Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which coolant for 996 c4s???

Harms

Hi all, as the title says... Which coolant Do I need to top up my 2002 c4s?? I've tried google searching and checking the owners manual but I'm getting no definitive answer :dont know:

My check coolant warning message and light came on today so need to put some in, I've checked the tank at the back and it's below minimum level.

Advice would be gratefully appreciated, thanks guys!!

And once topped up, KEEP a check on your levels carefully! 30 seconds in the morning could save you cooking your engine.

Coolant top up after water pump/LTT/coolant replacement @OPC

Hi guys,

Don't want to take over the OP's thread, just have a quick question related to coolant.

Have a 2004 996 C4S Cabrio with 72.000 miles, FPSH.

Bought a Wahler LTT from ebay, then went to local OPC to have the water pump and coolant replaced (now have the pink version) + the LTT installed.

Drove the car for 100 miles than re-checked the coolant level and was below the min mark. Returned to the OPC and they have done a top up of about half a liter.

They told me this was normal... Is it?

Or should I better keep an eye if there's a leak anywhere? I looked at the water pump and was dry, no leaks.

Thanks.

Just to let you know the coolant I bought for my car today is pink too. I had the garage look up the one I needed.

Re: Coolant top up after water pump/LTT/coolant replacement

csubtil said:
Hi guys,

Don't want to take over the OP's thread, just have a quick question related to coolant.

Have a 2004 996 C4S Cabrio with 72.000 miles, FPSH.

Bought a Wahler LTT from ebay, then went to local OPC to have the water pump and coolant replaced (now have the pink version) + the LTT installed.

Drove the car for 100 miles than re-checked the coolant level and was below the min mark. Returned to the OPC and they have done a top up of about half a liter.

They told me this was normal... Is it?

Or should I better keep an eye if there's a leak anywhere? I looked at the water pump and was dry, no leaks.

Thanks.

Yes, it's normal.

See the above linky about (repeated) "burping".

Only driving around will fully get all the air bubbles out, irrespective how long you run it stationary.

No harm in checking for leaks - do this regularly anyway: the rads or header tank could leak at any time.

And yes, pink is the correct colour.

Hi,

Guys, still need help.

After LTT installation, water pump and coolant replacement, I am loosing coolant through the coolant cap.

20130425171353.jpg

Through reading GT4 post, I understood the "repeated burping" process.

When I went back to the OPC to have a coolant top up, they told me that after the initial coolant replacement, they only drove the car for 6/7 miles. So it was normal to have the need to do the top up.

Today I drove the car for 70 miles, than parked to check the coolant level and is back to minimum again, because the coolant cap is leaking (old version, part number ends in 01) as you can see at the picture.

Tomorrow I will go back to the OPC and buy coolant to top up at home.

Should I do what GT4 describes in his post? Meaning, cold engine, put coolant at max level, leave coolant cap off, leave burp valve open (I guess that metal "thing" up), start engine and let it idle for several minutes. Than put the coolant cap on, still leave the burp valve open and drive for 10/20 miles to get all the air out. Then close burp valve (put metal "thing" down?!).

I guess the guys at the OPC didn't drive the car with the burp valve open, so the air trapped in the coolant system is making the coolant leak through the coolant cap. Does this makes sense?

Or should I also get the updated coolant cap (ending in 04)?

Thanks.

CS.

You can only "burp" stationary with cap off (this is for initial settling).

Put cap on for any driving.

If the cap doesn't fit, get a new one (common failure)

Just to give some feedback on the loosing coolant issue.

It was in fact the coolant cap.

Bought the new version (ends in 04), did a coolant top up, drove 25 miles with the valve open, closed the valve and now its perfect.

No more coolant leak.

Thanks to all for your help!

CS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Z102B
Back