Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VarioRam or not to VarioRam

Andyman

My shortlist of cars to look at on my return to the UK in 10 days to shapeing up nicely. Thanks for the advice so far and pointing me in the direction of some great resources on buying a 993

A question I have is how much difference does the later VarioRam make in every day driving.

I'm not planning on heading for 'The Ring' or even a track day so is the extra few BHP going to be that noticeable in every day use?

I read in an article that the VarioRam is also more economical, is this fact ?

The reason I ask is my shortlist has a mix of both engines. :?:

Views from those of you who have owned both would be appreciated :thumb:

Andy

When I was looking I wanted a varioram car. I bought a non-vario. There arerelatively few good cars out there, and you are looking to buy on condition. Therefore if you are wedded to one particular spec choice, your pool of potential cars becomes tiny.

A difference of 13hp (claimed) will be eliminated by the differences between cars, or by a sports cat, or by a remap, or..... In addition, I am led to believe that the gearing is slightly shorter on the pre-V cars.

As above.

Some additionion information for you is that the G50-21 gearbox, the so-called 'shorter ratio' i.e. earlier gearbox was fitted all the way up to nearly the MY97 cars, whereas Varioram was introduced for the MY96 cars onwards.

Therefore the alleged 'ideal' combination of power and acceleration is a MY96 car, which has varioram and the earlier gearbox.

Confusingly the later gearbox was the G50-20.

Looking at the underbonnet sticker tells you which gearbox each individual car has.

(AWD cars gearboxes are G64-21 and G64-20 and swop over at the same time as the above)

Doesn't matter IMHO. Varioram engine does look nicer though :oops:

orangecurry said:
Therefore the alleged 'ideal' combination of power and acceleration is a MY96 car, which has varioram and the earlier gearbox.

It's the one to have :thumb:

Andy's looking for a tiptronic. :thumb:

+1 varioram engine bay looks cool.

There is a good article on varioram here

http://www.instant-g.com/Products/36Conversion/VRAM.html

Incidentally the varioram only works properly if your throttle cable is set up correctly allowing both butterfly valves to open fully on the throttle body, it also relies on all the varioram actuators working (sometimes the diaphragms can split which means they don't function correctly).

The varioram throttle body is a double butteryfly valve as opposed to the single one on a non varioram.

I only say this as I know someone who had the throttle cable in the wrong locating position on their throttle body - so they were only getting half throttle movement; never the full 83 degrees. Once they realised this and corrected it the difference was amazing!

Definitely makes a big audible difference in engine note when you hit 5200rpm - in all gears. Still makes me smile when I hear it.

Seeing as you're asking ..

I DO think varioram feels more responsive at lower revs.. It's a very satisfying lump of power . Vario cars can also be driven in a lazier fashion if you want , and get good grunt from 3500rpm..
From memory , having driven non varios, they tend to give the power in a concentrated spurt from 4500 ish on. I felt more concentration was needed to keep the engine "on cam " for want of a better expression! Maybe this may suit you though!?

HOWEVER!! There is no doubt, I'd opt for a lovingly maintained pre over a mediocre vario!

As always , the best advice is drive as many of each as you can , and make a decision which type suits you best from there. You may well decide that there's less than a gnats whatsit of difference between the two, and that'll help keep all options open for you...

blindspot said:
When I was looking I wanted a varioram car. I bought a non-vario. There arerelatively few good cars out there, and you are looking to buy on condition. Therefore if you are wedded to one particular spec choice, your pool of potential cars becomes tiny.

A difference of 13hp (claimed) will be eliminated by the differences between cars, or by a sports cat, or by a remap, or..... In addition, I am led to believe that the gearing is slightly shorter on the pre-V cars.

That is an odd comparison, assuming all cars are bought on condition, a nice VR will have more power, torque and drivability than a non-VR.

Of course a poorly VR will find life hard against a healthy non-VR, but then so too would a poorly non-VR against a healthy VR.

And either can be mapped or de-cat'd.

As for gearing and economy, the later VRs ran longer-legged gear ratios, so they are about as quick as non-VRs (but faster top speed and better fuel economy).

However, MY96 had both VR and the Gxx.21 short ratio gearbox, resulting in the quickest (if not the most economical) 993 Carrera.

Cheerrs guys , nice to have feedback from folks who have owned the cars :drive:

At the moment my preference is for a Tip due to having had auto or DSG for the last 8 years and the benefits for me, in day to day traffic, outweigh the rare occasions when you can 'let rip' without getting into trouble the :cop:

Saying that I'm not discounting any car in excellent condition , Tip or Manual and as you say I need to try.

There are very few silver with red interior cars out there (a nice colour combo in my book) is it that they weren't that popular or do folks hang on to them? :?:

Viewings will start week commencing 22 April when I'm back in the UK will keep you posted. :)

There's 2 points in my post, GT4. First, there are relatively few good cars so you must buy on condition.

Second, if that leads you to a non-VR, the 13hp difference may be made up by small, inexpensive mods.

Alles klaar?

Andyman said:
There are very few silver with red interior cars out there (a nice colour combo in my book) is it that they weren't that popular or do folks hang on to them? :?:

Both :D

If anyone want's to sell their Silver and Red 993 (preferably Tip) to fund something else just let me know :)

blindspot said:
There's 2 points in my post, GT4. First, there are relatively few good cars so you must buy on condition.

Second, if that leads you to a non-VR, the 13hp difference may be made up by small, inexpensive mods.

Alles klaar?

I believe I covered both (and indeed gave examples of the possible scenarios).

Have you considered being less self-righteous, pompous and pernickety? It seems to often be you that introduces discord to threads where none is required. Maybe you have a very dry sense of humour, but you come across more like that snidey sixth former who argues with everyone regardless of whether a difference of opinion exists.

Sorry OP, this is somewhat off topic.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
246dbo
Back