Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

warranty OPC

stokie1

Spa-Francorchamps
A car dealer mate of mine mentioned to me that is was illegal for manufacturers to force you to use their workshops to keep warranties valid

Isnt that just what Porsche do

Mine has a warranty and would love an indi to service rather than a main dealer

Anyone come across this?

No they don't. That may be the case with a new car warranty but the approved used warranty allows servicing or repair at any VAT registered business using genuine Porsche parts. This confirmed for me by the dealership and Porsche GB. They will even allow minor stuff, ie fitting intake grills by the owner.

During Manufacturer's warrnaty: YES (breaches EU consumer laws)
During Extended Warranty: NO (they can stipulate anything they like in a discretionary contract)

Well, GT4, I have recently bought from a main dealer and have in writing from him and Porsche GB exactly what I quoted. They also stated that the warranty is with Porsche and not an independent Insurance company.

bertyw said:
Well, GT4, I have recently bought from a main dealer and have in writing from him and Porsche GB exactly what I quoted. They also stated that the warranty is with Porsche and not an independent Insurance company.

It's been claimed lots of times but you'd be the first to prove it; are you able to scan the Porsche GB letter please? That'd be really useful to us all.

bertyw said:

They put in writing you can fit intake grills?

Looks like the Chestnut Tree Hospice is getting another £50 if you can post that :thumb:

The relevant paragraph from the Porsche Centre Principle :-

'Your warranty will be valid if you use a VAT registered unauthorised repairer to carry out service work as long as Porsche parts are used.'

I can't scan the whole letter as it's rather long and mostly deals with a couple of complaints. I queried because the sales manager assured me that this was the case, including fitting of grills by myself, as the written contract contradicted this I thought it a good idea to get confirmation in writing which the principle supplied. I also contacted customer services at Porsche GB who confirmed that this was correct. As for fitting grills myself, I have done this on my previous 911's, haven't done so on this one yet, before doing so I will once again get written confirmation to specifically support the sales managers assurances.

Close, but no smoking radiators.

No Porsche representative can unilaterally modify the T&Cs of the warranty.

Unless he is paying out of his own pocket?

The fact is, if you wandered into any one of the other hundreds of OPCs around the world with your "peace in our time", they'd laugh at you.

Oh dear, the written word of Porsches representative binds them vicariously as his employer, I don't think that a centre manager would put in writing anything that is incorrect as the lawyers would make hay with him. However, I have e mailed Porsche GB raising once again these points and will return with their reply. Wish I knew everything like some on these forums. I think that you will also find that the switched on independents are also aware of this.

I'm sure the factory lawyers have bigger words.

To be fair, it's not really a level playing field, what with the way the Germans can create compound words with dozens of letters, simply by dropping the spaces.

'To be fair, it's not really a level playing field, what what with the way the Germans can create compound words with dozens of letters, simply by dropping the spaces.'

What on earth is that supposed to mean?

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

Thank goodness it wasn't something complicated, like the boiler-plate in a legaling-binding contract.

Beef regulation! Anyway, it would seem that through their legal representative Porsche have amended their contract, probably as a result of EU law. However, I await their reply, not that that will convince you I'm sure. By the way, how is it that Autoglass can fit a windscreen without voiding your warranty as long as it is OEM.

Why not use Warranty Direct?

Their Luxury-Care policy covers everything that a Porsche Warranty covers and is usually less expensive. They also cover 'Wear & Tear' issues which Porsche doesn't and the work can be done at either a Franchised Dealer or an Independent.

The cost-restriction for labour is £200 per hour which pretty much means you can go anywhere you like...

The other added benefit is that you can fit Michelin Super Sports without fear of voiding the warranty... :thumb:

bertyw said:
Beef regulation! Anyway, it would seem that through their legal representative Porsche have amended their contract, probably as a result of EU law. However, I await their reply, not that that will convince you I'm sure. By the way, how is it that Autoglass can fit a windscreen without voiding your warranty as long as it is OEM.

Same reason for the tyres and petrol!

What will convince me is posting it up, as requested.

(don't forget the intake grills wording)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back