Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheels

Pete Melsom

Silverstone
I hate to display my ignorance this way, but could someone explain what a split-rim wheel is? Does it have any advantages/disadvantages over a non split-rim. Are there any special considerations when fitting new tyres? Any suggestions as to why Porsche would have chosen to fit split-rims as standard on 993 Targa's?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33439

from what i understand its originally so that you could fit a wider rim and still use the centre of the wheel........although these days its more for cosmetic reasons as opposed to practical purposes that they orignally were for ie racing etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33441

I think Roddy has a point - also for lightness - applying two different types of metal for the wheel - centre part as light as possible and very rigid (maybe tend to brittle) and rim from a heavier metal - less brittle and therefore more able to take knocks etc. Using the two together works out much lighter than a single cast wheel made from a single alloy....

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33442

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by LOJO on 06 September 2005

I think Roddy has a point - also for lightness - applying two different types of metal for the wheel - centre part as light as possible and very rigid (maybe tend to brittle) and rim from a heavier metal - less brittle and therefore more able to take knocks etc. Using the two together works out much lighter than a single cast wheel made from a single alloy....

LJ

yeah thats what i was meaning :oops:
............honest

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33444

Roddy you were absolutely right because racing drivers used to have various width inner and outer rims for different conditions and tracks and wet and dry tyres. So on a racing weekend you could take the tyre off, swap the rims on the centre part and move the offset of the hub vs. the tyre - ie. put a narrower 'inboard' rim and a wider 'outboard' rim would have the effect of pushing the tyres further outside of the bodywork and vice versa.

Not feeling very articulate but basically you were 100% right.

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33468

Are the split rims on the Targa real split rims or just normal wheels with bolts stuck on to look like split rims?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33469

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 07 September 2005

Are the split rims on the Targa real split rims or just normal wheels with bolts stuck on to look like split rims?
nope they are very much real split rims...... which make them difficult & expensive to get the bolts refurbed !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33475

And the split rim Targa wheels are heavy too. I think the style is nice and that can be the only reason Porsche decided to use them on the Targa. BTW the lightest wheel is the standard 17" wheel.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33483

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997
Back