Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 has most space in the rear?

Roro

Well-known member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
7,459
Sounds a silly question, but I assumed it was the 991 until I sat in the back of one.

Personally I think the 997 is bigger in the back, but maybe I've just got a bit fat in the last year or so :dont know:

Are the older 911's (specifically 993, 964) really that much smaller in the back compared to say a 996 or 997?
 
MY1963-1968: 901 (short wheel base)
MY1969-1997: 911B-993
MY1998-2011: 996-997
MY2012: 991

In that order.
 
This 996 has the most space :nooo:
 

Attachments

  • porsche_911_delivery_van_protoscar_105.jpg
    porsche_911_delivery_van_protoscar_105.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 8,212
I always think the air-cooled cars feel more roomy inside (width excepted), but put that down to comparatively small A and B pillars and larger glass area, combined with a lack of safety kit like airbags and extra strengthening inside the doors and body...

:dont know:
 
Roro said:
:thumbs:

Am i reading that the right way round - so the 991 has the least space in the rear?

Erm, yes, OK, if that makes sense to you :eh!:
 
from my experience, my 996 turbo was the best for rear seat space. Kids had more room than in either the 993 or my 2.4
 
When I had a 991 for the day, I specifically tested out the rear seating. I am 5' 7", 70kg and medium build. I found the rear passenger compartment a bit bigger than my 997. This is what I was expecting because the wheelbase is longer on the new car than my 997. It was tad more comfortable too - but only a tad.

~ Maxie
 
I tried tne back seat in my 996 Turbo Cab this week, I wouldn't last more than 2 minutes. I'm mr average height and build wise, 6'0, average chest and leg but couldn't even sit striaght. The drivers seat had to be all the way forward for the dorr to be closed.

Not bothered as I only need two seats, I'm thinking of just removing the rear seats completely, may as well have the carrying room for holidays.
 
GT4 said:
MY1963-1968: 901 (short wheel base)
MY1969-1997: 911B-993
MY1998-2011: 996-997
MY2012: 991

In that order.

OK, for the hard of thinking:

Wheelbase
2,210mm
2,272mm
2,355mm
2,450mm

991, 4 up (GT4, 911UK testing out the back seats)

photo.JPG


Porsche_911_991_oficialni_dalsi_14_800_600.jpg


original-1964-porsche-911-and-the-type-991-2013-porsche-911-carrera-4s_100417990_l-602x363.jpg
 
A GT2/3 without cage - does this help?
 
That is sort of cheating.

That's like saying, which is bigger in the rear, a Volvo estate or a Volvo estate with a Labrador in it.

Besides, all 901-991 have or had full Motorsport versions, so those must have the most room - they don't even come with sound deadening or carpets!
 
997 Targa has a good bit of space, or at least feels very roomy.
 
Roro said:
Are the older 911's (specifically 993, 964) really that much smaller in the back compared to say a 996 or 997?

Yes - significantly. However, it is perhaps worth pointing out that they have still yet to build one with enough rear headroom for a guy of even slightly over average height for this country. The back seats are for children, small adults, luggage or people who can contort themselves for the duration of the journey. Even the latest one is strictly a 2+2, not a 4 seater.
 
Disco said:
Roro said:
Are the older 911's (specifically 993, 964) really that much smaller in the back compared to say a 996 or 997?

Yes - significantly. However, it is perhaps worth pointing out that they have still yet to build one with enough rear headroom for a guy of even slightly over average height for this country. The back seats are for children, small adults, luggage or people who can contort themselves for the duration of the journey. Even the latest one is strictly a 2+2, not a 4 seater.

I agree with you but you could argue that is sensible product differentiation. If you need four seats and want sporty performance and a Porsche badge buy a panamera or a cayenne, if you want two seats buy a boxter or certain 911s but if you want the option of occasionally taking a couple of extra passengers then go for one of the 911s that has back seats.
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,065
Messages
1,436,840
Members
48,464
Latest member
CS4997Gen1
Back
Top