well, but did take some time. But recently I bought a bar of Bilt Hamber soft clay and then finished with some Meguiars NXT tech wax and the car came up an absolute treat (for me anyhow). The whole process from start to finish took about an hour and a half...

This could become a 'show off your shiny car thread' :D

Cheers,
Lig.

676982244_o.jpg

676982264_o.jpg

676982291_o.jpg

...so do you mean polish or sealant or what?

Best polish I've used is Menzerna - better than Meguiars IME - using a DAS.

Longest-lasting sealants that I've used are a Zaino Z2-Z8 combo.

orangecurry said:

Indeed. Whole different kettles of fish polishes and waxes!

Wax: For my sins I used Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax.
I love it, and after trying loads of different stuff over the years it's the one I'm sticking to. Just spray mist a panel with it and wipe/buff with a clean dry cloth to get a really deep shine, very smooth feeling finish, and the water beads off it nicely for quite a while as well.

The good thing about it is you can wax the whole car in under 15 mins, meaning I do it more often than with the 'old' waxes. No residue, or anything left anywhere either. :thumb:

I can see this turning into the classic SRP debate :D

Hands up those using autoglym super resin polish as a wax :hand:

As I've said previously, I use Menzerna 203S as my choice of polish on a dual action machine polisher. I use the polish to bring up th clarity on the paintwork, remove as much of the swirls within my capabilities and time. If I want perfection ill pay for a professional.

My choice of protection depends on the colour. On lighter colours I've opted for a sealant such as the Werkstat range. The great thing about this product is that its a spray on so its easy to top up and apply multiple layers of protection. For darker colours I've gone for Waxes, Currently i use Zymol Glasur which was a gift and although quite pricey its super easy to apply. In between washes I use their Field Glaze as a quick top up.

I've also used the Duragloss range as well with great success. In all honesty I think all products on the market will do a great job providing you put the hard work in to get the preparation right. The rest is based on price, availability and which brand marketing catches your attention. The key thing in my experience is not use too much product otherwise it makes a relatively simple task into a chore.

NinjaPower said:
orangecurry said:

Indeed. Whole different kettles of fish polishes and waxes!

Wax: For my sins I used Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax.
I love it, and after trying loads of different stuff over the years it's the one I'm sticking to. Just spray mist a panel with it and wipe/buff with a clean dry cloth to get a really deep shine, very smooth feeling finish, and the water beads off it nicely for quite a while as well.

The good thing about it is you can wax the whole car in under 15 mins, meaning I do it more often than with the 'old' waxes. No residue, or anything left anywhere either. :thumb:

Wow! That is a shiny car :thumb:

I use Collinite and Zaino Z6...once in a while :grin:

Gtechniq C1 and Exo on Porky, Glasur on the Audi. :thumb:

Recently got some of that new Sonax quickshine detailer, which sprays on like a QD but protects like a sealant. V.impressive so far. :)

On my 911 (GT Silver) i polished it with Gtechniq P1 and then C1 crystal laquer. This works well on silver metallics and light coloured cars IMHO. I top this up with diluted C2 every wash.
On my black Range Rover Sport the Gtechniq aint so great and I reverted to using Autoglym SRP followed by Extra Gloss Protection :thumb:

jonttt said:

Whats the difference between polish and wax ??????

Thought I had logged on to DW by mistake for a minute... :)

As an amateur I'm a fan of Meguiar's polishes when used with a DA polisher and after appropriate rinse, snow foam, two bucket wash, clay bar treatment, wash again etc etc

For application to a clean and prepared surface then I'm currently using Zaino products. Very happy with Z3 (three coats), then Z6 (or Z8 after a regular wash). For wheels I have previously favoured Poorboys sealant but lately I have gone with Colonite 476. Overall I seem to be getting the deepest and wettest finish so far and the car is not a dark colour so thats not too easy to achieve. A couple of photo's after cleaning last week.

IMG_1277_zps5e451369.jpg.html

IMG_1276_zpsb6abfd74.png.html

JohnnyDangerous said:
jonttt said:

Whats the difference between polish and wax ??????

In simple terms every time you use a polish you remove some lacquer and if you remove enough you get through to the paint!

A wax does the opposite and adds protection to the lacquer.

I'll try and find the thread of the guy who cleaned his car every week with SRP for years until he eventually "burnt" the paint.

Almost as bad as washing a car with fairy liquid, have you seen the salt content, no faster way to both knacker your paintwork and getting it to rust at the same time Ps it's good for stripping wax off though pre cleanse

Ps I've seen someone use fairy liquid as a screen wash, that was fun like a foam party

jonttt said:
I'll try and find the thread of the guy who cleaned his car every week with SRP for years until he eventually "burnt" the paint.

I'd be interested to read about that if you find it, never heard of that happening on DetailingWorld, which is where most things like that would be found.

(AG mention on their FAQ that SRP will not damage paintwork)

:?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macca2000
Back