Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Went shopping, nothing so far.

Igurisu

So I started to go look at cars in the metal today, first time since I decided to get a 996.

First was a C4S 996 near Preston, looked good in photo's and the advert. Gave the dealer a call, asked a few questions, mainly about service history and recent work done. All sounded good so went for a look. First impressions were good, the car looked stunning in Cobalt Blue. A couple of scuffs/scratches on the passenger door trim and a couple of small scratches on the skirt below the passenger door, nothing too major. Started it up, took it for a quick spin (my first time to drive a 911) :)

I was a little concerned when the dealer wanted to show me the PSE working, he started the car from cold, held the revs at 6k then proceeded to turn the PSE off and on so I could listen to it. Sounded great but not how I would treat a car.

Clutch felt heavy and had no travel, but as it was my first time I'm not sure what normal is. Apart from that it drove great, slick gear changes, just a shame it was an industrial estate with speed humps :(

When I got back, I checked the service history, last service was 2.5 years and 16k miles ago (despite being told on the phone it was all up to date). From my amateur inspection I think it needed at least new discs at the rear plus it needs 4 new tyres. With 57k on the clock I guess it will also potentially need a clutch soon.

It wasn't cheap, really at the top end of price range for what wasn't a top end car so I walked away.

Then went to look at a TT, that was only a quick look, was a convertible kept inside but the blue hood had plenty of bird cr*p splattered across it :( Despite me calling an hour prior to visiting and told everything would be ready for an inspection and drive, the car was boxed in and apparently had a flat battery. They let me open the door but asked me not to put the key in the ignition. Inside was pretty tatty, bits of trim missing which I found in the drivers door pocket :eek:

So, it was good to see the cars in the metal, good for the missus to see and say she likes them (not neccessary but it helps) :p

I'll keep looking and try to see more. I have a spannerman who knows his way round porkers and when I find something I'm happy with then I'll let him loose on it.

I have my eye on a 996TT that is my ideal colour and spec, but its in London and slightly out of my budget. If its still there at Easter then I may take a weekend trip to the capital to look at that. If not I'll keep looking, planning to put the CLK up for sale around Easter time so that will also contribute to the kitty :thumbs:

There are plenty around so you are taking the right approach, keep your eye on the classifieds on here for a private sale, I like buying enthusiasts cars rather than dealers who 9/10 times just can't seem to be bothered.

I *totally* sympathise with you. Over 6 months, I looked at (and dismissed) 9 cars.

They ALL had varying issues from tatty condition, CAT D (!), leaks (both water-based and oil), faults, wheels, suspension knocks.

Stick with it.
Be prepared to travel though.

Go and see lots of cars - even if you have no intention of buying them (this comment caused some "hoo haa" on here when I said it: BUT how else are you going to try them out or even sit in one? That's what dealers are for!)

The key thing being that when you find the ONE, you will know straight away.

I did. Had to travel 200-odd mile to (a) see it, and (b) do it again to collect the car.

And DO get an inspection. Even if you use it as a bargaining tool.

Here's some links to my "hunt" threads -

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

dan 8)

ScoobyDoo555 said:
I *totally* sympathise with you. Over 6 months, I looked at (and dismissed) 9 cars.

They ALL had varying issues from tatty condition, CAT D (!), leaks (both water-based and oil), faults, wheels, suspension knocks.

Stick with it.
Be prepared to travel though.

Go and see lots of cars - even if you have no intention of buying them (this comment caused some "hoo haa" on here when I said it: BUT how else are you going to try them out or even sit in one? That's what dealers are for!)

The key thing being that when you find the ONE, you will know straight away.

I did. Had to travel 200-odd mile to (a) see it, and (b) do it again to collect the car.

And DO get an inspection. Even if you use it as a bargaining tool.

Here's some links to my "hunt" threads -

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

dan 8)

This is bang on. Great advice. I read scooby's posts as part of my research before buying and did pretty much as he described above. Drove 4 of the cars I viewed, 2 of which I knew I wasn't going to buy, just to get a feel for what cars of differing prices, specs and standards are like. Only scruple I had here was that I didn't do this with private sellers- my twisted logic here was that a dealer has the necessary backup to deal with a prang or incident whereas it would be painful for a private seller. As I said, twisted logic.

I looked at 8 cars in the end (did it all over a week or so inbetween clients) and what that did was give me a feel for what I could expect at my budget. The car for you is out there but you may need to travel for it- I covered nearly 1100 miles in that week.

As stated above when you get a bit more clued up the right car will jump out at you when you see it- mine did- I don't know how to describe it, the car will just be 'right'. Get an inspection to confirm before you part with your hard-earned and you'll be fine.

Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks for the input guys, I'm basically using the same strategy as mentioned by both Scooby and Big25. I need to look at more cars so I know the difference between good, average and bad. I do need to travel as there just aren't that many TT's this side of Birmingham (3 within a 25 mile radius of my home) :mrgreen:

I also won't test drive a private sellers car unless I believe I'm going to buy it, even then I'd rather the inspector, whether its my local guy or somebody else drove it, that would be a better use of a test drive.

Just from the two I saw yesterday there was a huge gap in the cars, I'd have said one was average one one was very poor.

Interestingly, the C4S dealer offered me way too much for my CLK as a part ex, that also rang warning bells.

I've emailed a couple of sellers on Pistonheads, one in London and one in Hampshire, so I may need a weekend away, I'll try to line up a couple of others. The wife enjoys that bit, she gets a nice hotel, evening out and dinner when I go look at cars :)

Is it worth linking cars on here? I'm wondering if 996 TT's are rare enough to be known by club/forum members?

/edit... I would like to buy private if possible from somebody who has cherished the car. I don't place much stock in third party warranties and in reality a dealer will always spend the absolute minmum needed to turn the car round. They are in business to make money after all.

I think it's a good sign of a "decent" purchaser who wont go for tyre-kicking drives in private sales. Just not the done thing imho.

The other thing that did cause some confusion was the pricing of the cars..... as condition (or perceived condition) is the prerequisite, not necessarily the price.
Which is confusing.
The general rule of thumb being that the more you spend, the better/newer the car. Not necessarily the case with 996s :D

I looked at virtually everything from bargain basement £8k to £22k...... some of the £8k stuff was in better condition than the pricier stuff.

Dan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macca2000
Back