Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Well that sure doesn't look right!

It's hard to see from the photo angle and video whats wrong IMHO. What do you thinks not normal?

What did you do, jump it. Previously owned by the Dukes of Hazzard 8)

Alex said:
It's hard to see from the photo angle and video whats wrong IMHO. What do you thinks not normal?

This bit isn't on such a jaunty angle on the passenger side.

Attachments

• vlcsnap_2021_06_02_22h24m08s222_277~2_122.png
    vlcsnap_2021_06_02_22h24m08s222_277~2_122.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,008
Thats just your bump stop by the looks of it. Its a rubber bung that stops the suspension making a bang if it bottoms out.

Alex said:
Thats just your bump stop by the looks of it. Its a rubber bung that stops the suspension making a bang if it bottoms out.

Maybe It's me, bit It still looks wildly off centre to me, compared to the other side where it sits more centrally.

But yes it's the bump stop that's visible so I'm going to take the wheels off tomorrow and get a better look ar the strut rod itself.

Attachments

• screenshot_20210602_231821_257.png
    screenshot_20210602_231821_257.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,986
If there was anything wrong with that strut you'd know about already. Bump stop is probably just worn or squashed.

Alex said:
If there was anything wrong with that strut you'd know about already. Bump stop is probably just worn or squashed.

Shhh. I just want an excuse for coilovers.

She does track straight on the motorway, on my favourite twisty bit of road though the front end feels vague and unbalanced, which is what made me take a look.

I should add this car is new to me so I'm just going through everything to make it as perfect as possible.

I appreciate your help :)

1st job is 4 wheel alignment check. Kwikfit do the check for free. Then once you've got that you have a plan.

Just to confirm as per Alex,s comment .. shocks are normal but the bump stops are " perished " is how i would describe them .. worn out or broken is another but no attention is needed unless you are doing work there .

geo ... yup .

Thanks gents, Just took the wheel off and yes, in the daylight they look fine (apart from the bump stop which is a bit wonky).

I'll get the alignment sorted as it definitely feels unsettled when pushed a bit.

I've also checked the tyre pressures which were a little bit low all round.

CrunkleFloop said:
I'll get the alignment sorted as it definitely feels unsettled when pushed a bit.

Word of warning: You'll get the alignment checked, not sorted. There's a good chance if the alignment is out it won't be able to be adjusted due to the eccentric bolts in the lower suspension arms (that control adjustment) are seized in the arms. The bolts will need to be cut out and replaced along with any suspension arm they relate too. Not an easy task but needs must.......and higher up the pecking order than some new coilovers.

:agree:

Yup .. these cars are not young anymore and this is becoming more and more common that items are seizing in place ..

Cutting out arms is not fun .. i hate it to be honest .

The front lower arms were replaced in the last few years so fingers crossed they're okay.

Car is going for it's alignment check (and hopefully adjust) tomorrow.

There's a slight rattle on the NSF which hopefully is something simple like a droplink.

The front arms aren't adjustable, only the rears.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malaking
Back