Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranty question, yes or no???

now in white

I've got a 997.2 c4s gen 2 2010 which i bought nearly six months ago. It came with APG assist warranty which I was a little sceptical about. I must admit when the fuel pump went bang they were excellent, car was recovered from home, a new fuel pump fitted at my choice of garage (Williams Crawford) etc etc, no bill for me, largish one for them. So, the question is, to renew the warranty for the next year or not? 12 months including full rescue recovery at £999 for the year. £5000 limit per claim max but as a gen 2 I'm hoping the engine is reasonably robust! I've got a few decent road trips lined up so will probably put 6000 miles on it this year. I can get a good recovery plus type service for about £85. I'm not a natural gambler so interested in other peoples views. Have a good weekend and drive with a smile!

I'm a big believer in having a warranty, especially the official Porsche one, but in your position I don't know what I'd do. It's only the engine and gearbox that would break that claim limit and with a Gen2 that shouldn't be an issue.

As you're planning to use the car away from home the peace of mind would probably sway me to say 'yes'.

It really depends on the history of the car - the mileage, service history, etc.- and your annual budget to give that peace of mind. I don't know the extent of the coverage afforded by APG - which parts are covered and what is not under wear&tear.
Personally I would rather spend £999 on making sure the car was in good order and well maintained, or mods! Having a recovery service just makes sense and you can always shop around each year for a good deal.

Would go the OPC warranty route every time.
Peace of mind, and not vastly more expensive that the £999 already quoted.

DRZ911 said:
Would go the OPC warranty route every time.
Peace of mind, and not vastly more expensive that the £999 already quoted.
I've got a feeling you have to undergo an inspection before which they charge for and then rectify anything they demand before they'll take it on. This is the price without these perhaps expensive requirements.

T8 said:
I'm a big believer in having a warranty, especially the official Porsche one, but in your position I don't know what I'd do. It's only the engine and gearbox that would break that claim limit and with a Gen2 that shouldn't be an issue.

As you're planning to use the car away from home the peace of mind would probably sway me to say 'yes'.

Thanks, still on the fence. I'll give the OPC a ring to discuss.

An OPC 111 point inspection will cost you over £200 and will flag up any non-standard parts that would need replacing before they'd allow a warranty.

The upside is that it would also flag up any current issues with the car that you may be able to claim for under your existing warranty.

If you go the OPC warranty route it would cost you c£1000 for 1 year or c£1850 for 2 years but wouldn't include Porsche assist. If you added that it would cost a lot more than the £85 you can get yourself.

On the flip side, I've never used these types of warranty (nor UK breakdown cover, but did have cover for European roadtrips).

All the warranties are essentially Insurance products, on average they will make some margin on them. It is worth insuring for the risk if you would be uncomfortable/struggle to pay for the worst case scenarios or if you think you will need it / use it.

£1k goes a long way towards preventative maintenance. I send my cars to be serviced every year with their MOT and would complete any jobs that were flagged at the same time.

I've been intrigued by the maths of warranty/Insurance on the basis the house/provider always wins.

How many participants would we need in a not-for-profit 911uk warranty syndicate?

At a grand a year for the warranty I'd be tempted to bank it in the reserves pot. Find a trusted Indy to look after the car and keep on top of preventative maintenance. Also they're more likely to try and fix a problem rather than replace with a new part every time.

Terry ( T8 ) is a strong advocate of OPC warranty and I agree in principle for some cars but being tied in to having the car serviced by OPC at eye watering costs does cause me to baulk :bandit:

Zingari said:
....... Terry ( T8 ) is a strong advocate of OPC warranty and I agree in principle for some cars but being tied in to having the car serviced by OPC at eye watering costs does cause me to baulk :bandit:

I am indeed as it's worked out well for me over the last 7 years.

If you ignore the new gearbox that Porsche fitted to rectify a minor oil leak at the engine/gearbox join I reckon that I break even between what I've paid for OPC servicing and the warranty and what I've had replaced in that time.

The 'free' gearbox and 7 years peace of mind have made it all worthwhile - and my 82k mile engine is still covered until next February. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outrigger
Back