Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Used Cayenne Advice

Mihigo

Hi,

I am considering a used Cayenne. Unfortunately due to my budget of £20k it is going to be an older model (which might not be a bad thing in the end).

I'd also appreciate if there was a guide or if anyone had any advice to specific issues that certain models had, and things that may need done at certain mileage points so I know what to look out for.

In terms of specifications and optional extras, is there anything from a mechanical point of view people would consider as a must have? Or if there is anything in particular I should look for specifically overall?

Thanks

hiya, are you impacted by a ulez zone or not ?

hiya, are you impacted by a ulez zone or not ?
Hi mate.

No, there will be an ULEZ zone in Edinburgh soon, but mostly for city centre, in which I'd never drive to anyway in normal times so not worried about that.

avoid the early 955 gen 1 cars 2004-2006

post 09, three quarters of cars were diesel and only from 2015 with the 958 gen 2 were they Euro 6 emission compliant for ulez
ever petrol car is ulez compliant

for £20k there will be a few high mileage 958 Gen 2 cars
otherwise you're in 958 Gen 1 cars for a sub £20k budget, where you will have a good choice

a few online guides

buyers guides, are on the list to be added to the site

Thanks will take a look.

Hopefully I can source one an get contributing to the site.

the 3.0 litre 958.1 diesel is the best value option 2010-2014, if ulez isn't issue

if you need off-road ability then the previous 957 gen 2007-2009 is the best option, petrol or diesel

Horses for courses. I don't do a lot of mileage, so prefer the petrol Turbo V8's. Even my 955 E81 kitted Turbo is ULEZ friendly, where my Euro 5 VW Transporter 2.0 Diesel isn't. The 955 Turbo is also pretty much problem free by this age, as the design faults, like the plastic coolant pipes will have been done by now. No bore score issues on the Turbo V8's either probably due to oil spray on the under side of the piston crown, keeping piston temps lower.

My main boxes were Pan roof, air suspension and a light interior. I'm only ever a fan of diesel for distance units, like my campervan.

15MPG (21 max), but in smiles per gallon, priceless!

My main boxes were Pan roof, air suspension and a light interior. I'm only ever a fan of diesel for distance units, like my campervan.

agree

must have options are the Panoramic sunroof, air suspension (hard to find) and electric seat memory

Also worth noting that many of these do not have DAB.

I'm was looking for a 4.2 diesel, but very few EURO6, so decided could also have a 3.0 D, but must have Air suspension, need to have access mode for the dog, also must have Dab as we only listen to Smooth Chill and Bose, and ideally want 18 way memory seats.

Looking online some are saying all 958 models apart from the 3 litre diesel and hybrid have the wet clutch transfer case which if not already on the revised version will need replacing at some point.

Does anyone know if that right that the 3 litre diesel doesn't have that transfer case and so is not effected?

I have asked Porsche and they don't even seem to know.

they do but the diesels and hybrid their cases are 50/50 cases, not the 'performance' 30/70 cases in the petrol cars

So do they have the issue with the vent pipe allowing moisture into the crank case the same as the other models and all the Macans?
I can't find a single thing online saying the 3 litres diesel on the 958 has an issue, and only mention of the 3 litre diesel is someone asking Porsche when the extension to the warranty on crankcases runs out on his car if it ever has an issue, to be told the 3 litre diesel is not covered as it is not affected.

Well, I’ve got a 3 L diesel 958.2 and I’ve never had the issue or it’s never been mentioned as a known weak point for this particular model of car

Thanks.

I think I am going to stop worrying about it and just buy one.

If it goes and I have to spend £1500 on a new one, so be it.

Also worth noting that many of these do not have DAB.

I'm was looking for a 4.2 diesel, but very few EURO6, so decided could also have a 3.0 D, but must have Air suspension, need to have access mode for the dog, also must have Dab as we only listen to Smooth Chill and Bose, and ideally want 18 way memory seats.

Looking online some are saying all 958 models apart from the 3 litre diesel and hybrid have the wet clutch transfer case which if not already on the revised version will need replacing at some point.

Does anyone know if that right that the 3 litre diesel doesn't have that transfer case and so is not effected?

I have asked Porsche and they don't even seem to know.

For DAB, hand free and iTunes streaming, I just use a little FM Bluetooth DAB transmitter mounted to the right of the clocks, so the wires for power, from the fuse box directly by it and the windscreen DAB antenna, placed behind the rear view mirror can be neatly hidden away. I powered it via an ignition live fuse location and leave the head unit tuned to FM Channel 1, which is the frequency of the DAB transmitter. It even displays the right DAB station on the head unit.

I do this on all my older cars. My 996 and VW t5.1 Campervan run the same setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nick Forest
Back