Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wavering oil pressure

Bazza456

Had my '04 turbo since last November. Absolutley love it - even more than my beloved NSX of a few years back.
Usually the oil pressure sits on '5' at anything over 2000 rpm, but I have noticed that sometimes when running a lower speeds the needle wavers around a bit - by as much as a segment. Is this anything to be concerned about or is it just a dodgy sender? :?:

Bazza456 said:
Had my '04 turbo since last November. Absolutley love it - even more than my beloved NSX of a few years back.
Usually the oil pressure sits on '5' at anything over 2000 rpm, but I have noticed that sometimes when running a lower speeds the needle wavers around a bit - by as much as a segment. Is this anything to be concerned about or is it just a dodgy sender? :?:

Mine does the same... :?:

I'm probably the least experienced person on here but I'd say normal. Once the oil is up to temp I believe it should read from 1.5 to 2 at idle and then anywhere in-between depending on load and revs but should be up to 4.5 and above when accelerating. Someone else will confirm (or otherwise) soon . . . .

Yes I know, but I think we both means that it is a bit jumpy.

Regards
Stefan
Dk

Bazza456 said:
Is this anything to be concerned about or is it just a dodgy sender? :?:
The sensor is a common complaint on the turbo motor so sounds like a good place to start.

For the cost of a replacement oil sender, if this is worrying you, then just replace it for a new one. When hot (temp gauge at 80) pressure at idel should be 1.5 - 2.0 bar. Normal driving as you accelerate and increase revs, the pressure usually is around 4.0 or 4.0+

Key is the presuure when hot at idle - min 1.5bar is what you want to be at using Mobil 1 0W-40 (OPC recommended oil).

Many thanks for the posts. I'll stop worrying now!
At idle the gauge shows a steady 2.0 so all must be fine.

Just enjoy the car whilst we are in the summer period. Porsche in general can lead owners to worry about every little thing that we wouldn't worry about in a Mondeo! Just read how many threads there are here about squeaks and rattles, should I change my exhaust studs as they corrode? (if it ain't broke don't fix it), my car only boosts to 0.8 bar, should I be worried? how do I know if my rads are leaking (even though the coolant level is rock steady at the max mark on level ground) etc.

but not to be confused with issues such as "I've got white/yellow mayo on my oil filler neck cap and the water has an oily film to it in the coolant tank. Or I'm losing coolant on the drive and the level is going down after a top up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueteddybear
Back