Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

which 996 battery

knw911

Silverstone
Hi guys

Need a new battery I think for the 996 Targa. Currently has a Bosch S4010, but looking online it recommends the S4008. Then I have seen some threads on here where people have recommended the S5010, which i then look online says its not the right one.

So simple question - which battery should I buy?

This is the one you want: S5 008 Bosch Car Battery 12V 77Ah Type 096 S5008

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteri...3RD4wTjgyNaoXrgfnK20ePbmvJlGuLSxoCQeIQAvD_BwE

S5008-Bosch.jpg

That's because the other one is for a 997, which is what the OP in that thread was asking. Deffo this one for your 996: S5 008 Bosch Car Battery 12V 77Ah Type 096 S5008

Alex said:
That's because the other one is for a 997, which is what the OP in that thread was asking. Deffo this one for your 996: S5 008 Bosch Car Battery 12V 77Ah Type 096 S5008

Thanks - i winder why ive got the S4010 in it at the moment then?

The S number is just how many years warranty there is on the battery. S4 = 4 years, S5 = 5 years, etc.

Think the S4 used to be the recommended one, but why get 4 when you can have 5 for not much difference in price?

Alex said:
The S number is just how many years warranty there is on the battery. S4 = 4 years, S5 = 5 years, etc.

Think the S4 used to be the recommended one, but why get 4 when you can have 5 for not much difference in price?

yeah, but I wonder why mine has the 010 it rather than the recommended 096 / 008 as you mention

That link above is the smaller battery. The S5 in the other thread will be the 315mm version, like the S4 you currently have.

When my battery died for the 3rd time in 8 years in my Targa I switched to a BOSCH S5A11 (AGM).
No problems since fitted it in 2017. Car is permanently on a CTEK MX5 charger.

knw911 said:
Alex said:

yeah, but I wonder why mine has the 010 it rather than the recommended 096 / 008 as you mention

The cranking amps also used to be higher on the S5. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Due to the weak starter motors in a 996, and a power cable from the front to the back of debatable quality... The largest one you can get in there!

Bosch and Varta are good, others are as well, cheap ones not so much.

S5 from Bosch is 5 yr warranty, S4 is 4, S3 is 3. You gets what you pay for.

I have a 574.035 in mine as it was the largest I could find 2 years ago that would fit and was ins stock.

It's 74AH, 680CCA. The one above is bigger and therefore, in a 996 mucho better!

yo_clarkie said:
Due to the weak starter motors in a 996, and a power cable from the front to the back of debatable quality... The largest one you can get in there!

Bosch and Varta are good, others are as well, cheap ones not so much.

S5 from Bosch is 5 yr warranty, S4 is 4, S3 is 3. You gets what you pay for.

I have a 574.035 in mine as it was the largest I could find 2 years ago that would fit and was ins stock.

It's 74AH, 680CCA. The one above is bigger and therefore, in a 996 mucho better!

thanks for all the advice.. will go for either the S5008 or S5010 then I guess (assume the S5010 as that would be the logical replacement for the S4010 that's already in there).

Mine is / and will be connected to a CTEK too - so that should help keep it in tip top going forward.

I do need a new starter motor as well i think.... 1/5 starts ups it makes a squeak noise for a moment.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlb81
Back