Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Upgrade shocks - recommendations

Paulb33

Monza
Time to upgrade my (slightly leaky, 60k miles...) stock shocks. Just looking for optimal ride on typical UK A- and B- roads. Tight....but not jarring. Seeking the best balance on 18" Turbo Twists on an otherwise stock C2S (M033).

Not looking to track...but am looking to get the best out of the chassis. I know there are many threads.....but what's current thinking? :thumb:

A classic 993 question ! If you want "optimal" ride quality, Ohlins R&T are well regarded if pricey - the dual valve system offering a compliant low-speed ride and "locked down" high speed body control.

Also heard good things about the recently Porsche Classic (Bilstein) dampers ... for some the M030 spring are a bit too aggressive, so maybe M033 ? (other folks on here will know more)

Also, 17" rims ... the narrower width helps to reduce tramlining on 993 (improved steering feel), and the 40/45 profile sidewall gives a more compliant ride. Plus they look cool :)

Cheers, Will

wfarrell said:
A classic 993 question !

Cheers, Will
Great feedback! :thumbs:

Paulb33 said:
wfarrell said:
A classic 993 question !

Cheers, Will
Great feedback! :thumbs:

I run Ohlins on my CarreraS and they are very good indeed. Especially love the integrated top mounts, build quality, combination of lateral stiffness and plush ride quality. Car copes with all types of bumps better but corners very flat now.

Much of it will depend on who sets it up for you. Centre of Gravity being the preferred choice, mine done at RPM Technik who have a similar set up for their CSR cars and did a super job with mine.

When I did my restore 12 years ago (how time flies!) at the time I personally felt the best combo for usability, handling and stance were M033 shocks & springs combined with M030 Antiroll Bars front and rear plus the all important geometry and corner balancing. You should also try to rebush other suspension components as much as you can, replace topmounts, put in c4 engine mounts (stiffer than c2, not as harsh as RS) as they all add to the overall handling experience. Granted everything was super cheap back then, not sure how much such a job would cost nowadays (back then the OEM M033 kit was £500-600!).

Now the stance looks just right, handling/cornering is nice and flat and ride is great.

I did mine a couple of years ago and went with M033 springs with Koni Sport Active shocks. I've retained the standard anti-roll bars and find it to be a comfortable yet flat and 'sporty' ride. These shocks are quite well priced compared to others.

Center Gravity is the place to go for set-up, who will also tell you what is likely to need replacement soon (I'm just about to replace the last part on the list, a couple of years later :grin: ).

Other handling improvements you may want to consider are poly front a-arm bushes (superpro or warlord) and pinning your tie rods (or replacing with GT2 parts) for more direct steering without impacting on comfort.

It's easy to go down a rabbit hole here and to throw parts (and money) at this for limited gain. I'd replace the shocks, springs and obviously failing parts first, then see what it feels like and take it from there.

I've got OEM M033 on my 993 with 18" wheels and it's superb, even on the very crappy roads where I live. Perfect blend of compliance and sport, with perfect ride height. Geo was done by CG.

I would thoroughly recommend Bilstein PSS10 coilovers.

They are night and day compared to MO30 setup I had, which on smooth roads was great but on rougher A & B roads, they were too harsh - tended to crash over potholes and the car was unsettled over bumpy roads.

By contrast the PSS10s much more supple on small bumps, no crashiness and the quality of damping is superb; making the car feel planted all the time. Bonus is that being coilovers you can adjust the ride height to make the car look right as well.

They cost a bit more than the springs/dampers, but when you factor in the costs for installation and set-up (particularly if you go CG) it's not actually that much more.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll keep all updated on my suspension update....🙌

Err.............Haven't you just paid top price for this 993 from an OPC :dont know:

It's somewhat miraculous that the shocks decided to leak the second it drove off the forecourt and I'd have expected shocks to have been done as part of preventative maintenance given the age. Or if it was a SOR they've turned a blind eye and collected their commission.

I know it's unrealistic to expect cars of this age to be perfect and you look to be finding 'issues' at the price point they shouldn't be there. :bandit:

Zingari said:
Err.............Haven't you just paid top price for this 993 from an OPC :dont know:

It's somewhat miraculous that the shocks decided to leak the second it drove off the forecourt and I'd have expected shocks to have been done as part of preventative maintenance given the age. Or if it was a SOR they've turned a blind eye and collected their commission.

I know it's unrealistic to expect cars of this age to be perfect and you look to be finding 'issues' at the price point they shouldn't be there. :bandit:

Errrr.....not sure what point you're making.

If you're suggesting that I'm using a slightly weaping shock as justification for a Billstein upgrade, then you're probably correct. I guess that I could pursue under the 12 month warranty, however, I'd prefer to pay for what seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

No miracles were involved. 👍

Keen to see what you go for, Paulb, and what the cost is - I plan to upgrade mine in the next 4-6 months... :thumb:

Porsche have re manufactured the original Monroe shocks in the corr3ct green colour if you want to keep original.

Otherwise speak to Centre of Gravity describe what driving style you're after and see what they recommend. A few years back Koni FSD were a top choice

Zingari said:
Porsche have re manufactured the original Monroe shocks in the corr3ct green colour if you want to keep original.

Otherwise speak to Centre of Gravity describe what driving style you're after and see what they recommend. A few years back Koni FSD were a top choice

Thanks, Zingari. It's one part of the car where technical advances may be worth pursuing. In other respects, I'm keeping true to factory including:
- new CDR11 radio cassette unit (with Bluetooth)
- reinstate orange signals front & rear
- revert to Cup II (maybe, depending on suspension conversations...)

Rightly or wrongly, I'm pragmatic about 'faults" with the car. Yes, I was buying from OPC but it was SOR on a 25 year old car so I'm also open minded. Niaive maybe, but I got the car I wanted. I have the warranty if the engine blows etc etc. And part of the joy is in the tinkering...

I take your inferred point though.

👍

thesmithsUK said:
Keen to see what you go for, Paulb, and what the cost is - I plan to upgrade mine in the next 4-6 months... :thumb:

Will do! It's a ~3 month journey for me. Just doing my diligence currently. The shocks aren't bad just showing their age after hard driving (and a decade in storage/300 miles per annum).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back