Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water coolant temperature

Cayenne2008

Hi everyone

So water coolant temperature on my Cayenne 957 turbo was always at 80 once it warmed up an never went above. I notice recently is started going a bit higher, 90 sometimes 100 and then dropping back to 80. it never goes into the red (120)

Is this normal or do I have a fault somewhere?

thanks

For this time of year in the UK, that does sound a bit odd. Depends where you are.

Normally, mine sits at 80 ish all the time once warm. Does the fan come on properly?

I'm London, so hasn't been particularly warm the last few weeks. I think the fan's ok, but the engine does feel a bit rough on initial startup. It seems to vibrate and make more noise than usual

It might be worth running the engine at standstill for 15 minutes or so and seeing if the radiator fan/s kicks in at a higher speed when warm.

It/they should certainly speed up when the AC is enabled and slow when turned off.

There are a few possibilities, including a faulty thermostat, but the fan/s would be my first check after coolant has been confirmed OK.

A £10 infrared thermometer from Ebay is useful in troubleshooting this as you point the red laser dot at various cooling pipes and can check that coolant is flowing properly.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353456204097?hash=item524ba1a941:g:xkMAAOSwjJVgdrFy

I jut thought of something. there was a clicking noise coming from the front of the engine bay, my mechanic sprayed some WD4O on it and it stopped, but came back now. don't know if its related

My guess would be that one of the two fans might be a bit iffy .. clicking noise perhaps .

As it gets hot but then cools down then it suggests at least one fan is working .. high temp might be activating the secondary one .

Basically it's a look at the fans and see if both kick in along with a fault code test of all control units .

A thermostat tends to fail in the open position .. if it failed closed then the car Will overheat .

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. it's funny yesterday I drove to Leicestershire, 4 hour trip in total and it stayed constant at 80. Then back in London in stop/start traffic it went higher again, to around 90

Cayenne2008 said:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. it's funny yesterday I drove to Leicestershire, 4 hour trip in total and it stayed constant at 80. Then back in London in stop/start traffic it went higher again, to around 90

It needs the fan when their isn't constant airflow through the rads, such as town stop/start traffic.

That pretty much nails it as a fan issue. Cooling and air flow is fine at speed, but not when it needs fans to create air flow when barely moving.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back