Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

which model to use for retro conversion

bbvet

I have a 993 which I cannot fault. However I've always hankered after an original 911S with the pretty front and rear bumpers. These are now way out of my price bracket so I've been thinking of buying a later model for a retro conversion a la Singer but without the 200k price tag! Looking about there seems to be plenty of 964s around in the low teens, I appreciate that these are likely to be quite shabby and need a fair bit spent on them, but would one of these make a good starting point for a retro conversion? :dont know:

What about a Paul Stephens recreation model?

~ Maxie

My advice would be to buy a car that's already been backdated, they pop up every now and then. Trouble is that buying a car to backdate can be a can of worms and costs can easily spiral out of control. I seriously looked into doing something similar last year but then decided against the whole thing. For me, the idea of an older car with its sexy looks and petit proportions was more appealing than the reality. After driving some examples of older cars I decided that they weren't comfortable enough for me to use regularly, which was one of the main requirements (... but may I'm just a soft Londoner...).

A 964 is probably the best place to start for a modern-driving backdate, but bare in mind that panels on the 964 were different to the older models. Pre-964 the body panels were fairly interchangeable, but the 964 changed a lot, so for instance you won't just be able to buy SC panels and stick them on as the proportions are different.

Paul Stephens wouldn't be a bad place to start, but they can be pricey.... I've been perving over this SC for a while, could be the basis for an interesting project, and has been on sale for a while so a deal might be had on it http://www.paul-stephens.com/Porsche-911-SC-Sport-Road-legal-Race-car/car4225

Pete I think you need to do it :grin:

... You could always backdate one of your 964's... as you know... Paul Stephens sell panels that look 70's style but will fit a 964 :thumb:

Great advice Roro, Thanks. Still hasnt put me off altogether, working in Ireland this week and very tempted to check out a 964 C4 on sale for 12.5 k, although with their climate i would be concerned over the state of the body work.

Roro said:
A 964 is probably the best place to start for a modern-driving backdate, but bare in mind that panels on the 964 were different to the older models. Pre-964 the body panels were fairly interchangeable, but the 964 changed a lot, so for instance you won't just be able to buy SC panels and stick them on as the proportions are different.

Paul Stephens wouldn't be a bad place to start, but they can be pricey.... I've been perving over this SC for a while, could be the basis for an interesting project, and has been on sale for a while so a deal might be had on it http://www.paul-stephens.com/Porsche-911-SC-Sport-Road-legal-Race-car/car4225

Not sure Ive even seen anyone bother to backdate a 964 to an impact bumper, cant see the point of that idea

Backdates of 964 and IB cars to early longhood cars are pretty common, and whilst a lot of work can look fantastic

The SC you show is forward dated to look like a 964, whats that all about?

917k said:
The SC you show is forward dated to look like a 964, whats that all about?

I suspect that car was created by Paul Stephens - with all the 964's that they've backdated over the years they must have stockpiles of 964 parts just lying around...

"be plenty of 964s around in the low teens" Where?

Discord23 said:
"be plenty of 964s around in the low teens" Where?

There's currently 2 on ePorsch ... £12,995 each, there's a couple more on PH as well, probably others elsewhere too.

pirellipete said:
For £8000 how could you go wrong with this one...

I bet he'd even take an offer as he took it in P/Ex..

http://www.911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=4125

Was thinking along the same 'impact bumper' lines as Pete here, maybe a 3.2/ G50?

The backdating was put to me as an idea when my 3.2 needed work:

The front wings on a LOT of these cars are shot (£700+ each), the front and rear bumpers (laminated ally) are corroded and £600+ each if you can find some. The plastic trims, smiles, impact rubbers and overiders are crazy money.

If you find a 3.2 that needs front wings (likely) and has knackered bumpers (again, likely), ripped or worn cloth trim (likely) you are looking at a car the owner needs to spend big money on to get right...

...but!!!

You don't want those bumpers, and you want different wings, you probably want a retrim or retro seats! Cash in! If you are lucky then you will have a whale tail and lots of very expensive black plastic trim to sell.

The interior is a lot more spartan than the 964 too, which will help with the retro thing?

:?:

"There's currently 2 on ePorsch ... £12,995 each, there's a couple more on PH as well, probably others elsewhere too." Targas!!! :hand:

Not all are Targas, 2 are coupes. Besides nothing wrong with a Targa if you're backdating.. all you're doing is a little more welding ... :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macca2000
Back