Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What is this wheel??

Mike,

Go to design911.co.uk. Choose interior, steering wheels non airbag - looks like the first one listed - RS steering wheel, £159.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37303

Thanks a bunch, this looks like the one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37305

Mike - that looks like the so called 930 S wheel

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37308

You thinking of fitting it to your C2S?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37309

That is an idea of mine, I don't like the stock item, have tried to live with it but....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37360

Mike

It's a nice wheel which would leave a very uncluttered view of the instruments. IMO a definite improvement as long as it still has the air bag.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37362

no airbag methinks.........

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37366

Yeah, no air bag...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37369

Air bag not needed, managed this long without one.. :wink:
The stock wheel does not do it for me so looking to change it some time as well as the brakes and the exhaust.... :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37638

Careful Mike! This could be a big Insurance invalidation issue if not notified.

Changing from a standard air bag to a non standard wheel with no air bag could also mean a big hike in the premium as well. :roll:

What about using the later 996 three spoke air bag wheel which is a direct replacement? :D

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37643

Insurance is such a bloody scam - I saw the damage a passenger-side airbag does to a Ford Focus - smash the windscreen, rips the dash apart and 'airbad needs re-loading - that will be about a grand'. What I am saying is no matter what damage you do to yourself, the car will be cheaper to fix with the bag removed, so why the hike in premium?

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37680

LJ

" the car will be cheaper to fix with the bag removed, so why the hike in premium?"

Because humans cost more to 'fix' than plastic and metal! Removing the air bag increases the risk to the human as far as Insurance companies are concerned - if not, manufactures would not instal them.

Personally I think Jeremy Clarkson has the right idea. "Remove all safety features from all cars and replace air bags with a big spike pointed straight at the drivers chest". Alright until the other guy/gal hits you head on!

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37686

Our company Insurance is about 6k a year and I have the pleasure of not giving a damn what the ins co think, they get paid enough. They have to insure what I drive modded or other wise.

"Remove all safety features from all cars and replace air bags with a big spike pointed straight at the drivers chest".

This reminds me of my first car in '67 it was a Frogeye Sprite, the steering column was about 5 foot long. If that didn't impale you then the sheet glass screen ripped your face apart and the steel pedestle that supported the rear view mirror took your eye out as you flew past it. seat belts were not fitted either. Well Iam still here (just)after hitting a truck head on in it back in '71, car didn't fair too well though it was about 12" shorter after. :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37797

Mike

Go for it - and if Insurance is not a problem then why not go for the Turbo as well?

You sound of the same vintage era as myself. I nearly bought a Frogeye Sprite back in those days but had a Triumph TR3 instead. Now I drive the wifes 1990 Morgan Plus8 which to this day are still manufactured without an air bag or ABS brakes!

The Morgan used to be mine from new, but when I wanted a Porsche, she would not let me sell it - so I had to give it to her in order to get permission to buy my 993.

Highly modified with a 4.5 litre TVR engine I'm ashamed to say it is far quicker and nimbler than the 993 up to about 70 miles an hour - when with the aero dynamic shape of a brick, the Porsche then gets the upper hand.

I have to ask permission now to drive it! :wink:

Jo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 37808

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back